Thread: Officemate and employment

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Officemate and employment

Hi. I haven't posted here much but I read and learn so much from everyone here. I thought I'd go out on a limb and ask for help.

I've been looking for a job for 4 months now. I finally have a serious nibble on a position with a great local legend type LDO. This office, just last week, began using officemate. Now they would really love me if I had any idea how to use it, but I don't.

I've scoured the web for some type of tutorials but everything I can find requires you to have actually purchased the software, or be in an office that uses it already.

Does anyone know of an online demo or tutorial to suggest? Anyone use officemate and have some tips for me? Anyone generous enough to loan me a username/password for the tutorials on the officemate site?(I know that's probably asking too much. I'm not sure how all that works.) I'd love to be able to go in to my second interview late next week and at least have some working knowledge of the software.

Thanks!
    Stevie

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they just started using Officemate last week then they are all new at it, too. It isn't that hard to use, you should be able to pick everything up within a few days. It shouldn't stop them from offering you a job there.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    If they just started using Officemate last week then they are all new at it, too. It isn't that hard to use, you should be able to pick everything up within a few days. It shouldn't stop them from offering you a job there.
    Of course you are right. I am just trying to think of ways to be all the more valuable to them when the actual time comes for hiring. :)

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Once you learn OfficeMate you will hate it....I used it and couldnt NOT stand it! Its really not hard at all...I think if you let them know that you are computer literate and understand HIPPA...everything else they can teach you.
    Good Luck!:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I think the best way to learn Officemate doesn't require you to actually use it.

I would talk to a neurosurgeon (or anyone you know with a drill) and remove the parts of your brain that use or generate logic. Logical people have a hard time with Officemate because... its not logical.

Then I would start looking at abstact art. Especially the types of mixed media work that look like someone took a refigerator and started painting on it, or ran a pipe through the middle of classical painting. Officemate is so cobbled together it takes some abstract mental skills to put it all together.

Then I would set your watch to run slower. Everything in Officemate takes so long to do, you won't feel like your wasting any time at all trying to do simple things.

...and Viola! You are ready to learn Officemate! Just be patient and give it 3-5 years of your life and you are set.

Sharpstick

Bad address email on file sharonm516's Avatar
    Occupation
    Ophthalmic Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I think the best way to learn Officemate doesn't require you to actually use it.

I would talk to a neurosurgeon (or anyone you know with a drill) and remove the parts of your brain that use or generate logic. Logical people have a hard time with Officemate because... its not logical.

Then I would start looking at abstact art. Especially the types of mixed media work that look like someone took a refigerator and started painting on it, or ran a pipe through the middle of classical painting. Officemate is so cobbled together it takes some abstract mental skills to put it all together.

Then I would set your watch to run slower. Everything in Officemate takes so long to do, you won't feel like your wasting any time at all trying to do simple things.

...and Viola! You are ready to learn Officemate! Just be patient and give it 3-5 years of your life and you are set.

Sharpstick
    That is sooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo TRUE!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    hoooooray somebody had the same sorry time with that piece of crap I quit a job after 6 days because it made no sense to me and no one in the office could explain it properly. I was the only one in the office with any real optical front and back end experience. It took hours to complete a sale and billing. my office mgr thought this was fine as long as I did not use a pen or a fax machine to complete what could be done in five minutes. Were you able to transfer rx's to eyefinity or did you need to reinput every thing two or three times depending on what if any insurance was used

OptiBoard Novice OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't believe all the people that have such issues with officemate. I think the person that suggested a neurosurgeon was right, except he needs to replace some brain matter. It takes training, a lot of training and most people are lazy and just don't think they need it and rush into the software. Key word here Data in Data out. If you did not set up officemate properly it won't work., nor will any data base system. Also if you did a data conversion from your old office software, it was probably screwed up also and you just added more problems. I have set up officemate in five practices in the last ten years and 4 out of 5 have great sucsess with it. The fifth were not motivated or skilled enough to comprehend it and failed.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Officemate = Evil

I came from an office that used Maximeyes to an office that uses Officemate and the Dr loves it. I've been working here for 8 months and I hate it just as much as I did the first day I started. It's so abstract and odd. The Dr has been using Officemate since it was a DOS program and refuses to let go. Yet she still is constanly asking me questions on how to do this or that. Good luck learning the program! In my opinion, find an office with Maximeyes.
    Smile, it makes people wonder what you're up to :bbg:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Idea

Suggest they get Crystal PM software! It's wonderful. We've had it for over 3 yrs... it's on a whole different plane from OfficeMate.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Maximeyes is sooo much better!!!!!! I also recently started working with officemate....it's awkward and NOT user friendly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I miss Maximeyes!!!!

Thread Information