Thread: Hey Chip!! Do you think MS will ever get licensed????

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Hey Chip!! Do you think MS will ever get licensed????

Hey Chip and other MS opticians out there....do you ever think MS will get licensed so poor little me might actually be able to find a job making some decent money get married and move????? I just can't believe that there is NOTHING in the Cleveland area!!!!

Stephanie

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Concidering that the opticians in out state can't agree with each other on anything. Concidering that the independent optician has all but disappeared (suspect I may be the last). Also conciderting how the board of optometry has managed to put leg shackeling amemedments and changes (often our associations weren't ever astute enough to realize them) at the last moment (and this was before the chains were around to oppose us).
    I don't think it will ever happen. Not that I am anyone to ask after seeing our annual report (how much my shop lost) yesterday.
    I also don't think licenseing is going to improve your ecconomic situation one bit. Send me an e. mail and we'll se what I can do to help you.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Getting Opticians licensed would not be that hard, as long as you can find some good OMD's to back you. Your biggest obstacle is going to be getting all the "Opticians" to agree on something. I think some OD's would even support it, along as you don't mention REFRACTION anywhere in the law. By the time the law was ready to be passed, the legislature would end up restricting opticianry more than it already is. I wonder some times what would happen if it were brought to a vote without any committee crap. It's funny, the person that cuts your hair has to get a state license but the person fitting you with glasses and contacts doesn't have to have any qualifications. Oh well, that's life.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't need to refract I need to work and make a decent living. Yes hairdressers are licensed!! You even need a license to fish!!! But something that should require a knowledgable person because you could go blind we say HAVE AT IT!!!!!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The last state licensed was almost 25 years ago, despite many good people trying. OMDs do not have a dog in the fight and will not assist as a group. You may find individuals to assist, but it is much harder than you assume.

Quote Originally Posted by Senorwes1 View Post
    Getting Opticians licensed would not be that hard, as long as you can find some good OMD's to back you. Your biggest obstacle is going to be getting all the "Opticians" to agree on something. I think some OD's would even support it, along as you don't mention REFRACTION anywhere in the law. By the time the law was ready to be passed, the legislature would end up restricting opticianry more than it already is. I wonder some times what would happen if it were brought to a vote without any committee crap. It's funny, the person that cuts your hair has to get a state license but the person fitting you with glasses and contacts doesn't have to have any qualifications. Oh well, that's life.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think that being licensed will help you get a job anywhere except where it's required. Much like you don't need to be in a union unless you are wanting a job in a union shop.
    And from what I have seen with the three O's wanting to regulate each other, instead of tending to their on little garden, I doubt that any license bill that passed would be at all benficial to anyone except the state in license (tax) fees.

Chip

Thread Information