Thread: Losing Wireless

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Losing Wireless

So I have a laptop and use a linksys wireless router. Over the last day, I will be using the net and then all of the sudden, I cannot get any activity. My wireless shows that my signal is strong and that I have internet access. But, it also shows that I am sending signals but not receiving any.

I unplug the router and restart it, and then it works again. However, I would prefer not to have to do that 5 or 6 times a day.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Your router may have....

Your router may have a reset button, something cleverly disguised as a pinhole into which you can insert a paper clip. That will restore the factory defaults. You then have to reconfigure your router to your computer. That has happened to me a couple of times with Netgear. I always wind up calling their support number and have them walk me through it. (that's because I'm a klutz when it comes to anything related to the hardwear!)
    Try it, it can't make anything worse, but check the manual and get their support number just in case! Good luck!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If the previous suggestion does not work you may have a router that is dying. Sometimes they start dying after only 2 years of use maybe less.

Occupation
    I think it is dying. It is 3 years old. But I will try the restart first.

Bad address email on file OptiBoard Gold Supporter Sean's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Did the physical layout change? Is there a chance a neighbor installed a new AP and is using the the same channel as you. I would try setting the router to a different channel.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    At home, wireless may be ok, but at the office "it's strictly business" and I would never depend on it there. We've tried it and it cannot be relied on. Things like interference from induction motors(edgers), fluorescent light transformers, constantly resetting the router, etc. IMHO

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's most likely that it's dead, best thing is to just replace it and save the aggravation.

Bad address email on file Jazz-Nut's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would first try repairing the connection, go to network connections, then local connection, then right click and select repair. Could be your provider has changed IP # on you or your DNS server #`s.

Also check for adware and spyware, if they are present and using all your available connections, this can cause what you are seeing as well.

Occupation
    If you are using this at home, check out what your neighbours have recently installed. Had a similar problem last fall. Replaced router, same problem. I live in a townhouse and it turned out that my new neighbours on one side had a 2.4ghz phone and the neighbour on the other side had just bought one as well. There's a reason they are so cheap - no one wants them because they screw up WIFI. Got the one neighbour to buy a new phone ( they were going to anyway and I offered to pay ) and the other neighbour moved his base unit away from the common wall. Problem solved!!! Oh and the wireless controllers for Playstation etc can cause the same problem. It's sad when you have to relocate to Starbucks so you can enjoy a couple of hours of uninterrupted internet connection to get your work done.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

firmware update

just before you purchase a new one, you can try one last thing..

the manufacturer might have released a new firmware for your model router, which they do from time to time, which might fix your problems - check their website, download new firmware and flash it (update it!)

regards,
    -memoir

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Replace it. You can spend hours trying to figure it out, or spend 25 minutes configuring a new one ( for about 50 bucks ). As for not relying on wireless at work try using some of the newer versions. Wireless g signal is more specific to horizontal and wireless n is a spherical signal so the strength of signal is consistent up, down left and right. Also consider adding in one or two access points, that will strengthen the signals distance and be less likely to be interfered with.

Just my opinion though =)

Steve

Occupation
    So after trying most suggestions, I bought a new one. I had no time to set it up. Well now, the old one has not had any problems. UGH!!!

Occupation
    Ah, you scared it. Keep the new one as the old one may be on it's last legs and decide to die at an inconvenient time.

Occupation
    yeah, I am debating returning it. I guess I see two stories. 1. It is only $44 and this one will eventually die. 2. If this one does not die for a year or so, I have an out of date router.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is this duplicated on a second machine? Wirless cards in laptops also play up.. One brand notoriously cuts out when warm

Do you have an alternate router to connect to to test your laptop.. It takes 2 to tango!

Occupation
    I have not tried the second machine. I have not even opened up the package. I have not had a problem with the first one for a few weeks. Originally, I think there was something interfering with the signal.

Thread Information