Thread: 1 Hour Service (Need Help Speeding Up)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

1 Hour Service (Need Help Speeding Up)

I work for a company that offers one hour service. We run a mostly Gerber lab (Step1,Step2,SGX Generator) with an Optronics 7E Edger, a Professional Edger, 2 Coburn cylinder machines, and 2 Coburn polishers. We use surfacing tape on plastic because the step 1 wax seems to stick to plastic no matter what.

I am trying to find ways to speed up, I've condensed all the lenses in a 6 shelf (6 shelves on each side) hallway fashion. Production runs in a "U" Shape, starting on Step 1, the Poly Coater is at the end, and finish works its way back to the other end across from the Step 1.

We run through nearly 100+ jobs per day. It's basically split 50/50 surface to finish. We run about a 50/50 mix of surface poly/trivex to CR39. We do not run any High Index lenses or Glass, and all AR Surface jobs are sent to specials lab.

What im trying to figure out is how to cut time down. I've tried clearing the crib from all the lenses to cut time in the generator.

If anyone has any helpful tips or anything to change around please let me know.

Thanks!

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Do you notice any bottlenecks in production? If so, where?

Also, have you considered that by not cribbing on the generator, you are adding edging time to the job. Plus you are putting more where and tear on your edger wheels.

Let us know where things start to back up and maybe we can help streamline it a little more.

My 2 cents
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When the staff out on the retail floor sell a job, do they come back to the lab to pull the lenses BEFORE they get the patient their receipt?

That will save some time, knowing that the lenses are in and you can be getting them prepped before the transaction is finished...of course you can't "start" the job yet, but if the finished lenses or lens blanks are in the tray, you could go ahead and prep them and get the frame traced and ready to roll.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We rarely used the cribbing function on our SGX, it slowed things way down... (there were certain times we used it, but for the life of me, I can't remember exactly when..I just remember everybody screeching at you when you used that function! :shiner:)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I am a big fan of cribbing in the generator. Your high curves will polish better to the edge and you don't have to keep your stroke so big. They also take less time to edge and if you have high curves, especially cylinder, with the edger you have to slow the feed and rotation or the lens will run off the end of the blade and snap off. Smaller diameters make that a lot easier. I usually crib 4 -5 mm bigger than the cutout diameter on the job ticket.

As Bob said, there should be a place where trays back up, that is where you need to make your changes.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    How many people do you have working in the lab?

Have you identified their strengths?

Having the right people in the right places can speed-up production. When I get a surface job the first thing I do after verifying the correct BC and lense type have been pulled is to get the lenses blocked-up. That way by the time the frame has been traced and the job has been calculated the job is ready to generate(I use alloy at the lowest possible temp. about 90 seconds and they are ready to go). I always keep some pads stuck to the edge of the control panel, that way when the cycle is done just reach-up and get what you need without having to pull and peel a pad from the reel. Forget about printing lab surface tickets, you can get all the info on the job you need from the generator screen. In your case keep your hard coater well maintained and clean this will keep coating related re-dos' to a minimum.

Bad address email on file kelanor's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Clam knives are wonderful for removing polishing and fining pads. OXO made the ones I used.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ahh.. the I remember these days..

Do you have jobs that actually sit at any point? Or machines that sit?

Also, how many people do you have working the lab?

When I had my ideal 5 man lab set up I would have:
    Retail pull lenses and place tray with job ticket and lenses on the counter.

1 person run blocking/pulling laps/editing tickets. This person would help on polishers as well since our lab was a corridor. So cyl machines were literally right behind them.

Another running the generator and finers. Start polishers

3rd person would coat lenses and do check in/trace and finish block

4th ran edgers/assist with finish blocking

5th final inspection

obviously there were times were we had to finesse things due to fewer people. Sometimes it was one person on surface another on finish!

A lot of it is finding where people's strengths are and playing to them. I had no issues training and letting people develop their skills in other areas when we weren't slammed.. but if we were busy, you got the station you were either best at, or at least.. not the worst at in some cases!

I think a lot of times it comes down to finding that stride and pattern of behaviour that works well for the team. I know when I edged, I always had at least the right eye mounted into the eyewire before it hit inspection cause I would do that while the edger was still cutting the left. When jobs are on the SGX, you have time to take care of finers, pull tools, clean etc. The greatest time waste I have seen in labs is someone paying attention to "their" machine and waiting instead of doing things to help other jobs along the way.

How's the efficiency and accuracy? Jobs per man hour? Breakage?
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    You can change some of the configurations on the sgx to cut faster /stock removal etc. Though I would still crib every lens. When the sgx cribs ,does it start immediately or does it cut air for a few revolutions. If it cuts "air" you need to make sure the sgx is set to geometric center grinding. What are your fining and polishing times? Might be able to reduce in this area depends on pad system.

P.S. DON'T SACRIFICE QUALITY FOR SPEED!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I agree with turning the cribbing back on. It may take a bit on the front end but saves you problems on the edgers.

You've gotten some great thoughts tossed in here on this thread. might I also toss in such things as (and I apologize if these have been mentioned)

*what blades are you using for both the SGX and the 7E?

*have you optimized your settings on the 7E to give you the most "bang for your buck" without compromising final lens quality?

*Is the equipment being calibrated and maintained regularly in order to minimize re-work?

Sometimes when things are manageable on the surface side, we'll make sure the drop and inset (if you're not blocking on center) is done when we have time on surface side or when it's at the coater. I also trace the frames as soon as the tray ends up on finish side. Any little things like this can help save those precious minutes

Occupation

My Joke of a store

Ok sorry for leaving a few things out.

1. Retail people, only 1/10 can use a lensometer, let alone pull lenses.
    2. Corporate does not want techs/manager to physically "fix" any machine, only change necessities (blades,wax,lights etc.)
    3. Our machines = NOT well maintained. We are a multi million dollar store fixing $50,000 machines with rubber bands and plastic.

So I know some of the problem comes with the machines. But wait! Theres more

4. One tech has 25 years experience, I am going on 3, our lab manager has 5 months, and we have 5 lab techs with only 3 months experience who can only do surface (and at times cant even do that)
    6. We run through 100+ Jobs per day. After final check out (the manager lets our people with 3 months on finish) we end up with on average 30 - 50+ more jobs per day.

I realize that odds are against us, and ALOT of training and maintenance must be done, I just wanted to hear some of your tips on how to speed things up. But from what I'm reading its more of the problems above that I was thinking to begin with.

Occupation

Angry Upsetting

It kills me and the tech with 25 years to even work there. No matter how perfect we run a job, or how many good jobs we slam through. Something is always in the background undoing it.

One last question.

In a busy 1 hour service store, how do you train people thoroughly?
    What are some of your methods?

Alot of our problem is lazy people who should have been gone so long ago but kept around.

Sorry for whining or *****ing, but it is getting to the point that as much as I love working in the lab, I hate my job everyday!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    you mentioned that they don't want you "fixing" machines.. but please.. tell me you do some maintenance! Well maintained machines are happy and productive machines! Doesn't matter how well trained that tech is, if the equipment isn't functioning properly!

How much is the equipment really hindering you? (cause yes I have seen stores run on one finer for months cause they couldn't handle replacing a wobble assembly!)

How is breakage/spoilage? Are you having to redo a lot of jobs?

And laziness.. people standing around waiting instead of doing? This should have been addressed in the first 90 days. Of course, it could be cause they aren't sure what they should be doing! Certainly the company has some standards of performance.. or perhaps a matrix they use to rate people for reviews. List behaviours that are expected, and ones that are above and below the expectation. Coach everyone on what this entails.. what is expected.. and how it is tied to their salary/bonus.. and in keeping their jobs!

hmm.. Indiana..Now I am curious!
    Last edited by Jubilee; 03-07-2009 at 01:05 AM. Reason: Realized it was an Indiana poster
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation

For those wondering

For everyone wondering I work at dr Bizers in Clarksville, and man is it a joke of a lab and store. I've seen wholesale labs that run better with two people running the whole damn thing!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Down south towards Kentucky!

It may have been a joke before you came on board.. but its up to you.. and your management team to turn it around.

Do they have a heirachy, as far as a district or regional QA or LM? How is your GM? What is YOUR position in the store?

You haven't stated anything as far as if jobs are sitting anywhere, whether you are experiencing particular bottlenecks or how your redo/breakage is so far. Knowing those types of particulars will help us help you..

What is your current 1 hour rate?

The important thing is you have to BELIEVE you can succeed. I would hope your LM was chosen for their leadership. While I do believe that experience is important as well.. they are judged on how well the lab itself performs, and not their own ability to run it solo. Partnering with them, can help you stand out.. and if your lab improves.. your chances of more $$, and promotional opportunities will as well.

The one thing that will kill a lab the quickest is demoralizing the crew with gossip, passive aggressiveness and mutinous behavior. Its so easy to say "this lab is a joke! My boss is a joke! These people can't tell a fining pad from a flower petal!" However all it does is promote the mindset of "Why try? This job sucks, and I can't find another" No one works at their best when they think they are in a hopeless cause.

What they need is motivation. Celebrate when your one hour goes up a percent. Thank them when you see them exhibit good behaviours. NO MATTER how much you think the boss suck.. never EVER let them see you bad mouth them. Listen to complaints. Try to explain from Management's perspective.. and let them know that you will help them. However if they see splintering among the top.. you ALL will be played...and you could end up being labled as "difficult to work with" or "insubordinate". I have seen this before and it killed some careers.

If your leadership is the issue, then that is where you either discuss your issue with them personally.. or if you don't feel comfortable.. do so with a member of management above them. Perhaps playing the crew switcheroo to bring some more XP to the lab, and to give adequate training to those who are new.. would benefit the whole region.. and not just your store.

I admire your desire to go in and solve it. That is a great attitude. Just please watch how you act/react about the team and store. For what it is worth.. Even the one guy I did think was the biggest joke as a LM taught me some things about leadership even if he couldn't groove a rimless to save his life!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I agree with everything Jubilee said. She's given some very sound advice.

And just remember, if you're working there and are calling it a joke, doesn't that also make you part of the joke?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Brent Dabney View Post
    For everyone wondering I work at dr Bizers in Clarksville, and man is it a joke of a lab and store. I've seen wholesale labs that run better with two people running the whole damn thing!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jubilee View Post
    NO MATTER how much you think the boss suck.. never EVER let them see you bad mouth them.
    Err, might be a tad late for that.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Have you ever considered going to work for a wholesaler or maybe even LC??

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jubilee you're right.

There's always something to learn from people. Wether you're learning what to do, or in some cases what not to do .
    One of the laws of power, is to publicly show respect to those that have it. One day, you will have people working under you, and they will show the same respect.

I understand you needed to vent, but it wasn't a smart move to share the name of where you work. Especially in the tough job market today. You're brave.

As far as the blend of experience you have in the lab right now, I always tried to avoid having too many new people at once. I made sure I always had a new person training because you never know when your most experienced tech will quit on you, or get promoted. When you're training more than one person at a time it's counter productive. It takes you off the flow, and your experienced people are upset because they have to pick-up all of the slack.

If you work in a multiple location company, transfer some lesser experience out so that the new folks could get trained better.

And a final tip, be candid with your managers. Tell them how you feel. They will appreciate you for thinking of the business as a whole. And it shows them that you strive to be successful. you're probably not the only one that feels this way.

I worked in an hour lab that ran 100 + jobs but only Saturdays :)
    with 5 people I found it ran best.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper OpticianVlad is right......................

Quote Originally Posted by OpticianVlad View Post

I understand you needed to vent, but it wasn't a smart move to share the name of where you work. Especially in the tough job market today. You're brave.
    OpticianVlad is right......................I found the website of your employer and now understand why you are so busy........but I am not going to tell.

You will sort it out and get it going as it should.

Occupation
    Brave? Possibly. What is hurting is how managment know the lab is being ran poorley and will do nothig. I've tried a positive attitude and giving our LMa chance but when I try to help he already knows.. Yet on days he controls finish side we average 30-40 remakes a day. When I've previouslry tried everything Youall have said it has done nothing. When you work to redo jobs from a person who knows it all how can anyone keep a good attitude? I love my job and want it to work better but how can I do this when managmebt will take nothing into consideration? We have retail people that have no clue about optics, dispensers that can't adjust or use a lensometer properly, managers that gossip all day? I thank you all for your constructive feedback but know that I have tried a positive attitude.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    1) If things are _that_ bad, is corporate saying anything?

2) You mention when the LM is on finish, you guys get 30-40 remakes a day.. is that remakes or breakages? Is their a pattern to what is wrong with them? ( things like wrong shape, off axis, etc?)

3) If multiple people are having issues.. I would focus on getting things right the first time... (Ie reduce breakages) then work on improving one hour.

Something that has helped in stores I have worked in when people are having multiple mistakes rushing things.. is to cover all the clocks, have people remove watches.. and tell them they have all the time in the world. Create a checklist that covers most of the issues you have and have that go through with the tray in the lab.

Correct lenses pulled?
    Correct tools pulled?
    Correct blocks used?
    Correct order pulled up on generator?
    Lens seated correctly in generator?
    Tools Right on Right, left on left?
    Correct pad?
    Lenses on correct tools?

So on and so forth and have them initial each step they do in the process. Get them in the proper habits and good practices so that they will eventually learn to cover the steps in their heads as they go. After you have had a few days with no to little redo's then start to push them to pick up the pace. Rotate them all through the stations they have been assigned to already so they learn the checklist for each spot. Heck, you may even after they have got it down post a laminated version of the station's list for them to be able to reference to.

If you eliminate the mistakes being made in the process, the one hour should go up naturally as a result because you are pushing less lenses through the lab. As the saying goes... "If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to do it a second?"

ON a side note..

I still encourage you to try and keep a positive attitude or at least fake it. Sure, if people need called out on for silly mistakes, do so privately.. praise publicly. I would have private conversations with the district management about your frustrations.. or if there is different store manager in your area that you feel comfortable with, talk to them and ask for advice on how to handle your concerns. Just becareful in how you phrase them, cause it can bite you if you seem to be gunning down those above you.

Does your store track individual breakages? Have measures of performance?

Thread Information