Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hakim

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I'm also wondering about the contact lens aspect. I haven't looked at an online site but twice in the last week we've had people come in looking for a contact lens rx. We don't release them as they are an interpretation yada yada, you know the rest. Is there not some sort of optician on the end of the order that interprets the eyeglass rx and converts it into a contact lens rx by differentiating product based on cyl axis etc?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    I used to be the l'Amy distributor in Canada for 20 years and sold Hakim all the discontinued frames for a fraction of the original selling price. So did all the other quality frame wholesalers. If he still does it the old way he has top quality frames a bit out dated but still top quality which might last a bit longer than 4 month.

Hakim has been a very smart man and has come a long way since he had his little surfacing lab in down town Toronto.
    Hakim will carry some brands, but most of his stuff he makes. Trust me Chris, it does not hold up much longer than 4 months.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    Please tell me how Great Glasses' approach could be run legally and just as successfully.

Regards,
    Golfnorth

Same concept , Free Eye Exams , but with Dr's and it wil be even more successful

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    Same concept , Free Eye Exams , but with Dr's and it wil be even more successful
    free exams are illegal.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Hakim will carry some brands, but most of his stuff he makes. Trust me Chris, it does not hold up much longer than 4 months.

The branded stuff that I've seen at the store down the street is disco'd product. For instance, an Etnia frame from 2005. No way you'd be able to warranty the same product.

Occupation
    that is the worst thing about the junk. Once in breaks within four months, you cannot get parts

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Lux is in the frame manufacturing & vertical integration , mergers and acquisitions business. They grow their sales by buying out distribution . They have not been in the retail "upstart from concept to viability" business . They buy running concepts , they do not create them . It works for them .
    Success isn't immune to mergers and acquisitions and measured only by being self made through upstart and concept. It is measured in revenue, profitability and market share.

And if you think buying a running concept is simple and always successful, do some research because you are only purchasing past history. What you do after the ink dries to grow, prosper and remain successful also takes careful planning and execution and there are never any guarantees in business.

They have both achieved it in their own ways. :)

Occupation
    Pffft.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    Pffft.

Why do you scoff ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Success isn't immune to mergers and acquisitions and measured only by being self made through upstart and concept. It is measured in revenue, profitability and market share.

And if you think buying a running concept is simple and always successful, do some research because you are only purchasing past history. What you do after the ink dries to grow, prosper and remain successful also takes careful planning and execution and there are never any guarantees in business.

They have both achieved it in their own ways. :)

I never said it was easy, simple or always successful . I said their specialty was growing their business by the mergers and acquistions route & acquiring existing distribution as opposed to creating new distribution from scratch.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    free exams are illegal.
    What makes you believe that ? Who are they illegal for ? Who is going to argue ?

Did you believe that dispensing without an opticians license is illegal ?

Did you believe that because frames might be junk and only last 4 months that they can not be successfully marketed into a 149 store chain ? Obviously people want these and there is a solid market holding this chain up for the past 35 years .

Occupation
    Why do you scoff ?
    Haven't I read in your past posts that nothing is free and we shouldn't just give away our expertise and services? So, how can free eye exams be part of a good business model?

Occupation
    Mr. Hakim's second greatest success is his optical chain. His timing was excellent and he was the first to cater to a low end market and offer all the bells, whistles and innovations of one hour service. Kudos to him.

His greatest success however is his holdings company that owns almost 100% of his stores properties along with some other prime real estate and has appreciated drastically over the years.

Lately, it seems as though they are now trying to enter the high end market with some boutique stores. I have to laugh at this one...it's like selling a Hyundai Pony or Lada at a BMW dealership.

It is 2009 and time to get rid of that hideous 'H' on every frame; is that what it stands for? Also way past due; update that tacky bright orange font with Buddy Holly frame logo.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Mr. Hakim's second greatest success is his optical chain. His timing was excellent and he was the first to cater to a low end market and offer all the bells, whistles and innovations of one hour service. Kudos to him.

Lately, it seems as though they are now trying to enter the high end market with some boutique stores. I have to laugh at this one...it's like selling a Hyundai Pony or Lada at a BMW dealership.

Didn't an old Hamilton/Toronto chain try to morph itself into a high end operation, years ago but failed in part because they ran the jobs through their own low end labs and still used low end customer relations with high end customers ?

They put high end stores in discount malls and even tried to renovate their discount stores that previously catered to social service customers , into high end . Big surprise when they went bankrupt.

The business did not survive the succession change. Save a buck mentality can't think properly to run high end .

Could high end mentality run a discount operation ?
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 03-25-2009 at 06:21 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Haven't I read in your past posts that nothing is free and we shouldn't just give away our expertise and services? So, how can free eye exams be part of a good business model?

True , but it does not change the fact that customers are attracted by "bargains" , "freebies" , and other gimmicks.

It also does not change the fact that:
    (1) FREE Frames & One Hour Service
    (2) Eyeglasses in about an Hour
    (3) Free Eye Exam & 3 for 1
    (4) 2 for 1 mix & match Contacts and glasses
    are all concepts that work

Free Eye Exams by Licensed Dr's , No appointments Necessary , Walk in Any time will also work .

Occupation
    True , but it does not change the fact that customers are attracted by "bargains" , "freebies" , and other gimmicks.

It also does not change the fact that:
    (1) FREE Frames & One Hour Service
    (2) Eyeglasses in about an Hour
    (3) Free Eye Exam & 3 for 1
    (4) 2 for 1 mix & match Contacts and glasses
    are all concepts that work

Free Eye Exams by Licensed Dr's , No appointments Necessary , Walk in Any time will also work .
    But all of this is nothing new; simply old gimmicks and nothing more. Our industry needs to be a new dog doing new tricks. There hasn't been any new retail innovations in the optical industry for years now. It's the same old shirt and tie with a different jacket.

Most of today's consumers are educated and informed before they even visit a retail store. The current optical retail model closely resembles the pizza industry and it's no wonder the general public can't understand the differences between the 3 O's. We need to fix this and go back to our old professional roots.

Occupation
    Might I add that convenience and service are not a gimmick and are important elements in a successful business model.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Might I add that convenience and service are not a gimmick and are important elements in a successful business model.
    We could do a Warren Buffet . Do not allow the shares to be split .

In other words , we limit the number of opticians graduating and entering the field .

Occupation
    We could do a Warren Buffet . Do not allow the shares to be split .

In other words , we limit the number of opticians graduating and entering the field .
    We have too many already. The only one that win are the 2 colleges on tuition revenue. Optometry is much better regulated in controling their members.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We could do a Warren Buffet . Do not allow the shares to be split. In other words , we limit the number of opticians graduating and entering the field .
    And while you're at it, stop all these 3-for-1 pizza establishments from proliferating;)

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I have to laugh at this one...it's like selling a Hyundai Pony or Lada at a BMW dealership.

I was recently trying out a 2004 Jeep Liberty at the Chrysler Dealership . I didn't buy it for a few reasons .

(1) it was prematurely rusting out in the bottoms of the doors and the rocker panels .

(2) When I returned the plates to the salesman, I walked into the New car showroom and admired the new Chrysler muscle cars and other models , BUT what was that other car in the new car showroom ?

They had a used 2002 or 2003 Toyota Camry on display . When I asked the salesman why it was in a new car Chrysler showrooom he responded that they had taken it in as a trade and were so proud of it's mint condition for the years and miles on it that they felt compelled to display it and show it off !!! It runs so quietly you barely know the engine is on and it gets great gas mileage.

So I felt pretty good about heading over to the Toyota dealership with a recommmendation like that.
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 03-25-2009 at 11:26 AM.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    And while you're at it, stop all these 3-for-1 pizza establishments from proliferating;)

We need these pizza places Ted . How else can an optician afford lunch ?

Banned
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

What country you live in? You ever seen downtown Toronto lately? It's like a refugee camp. Cheap rules. Put cheap prices on a piece of fecal matter and you'll sell it.:drop:

You are stuck in the 50's friend.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by dave123 View Post
    What country you live in? You ever seen downtown Toronto lately? It's like a refugee camp. Cheap rules. Put cheap prices on a piece of fecal matter and you'll sell it.:drop:

You are stuck in the 50's friend.
    Nice Dave, real classy and doesn't even warrant a proper response.

Occupation
    What makes you believe that ? Who are they illegal for ? Who is going to argue ?

Did you believe that dispensing without an opticians license is illegal ?

Did you believe that because frames might be junk and only last 4 months that they can not be successfully marketed into a 149 store chain ? Obviously people want these and there is a solid market holding this chain up for the past 35 years .
    Dispensing without an optician is illegal, unless you are an OD.

And no, for the last part, I never said or believed Hakim would not be successful doing that. I have actually discussed with some people the model of disposable eyeglasses. Just because someone is profitable does not make it legal.

BUT there is a huge difference between discussing strategy and illegalities.

Thread Information