Thread: Why opticians, surgeons, and pilots are alike

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why opticians, surgeons, and pilots are alike

In another thread still current, Chip berates the practice (or is it non-practice?) of not getting baseline k's and not being completely thorough. Well he's right, of course. But why should we be thorough? Most of the time, nothing will go wrong. My personal eye doctor just returned from Honduras, a doctors-without-borders kind of mission. He showed me a photo of an unqualified person doing a cataract surgery (phako, of course). He was right there to step in if necessary, but it wasn't necessary. A modern airliner practically flies itself. F-18's take off from carriers with the pilot's hands OFF THE CONTROLS! All of these highly skilled professions have something in common: unless the creek rises, a monkey could do it. Now, the creek does sometimes rise, and somebody with skill and a working brain must act. Why do on-line vendors get away with sight-unseen dispensing, monkey dispensing? When the creek rises for them, they just paddle away.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Why do on-line vendors get away................

Quote Originally Posted by finefocus View Post
    Why do on-line vendors get away with sight-unseen dispensing, monkey dispensing? When the creek rises for them, they just paddle away.

..............however they are like mushrooms and another one pops up.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Gee: And I'll bet that FineFocus is one of those who think everyone needs poly or now Trives for "Safety." Patient's with moderately high interocular pressure probably have a low incidence of ever going to true glaucoma, but should one stop checking when you see the patient? And remember the chances of eye injury from rimless spectacles with glass lenses is very low but, it seems that most on the board would refuse to do it.

I could express my real opinion about those who would do a less than through job on anything, especially contact lens fitting. However I don't have the time and the language would probably get me banned again.

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 03-11-2009 at 03:18 PM. Reason: Glass

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    We take base-line "K's" on every pat. seen, even our pathology pats. We also do tonometry either NCT or Goldman(for the twitchy ones) on every pat. that sits in the chair.

For those catapult launches off the "deck" the hands off lasts all of one second. Once she's off the deck you better be on the throttle and giving her some stick in the up direction. That routine cannot be programmed into an autopilot/auto-launch sequence especially when you are launching from a pitching deck.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I did my carrier qualifications from the USS Antietam in an A4D in 1960. We were hands on but later aircraft did develop hands-off launches. Upon launch the autopilot merely holds a preset degree of nose up altitude (say 20 degrees) and heading until the pilot disengages the take-off mode by retarding the power. It escapes me what that has to do with optics.

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I did my carrier qualifications from the USS Antietam in an A4D in 1960. We were hands on but later aircraft did develop hands-off launches. Upon launch the autopilot merely holds a preset degree of nose up altitude (say 20 degrees) and heading until the pilot disengages the take-off mode by retarding the power. It escapes me what that has to do with optics.

I don't know either but it is a lot more exciting , kinda gives you an adrenaline rush ! . When did you last get a good healthy injection of adrenaline fitting a pair of glasses ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It is why I turn cartwheels getting out of bed!

Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    I When did you last get a good healthy injection of adrenaline fitting a pair of glasses ?
    I get that jacked up, adrenaline rush, almost everytime I sell and dispense eyewear!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Gee: And I'll bet that FineFocus is one of those who think everyone needs poly or now Trives for "Safety." Patient's with moderately high interocular pressure probably have a low incidence of ever going to true glaucoma, but should one stop checking when you see the patient? And remember the chances of eye injury from rimless spectacles with glass lenses is very low but, it seems that most on the board would refuse to do it.

I could express my real opinion about those who would do a less than through job on anything, especially contact lens fitting. However I don't have the time and the language would probably get me banned again.

Chip
    Point #1 - No, you got it wrong. This isn't endorsement of eroding standards, just the opposite. This is a possible explanation of why some elements of the optical business think that inattentive work can get by.
    Point #2 - On the unrelated, rpt unrelated, topic of safety materials, sure I like Trivex for a kid or the guy who spends weekends on his mountain bike or getting a face-full of baseball cleats. You don't?
    Point #3 - I respect and admire you, Chip, but no member of this forum is confused about your real opinion. Why so bitter?
    Point #4 - The pilot reference speaks to the fact that some things seem not to require our fulltime attention and ability, when in fact they do.

Thread Information