Thread: I just had a really good day

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

I just had a really good day

I only work every other Saturday and we're only open for 5 hours. What can I say? Saturdays can be strange. You never really know what's going to happen. From beginning to end it was a constant but pleasant pace. Everyone that came into the store that bought were extremely nice and those that didn't were also really cool. We were complimented on our stock and our service several times and won over some great new clients who heard about us from friends and friends of friends. With a skeleton staff of 2 on Saturday things can get hectic but I was still able to pull off a couple of 20 minute edging jobs and help out a couple people that were in binds with some repairs. This is a rare Saturday and I totally and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is what it's all about.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    I only work every other Saturday and we're only open for 5 hours. What can I say? Saturdays can be strange. You never really know what's going to happen. From beginning to end it was a constant but pleasant pace. Everyone that came into the store that bought were extremely nice and those that didn't were also really cool. We were complimented on our stock and our service several times and won over some great new clients who heard about us from friends and friends of friends. With a skeleton staff of 2 on Saturday things can get hectic but I was still able to pull off a couple of 20 minute edging jobs and help out a couple people that were in binds with some repairs. This is a rare Saturday and I totally and thoroughly enjoyed it. This is what it's all about.

When I used to work in Winterpeg, I worked for one lady who I did not like and was a horrible employer. Anyway, she was never in the office. One Saturday, she said she would be in, but wasn't, so I worked the whole day by myself (I think she was drinking, because that is what she does).

One Saturday, I would get a client, the client would order, I would write up the order, and the next one would walk in and the pace would repeat. I never had five clients waiting for service, but it was steady the whole day.

She called me up the Monday when she saw the daily total. She flipped on how large it was. She then asked if I needed any help that day. I told her very politely "nope." I think that burned her a bit.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    When I used to work in Winterpeg, I worked for one lady who I did not like and was a horrible employer. Anyway, she was never in the office. One Saturday, she said she would be in, but wasn't, so I worked the whole day by myself (I think she was drinking, because that is what she does).

One Saturday, I would get a client, the client would order, I would write up the order, and the next one would walk in and the pace would repeat. I never had five clients waiting for service, but it was steady the whole day.

She called me up the Monday when she saw the daily total. She flipped on how large it was. She then asked if I needed any help that day. I told her very politely "nope." I think that burned her a bit.

Nice!

Sales wise we matched Friday which was a fully staffed day with a Doc working. Where did you used to work in Winnipeg. PM if you'd like

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Glad you had a good one. Fortunately I had a better one, I caught a largemouth between 9 and 10 lb. 20 min. after releasing it, I remembered I had a camera in my pocket.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Glad You Had a Good Day!
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Glad you had a good one. Fortunately I had a better one, I caught a largemouth between 9 and 10 lb. 20 min. after releasing it, I remembered I had a camera in my pocket.

Chip
    I thought you were just happy to see me. :D

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    the best day I have ever had is the grand re-opening of our store at a new location.

Times were getting tough at our old location. It was in a bad area of town and businesses were vacating the area like crazy. We were also upset with our landlord for a few reasons. We did our research and made the decision to move.

After investing in a new store design and new furniture, we were cautiously optimistic of the move. It was hopefully a good idea and a good area of town, but one never knows.

Well the day of our grand re-opening, we started at 8:30am (our hours started at 9am, but we had people at 8:30am) and was non-stop. By non-stop, I mean three people waiting for you while you are with someone else. At 2:30pm, it finally slowed down to one client at a time. At 5pm, it stopped and we spent the next two hours finishing up orders.

Makes you feel darn good about the decision to move.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    sounds like my day today, we normally have 4 opticians on saturdays with 2 doctors... today we only had 2 opticians and 3 doctors and everything went smooth, no patient waited more then 5 minutes and the day flew by.

now we werent able to get alot of the back side work done, only about half of the orders were sent, and only about 5 out of 30 jobs checked in... but all of that can be cleared up on the slow monday morning

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We operate with an optician, a dispensor and one doc on saturdays. It's almost always a pretty good day and we actually prefer having less staff. Everything goes smoothly. People are just generally in a better mood on saturdays I have found. We had a great day yesterday. We are seeing people start to buy again. This is a good sign that the fear factor is abating in Michigan though we still have a long way to go.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I eventually found that I seemed to only make money on the first Saturdaky of the month. Occasionally the second, hense I now try to go fishin all but the first.
    Of course, I am an independent almost totally dependent on the medical profession for referrals and OMD's don't even work Friday afternoons anymore.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 03-15-2009 at 08:16 AM. Reason: last 2 lines

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's really nice when everything just seems to flow right. :)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It sure is nice to hear something positive about our profession!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thread Information