Thread: Eyenovate's clip on system?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Eyenovate's clip on system?

I wasnt able to attend VEE, but Ive read everyones posts about eyenovate's magnetic clip-ons and was intrigued.

I found the website, which has all kinds of information about the product, excluding how the clip actually attaches to the frame! It says there is an opposting magnet near the temporal edge of the original frames lenses, but it says nothing about how this magnet is held in place. Is it glued? Drilled? wrapped with a rubber band?

Im just curious if this product involves any permanent modification to the original frame.
    Life is too important to take seriously.
    WALDO!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrumblydumpus View Post
    I wasnt able to attend VEE, but Ive read everyones posts about eyenovate's magnetic clip-ons and was intrigued.

I found the website, which has all kinds of information about the product, excluding how the clip actually attaches to the frame! It says there is an opposting magnet near the temporal edge of the original frames lenses, but it says nothing about how this magnet is held in place. Is it glued? Drilled? wrapped with a rubber band?

Im just curious if this product involves any permanent modification to the original frame.

They supply you with big C-clamps to hold the magnets in.

No, Johns wears one and it looks like you drill a depression and use adhesive to mount the magnets. I imagine it will take a while before you get used to having a magnet in view, much like drillmount hardware.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Magnet is drilled into the RX lens

The magnet is drilled into the RX lens. The hole is bigger than the magnet, so there is NO sidewall pressure against the lens. The hole does not go all the way through the lens, only 1.5 mm deep in the lens. The magnet has a groove on the edge, like a grooved rimless frame. When the magnet is glued into the partial-depth hole, the glue curls up and fills in the ring of the groove. This creates a chemical bond between the magnet and the rx lens. When the glue sets in about 10 minutes, it creates a vacuum seal. When the Sunlens is being removed, it is pulling the magnet...but the vacuum bond, and the chemical bond keep it permanently sealed in place. Because there is no pressure against the sidewall of the RX lens, Chemistrie is compatible with ALL lens materials except glass and acryic. Four years ago I developed this and since then I've made over 3000 of them in my basement on a hand drill.. Thank god I'm out of the basement now! there are about 15 or so labs in the US who are Certified to manufacture....They are only able to be made on the ME-1000 Edger. the hand drill is not an option.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I saw them and also ordered them at VEE, but I'm sure I can make these on my LEX1000 as well, just w/o the software that Santinelli currently makes only for the ME.

They look great! I can't wait to have them follow me up for my order!

Barry

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Why can't they be done a Horizon?? and why didn't the rep ever call me back??

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Why can't they be done a Horizon?? and why didn't the rep ever call me back??

If you don't want to wait for the software update, you can always drill them by hand (with the assistance of your drill press).
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I found a frame I had banned from years ago that uses a similar method. It's called iClips and it's a drill mount that has the magnets mounted into the sunlenses via a similar method, but the magnets are still on the frame too on the hardware. I'll post some pics tomorrow or so.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    I-Clips are a ready made frame-and-clip set. The Sunlenses are 2.2 thickness, with pre-set colors and base curves. They only fit the i-Clip frames. Each lens has two sets of magnets, so they are applied one-lens at a time...

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by basecurved View Post
    I-Clips are a ready made frame-and-clip set. The Sunlenses are 2.2 thickness, with pre-set colors and base curves. They only fit the i-Clip frames. Each lens has two sets of magnets, so they are applied one-lens at a time...

Just wondering, do yours come in different base curves?
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    If you don't want to wait for the software update, you can always drill them by hand (with the assistance of your drill press).
    That's what I'm thinking!! Just be careful when using a standard drill and almost any edger. Think I can do 10 - 12 a day this way??

Occupation
    Chemistrie is available in 2,4,6,8,and 10 base in Polarized. Polarized Mirror +Back AR only up to 8 base.

Making Chemistrie on a Hand Drill is not recommended and strongly discouraged... it takes about 40 minutes to 1 hours as opposed to under 10 minutes with the ME-1000 edger...you'd have to change the drill bit 3 times just to make one chemistrie...hole alignment is different for every frame, so without the software of the ME-1000, you'll be going through one or two pair just to get alignment exactly correct.

Thread Information