Thread: Polarized Lenses and Splash tints

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Polarized Lenses and Splash tints

I find the biggest gripe from Polarized RX patients is the white ring around the edge. Almost 90% of our sun is Polarized, and on every order I request "Splash tint (grey, brown) to darken edge". I build the cost of the tint into my price of Polarized RX lenses so price is not an issue. I find that dip tinting Polarized lenses is better (and cheaper) than edge tinting.

So my problem is that every order my lab calls to find out what we are doing. They just don't understand what I am asking.

Am I the only one in the US who is tinting all their Polarized lenses? And how can I communicate to the lab what I want without getting 10 phone calls a week? In my mind, the note is self explanitory.

Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I use nothing but polar for sunglasses. I couldn't tell you the last time I had a sun that wasn't polar. I've never had a complaint about the edges. It may have been mentioned once in a while, but, never an issue.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If I have a patient who complains about the white ring I put a flash tint on polarized lenses myself when they come back from the lab. It eliminates the confusion (some people just don't understand :hammer:) and this way I can control the appearance. The only drawback, is I can't do this with AR coated lenses
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Edge tints

I guess "Camouflage" (by Hilco) is not around anymore, but it looks like "Hint of Tint" (Stormin Norman) still is.

Would not some of the rub on tint based products work to help cover the lamination line?
    J. R. Smith

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Are using mostly Poly for Plastic Polarized ? I am guessing plastic, since the raw edge of a poly lens won't take a tint. We used to use the Camoflage Pens, but can't get them anymore. If you ask the Lab to push the bevel more to the front of the lens (rather than 1/3 back) that may help minimize the white lines. If you are really desperate you could use a black or brown Sharpie marker.

Good luck !

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Edges of Poly can be tinted, see......................

Quote Originally Posted by billmdee View Post
    Are using mostly Poly for Plastic Polarized ? I am guessing plastic, since the raw edge of a poly lens won't take a tint. We used to use the Camoflage Pens, but can't get them anymore. If you ask the Lab to push the bevel more to the front of the lens (rather than 1/3 back) that may help minimize the white lines. If you are really desperate you could use a black or brown Sharpie marker.
    Edges of Polyc can be tinted, see:

http://optochemicals.com/poly_edgit.htm

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    And how can I communicate to the lab what I want without getting 10 phone calls a week? In my mind, the note is self explanitory.
    I have never had anyone complain about the white but when I think it is more obvious than usual I give it a dip at the store. Obviously your lab does not understand the term "splash tint". Personally I have never heard of it either but "edge tint" or "dip tint" I know. If you are getting 10 phone calls a week and holding up that many jobs why don't you buy a hotplate and a few dye pots so you can do it yourself? That way the extra charge you have built into the price is all yours.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In 7 years I have never heard of a "Splash Tint." If you are still going to order from the lab I would just write in the comments section that most lab orders have "Please dip in Grey(Brown etc) to tint edge of lens" and I have a feeling the number of calls from your lab will go down.

We used to use the Camouflage Pens, but I found they would flake off after a few washings. Like billmdee suggested I would use a sharpie to get rid of the white edge. I have done it when the edge is noticeable or pts complained of it. Quick easy way that didn't really cost anything since we have a ton of Sharpies in the office already. Try it out on some demos or your personal pair to see how it holds up.

~Crazy

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't think I have used it for this but Sharpie also makes a laundry marker pen called a Rub-a-Dub that is much more permanent than the regular sharpie. Will also write on more plastic surfaces with a higher degree of permanence than other markers. Doesn't come in colors other than black like Sharpie, but it's good stuff.

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I find the biggest gripe from Polarized RX patients is the white ring around the edge. Almost 90% of our sun is Polarized, and on every order I request "Splash tint (grey, brown) to darken edge". I build the cost of the tint into my price of Polarized RX lenses so price is not an issue. I find that dip tinting Polarized lenses is better (and cheaper) than edge tinting.

So my problem is that every order my lab calls to find out what we are doing. They just don't understand what I am asking.

Am I the only one in the US who is tinting all their Polarized lenses? And how can I communicate to the lab what I want without getting 10 phone calls a week? In my mind, the note is self explanitory.

Sharpstick
    Contact Polycore and find out if your lab provides their products, they have polarized lenses that are slightly tinted stock so the lab doesn't have to worry about tinting the polarized lenses. I wouldn't want just any lab to tint polarized lenses, because they are laminated you should tint first then edge the lenses so that any delamination around the edges get cut away. Most labs have their process set up where the lens goes from edging to tinting so you might get a comprimised product if you order a tint on a polar lens. In poly like Chris mentioned the edge pens are a great alternative.

http://www.polycore.com/polarized.html
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but why are all of you having problems with the "white ring"? When edged properly, a polarized lens should have very little, if any, exposure of the bare bevel.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kyle View Post
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but why are all of you having problems with the "white ring"? When edged properly, a polarized lens should have very little, if any, exposure of the bare bevel.
    The color on a polarized lens only extends 1 mm deep. Polish -4.00 polarized blank and look through the side and and you will see what I am talking about; the back is all clear. Edge a polarized lens (espec 8 base) and you will see a white ring around the inside of the bevel where the top 1 mm was edged away, even in a hide-a-bevel.

I don't want an edge tint because they wear off. Poly Polarized are tintable, I have never had one delaminate (I just would not leave it in the tint bath overnight). Dont want to put tint bath in this office (too small), I just want my lab to tint the lenses after edging so patients don't complain. I will change my request to "dip" tint to see if they understand.

I do have one lab that tints ALL their polarized before it goes out without even asking, but for ins reasons I can't send them every job. Patient satisfaction is simply higher without the white edge.

Sharpstick

Occupation
    Sharp, I know what the ring is. I just don't have any problem with it. I do wraps all the time and only rarely have little, if any, of the bevel exposed.

Thread Information