Thread: How was Vision Expo 2009 in New York?

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper How was Vision Expo 2009 in New York?

Wondering how the show was. Some opinions would be interesting for all of us by anybody who was there.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Slow for frame vendors, or so I heard.

Digital/freeform was mobbed.

The most significant products I saw (and bought) were:

Diamond Smart mirror with POW measuring:

Fast, accurate Mon Pds, Heights, Panto, Vertex and Pano/faceform/dihedral angle.

Very impressive! I believe this (type) device is *essential* for any dispensary that recognizes the need to move to newer technology and differentiate their client's eyewear expereince from the internet (important!)

Eyenovate magnetic clip ons:

Put a magnetic clip on on *any* frame...ANY frame! Polarizing lenses in 16 colors and plano, 2, 4, 6 & 8 BC. Wonderful customer demonstrator (stereo viewer). A no brainer!

I'll have other stuff later.

Barry

OptiBoard Professional Excel-Lentes's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hi,

I went yesterday and have never seen it quieter in the past nine years. Marcolin actually rented a suite on Madison avenue and shuttled appointments back and forth to Expo. Lots of exhibitors were packing up around 3:30 even though the show ran till 5.

There was a lot of buzz around quality/value oriented frame booths. Galleria was pretty dead too. I wouldn't be surprised to find Expo moved to a more low-key venue or paired it down in the future. I stocked up pretty good on frames. There were some good deals to be had.

I hope for Expo's sake it was busier on Fri and Sat!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It was busiest, by all counts, on Sunday!

Barry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: vison expo

I was there on Saturday and Sunday. It seemed to be dead at the booths of many lesser-known companies and fairly busy at most of the better-known places. I never had to wait long to talk to someone.

Chris Ryser, I was hoping to see Optochemicals exhibiting at the show and was disappointed to see it not listed in the show guide.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I also went yesterday (Sun.) and concur the traffic seemed slow to moderate at best.

I think the new memory metal frame with stylish FITOVER package will be a hit and ordered a fair representation of styles and colors.

Although most vendors were petered out after the third day, you could walk right up to a booth and get immediate attention to inquire about their product.

There were some good show specials to take advantage of for those who had a need for product and $$ to spend.

Dislikes:
    The guys with the big, black, and expensive trucks had a personality worse than the carpet they were standing on. Not sure if they were getting paid to be there or not but the couches in their area were seeing more action by the guys wearing the sideways hats than those helping to demonstrate the product. Interesting and trendy product but there were many more vendors that demonstrated genuine gratitude for interest in their product that got my $$.

I would also like to see the expo downsized regionally to where more small guys can afford to attend. Overall the trip met my expectations as I had a specific agenda.

Occupation

Blue Jumper However I have been watching..............

Quote Originally Posted by jefe View Post
    Chris Ryser, I was hoping to see Optochemicals exhibiting at the show and was disappointed to see it not listed in the show guide.
    I stopped it about 6 years ago after having attended the last 2 Optifairs at the NY Hilton and Sheraton plus over 16 Vision Expos.

However I have been watching all these shows over the last few years. The big one in Germany seems to have died, Silmo got very weak and the largest, MIDO was also not very active this year.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The reasons these shows have decreasing attendance are:

1. The cost of attending them, as well as the business realized, is not conducive as in years past.
    2. The Internet makes the need to be/attend the shows less important/necessary

Interestingly, these are similar reasons to the ones that motivate the public to shy away from private ECPS and toward the internet for their eyewear/CL needs.

FWIW

Barry

Occupation

Redhot Jumper However that is just my personal opinion MPO...........

Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    1. The cost of attending them, as well as the business realized, is not conducive as in years past.
    2. The Internet makes the need to be/attend the shows less important/necessary
    You just about said it Barry..................................

1) Renting a double booth used to cost me close to $ 6000.00 and every other service was extra, like renting a plastic chair worth $10.00 cost $ 15.00 to rent and on and on. The Expo weekend for a small company was between 10,000 to 12,000 Dollars.
    The more booth exhibits a show has the faster the visitors wants to go to the next one.

2) On the INTERNET you can look at whatever website you want at your leisure, for as short or long you want. You can go back anytime you desire. I get many more visitors to my website in a single day than I could get for many expos combined and they spend over 7 minutes average year in year out.
    However that is just my personal opinion MPO

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation

Vee 2009

Expo was very different this year. Most of the vendors I spoke with, said the show was OK for them. It seemed that Friday was the busiest day and in fact , the frame vendors we spoke with were happy with Friday results. Had the new magnetic clips made up by Eyenovate- which I totally love. Great Idea! Gripping Eyewear has some very unusual concepts and if you can believe it- we were impressed by the Paris Hilton Collection- liked the concept and the design. Match Eyewear was jamming everytime we went by.

Eye Rock was fantastic- highly recommend it.
    Reed expo said the numbers were down by 30%. Part of the problem of the show: 1.) Mido changed their date and then SECO- makes it very hard for vendors to coordinate all these shows and with the expense.
    Plus with all the states and local societies providing CE, many Dr's don't want to go- it's unfortunate because VCA is very important to the eyecare industry and this is an important revenue stream for them.
    Cathy www.theopticalvisionsite.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I was there on Sunday. It looked kinda normal to me. Busy, but not crazy. I noticed Cooper Vision wasn't even there, and neither was Maui Jim. Jai Kudo was a no-show too. One small frame vendor I know didn't take a booth this year either. I have a feeling the equipment manufacturers were having a bad show. I don't know too many people who want to take on another monthly payment.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I was there Saturday.

The "technology" side on the left didn't have much traffic, and the booths seemed to be too big for the amount of display and furniture. Perhaps a single booth was expanded to double when the neighboring booth didn't rent out.

Frame side seemed pretty busy. Attendees seemed very focused and task oriented like they already knew what they wanted.

It seemed attendance was down, but those that did attend bought a lot.

Harry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Put a magnetic clip on on *any* frame...ANY frame! Polarizing lenses in 16 colors and plano, 2, 4, 6 & 8 BC. Wonderful customer demonstrator (stereo viewer). A no brainer!

Barry

Nice product. We've been using them for about 2 years, and started doing them in-house last August. They're a real no-brainer.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

vee

well i was there all three days and no doubt traffic was down, but can anybody be surprised with the way the economy is?.

I think we should all say thank you to the vendors who were there and spent ther money, so that we could have a show

Did get to spend a half hour with darryl meister at the zeiss booth, always interesting, stopped in and saw the pixel lens of tomorrow or whatever there calling it, but so far i,m not sure that this is going to work, but i applaud them for thier efforts.

hung around the revolution booth a good bit, but then with those models, why not, safilo put on a good show and had a houmongos booth and bar, but i could have done without that idiot cojo or whatever he calls himself.

Need to congratulate paris hilton for being an hour late, but thats paris.

seems like most years those who have something to sell, seem to do business.

Did get to see and talk with doc in china, once i figured out where the booth was, seemed like they listed cadillac eyewear by windsor, which most folks probably would not thought of

weather was mostly good, although they kept forecasting rain, it really never happened except early in the morning, actually was good walking weather, so we went down to chinatown and my wife and daughters now own numerous knockoffs, can you say CHANEL, about every half block asian lady would step out and say pocketbook, pocketbook, follow me

the joys of new york city, and if anyone thinks there is a recession try the toys r us up on 42nd street, 3 floors and just mobbed with people buying

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Slow for frame vendors, or so I heard.

Digital/freeform was mobbed.

The most significant products I saw (and bought) were:

Diamond Smart mirror with POW measuring:

Fast, accurate Mon Pds, Heights, Panto, Vertex and Pano/faceform/dihedral angle.

Very impressive! I believe this (type) device is *essential* for any dispensary that recognizes the need to move to newer technology and differentiate their client's eyewear expereince from the internet (important!)

I'll have other stuff later.

Barry
    The inventor of those Eyenovate magnetic clip ons is a friend of mine. Be ready for some other really cool things he'll be cooking up.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i was there friday and saturday i honestly didnt find any frames that offered something diffrent from the rest of the vendors i did like like clip on idea though

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    You just about said it Barry..................................

1) Renting a double booth used to cost me close to $ 6000.00 and every other service was extra, like renting a plastic chair worth $10.00 cost $ 15.00 to rent and on and on. The Expo weekend for a small company was between 10,000 to 12,000 Dollars.
    The more booth exhibits a show has the faster the visitors wants to go to the next one.

2) On the INTERNET you can look at whatever website you want at your leisure, for as short or long you want. You can go back anytime you desire. I get many more visitors to my website in a single day than I could get for many expos combined and they spend over 7 minutes average year in year out.
    However that is just my personal opinion MPO

And, those costs may have doubled in the ensuing years.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

Vision Expo

Hello, I'm Angela Pendergrass, Director of Trade Shows for The Vision Council. I've read the posts regarding Vision Expo and would like to take an opportunity to provide information from the show. While overall attendance was down, our numbers indicate approximately a 12% decrease. Vision Expo is the only optical event to audit its attendance by a third party which normally takes 6 weeks so final figures will come out then, but they're usually not that different from initial figures. Plus, Vision Expo counts an attendee only one time, regardless of how many days they attend or number of times they are scanned.

Twelve percent down is still around 13,500 people at the show and this does not include press or exhibitor staff. We've heard many positive reports that the quality of eyecare professionals at the show was wonderful.

I'm happy to listen to your personal comments. Please feel free to contact me through OptiBoard or at work at 703-740-9499 or apendergrass@thevisioncouncil.org. We also have a series of post show surveys where you can comment. These are carefully reviewed to make changes each year.

For ecps that attended: www.reedsurveys.com/VisionEastAtt09
    For exhibitors: http://www.reedsurveys.com/VisionEastExh09

If you didn't attend, I have two versions of a survey and I didn't want to make it overwhelming, so please contact me if you're interested in links to those short surveys.

Thread Information