Thread: Backordered Frames?

Bad address email on file kjw1231's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Angry Backordered Frames?

Hello,

Just wondering how many out there have a frustration with back ordered frames. When I owned my business, it would make me mad to have b/o frames delivered months down the road. Are there any frame companies that can check the immediate status of frames and let you know what is backordered?

I remember that Logo always had stuff on back order. We sold the 626 all day and night. With so many sizes and colors they always had issues with keeping stock. It always amazed me that when we cancelled a backorder, it would show up in a day or two. Sometimes 6 months would go by and then we would receive it.

Who is the worst with backorders?

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I know Safilo and Marchon check right up front when you order.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    The worst company for backorders I've ever seen is IC Optics (versace line). I would place a twenty piece stock order and would be lucky to recieve 5 pieces that month. A good way to combat this is to make your rep write on the sales order to cancel any backordered frames. If frame companies start feeling a pinch from having large amounts of their lines on backorder it may convince them to stock a better supply of their own products.

Bad address email on file

Thumbs down backordered

Luxottica is the worst. When the rep comes in, make your order then go to the phone and ask what is in stock. When they tell you it is BO'd cancel that frame.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've made it a habit for many years now when ordering frames to simply request the order desk to check availability while I'm still on the phone. If I'm doing a warranty replacement and the required item is on BO for what I consider an unreasonable amount of time, ie 2 weeks or more I'll request they send out a temporary replacement; many will accomodate this request. And isn't it frustrating to be receiving frames in from a sales rep's order months down the road?
    I realize the cost constraints many of the North American frame co. branches are under therefore not carrying adequate supply but they need to be aware of the difficulty this places us in. Lets get some more suggestions happening here and really put the screws to 'em!!!!!

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree that writing "no backorders" does help combat the problem. The best way however, is to be upfront with the rep and tell them you're tired of the backorders and you're going to buy from someone else. Rep's are beating down our doors to do business with us. How many companies are there to choose from? There is so much duplication of styles (and qualiity) in the market today, there is no single vendor that you can't survive without.

Note to Fly: When you have a backorder problem w/ the big company, do you think that your competition down the street (Lenscrafters) is also having a hard time getting stock ? Maybe you're too far down on the food chain for them. That is one of the concerns I have of buying from the competition.

Thread Information