Thread: patient eyeglass warranty?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist

patient eyeglass warranty?

i'm revamping my written warranty for eyeglasses. what are the key things that should be stated?

previously, i've never had anything about caring for the frame or for the lenses but i'm thinking of now including some info on this also. what do you think?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Well every customer that has had problems with broken glasses or scratched lenses where I work have:

NEVER dropped them :finger:
    NEVER sat or steeped on them
    ALWAYS keeps them in the case :finger:
    ALWAYS uses our cleaner and cloth to clean them

So I don't think you need to put any stipulations on your warranty. ;)

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

something to consider

I can't stress enough that we just give our products and services away, without telling our patients how nice we are, and without charging a dime. This includes the warranty.
    Personally, I think we need to. We need to tell them every opportunity we have that:
    1. We know they have choices and that we are glad they've decided to stay to ensure they are seeing their best. We value you as a patient.
    2. You've made an investement in your eyecare (by purchasing your glasses), we hope that you'll take proper care of them. Explain how to take proper care of them. I'd even say that anytime we spend $300++ on anything, we take care of whatever it is. Eyewear should be no exception.
    3. Accidents happen, we understand. Guarantee you'll do your best to fix the problem. We offer the best in what's out there, are confident in what we offer, and will stand behind what we dispense. This is where we should reinforce the "you've made an investment" statement again.
    4. "If, for any reason, you have any problems, please come back and let us know. We are here to help you any way we can." Stress the "for any reason" statement, this can be a comforting phrase for patients. If they do come in and they did something crazy with their glasses, offer them a discount.
    If they push and push you to outline your warranty, it is so important to not give away the farm. Let them know YOU offer (what we all do, but the patients don't know is the norm): scratch warranty, non adapt, etc., but that above all, "let us know if you have a problem." Your lab should be able to help out in those "grey" areas. If not, work with someone who can.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by "X" View Post
    Explain how to take proper care of them. I'd even say that anytime we spend $300++ on anything, we take care of whatever it is. Eyewear should be no exception.

This is true. However, frame quality today, in 98% of skus, is close to what I used to see as street vendor quality...in other words, complete nonsense! And I think this is a direct consequence of the licensing of brands, the consolodation of frame companies, and the exacerbated inefficiencies of Rx eyewear distribution.

"If, for any reason, you have any problems, please come back and let us know.
    I know, I used to say the same thing. But, with "sensitivity" training, perhaps all of us can begin to undo the underlying *negative* coonotation this verbal response communicates to our clients, i.e., that "eyewear is a hassle!"

ECPs: Think Different! (apologies to Apple)

Barry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by mma View Post
    i'm revamping my written warranty for eyeglasses. what are the key things that should be stated?

previously, i've never had anything about caring for the frame or for the lenses but i'm thinking of now including some info on this also. what do you think?
    #1. If you try to fix your glasses with super glue all warranties are VOID!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I swear, they broke in the case while I was sleeping...

Quote Originally Posted by billmdee View Post
    Well every customer that has had problems with broken glasses or scratched lenses where I work have:

NEVER dropped them :finger:
    NEVER sat or steeped on them
    ALWAYS keeps them in the case :finger:
    ALWAYS uses our cleaner and cloth to clean them

So I don't think you need to put any stipulations on your warranty. ;)

You forgot, I..
    ALWAYS take them off with both hands
    NEVER put them on top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    If you try to fix your glasses with super glue all warranties are VOID
    AMEN AND HALLELUIJAH!
    Ophthalmic Optician
    Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by KStraker View Post
    #1. If you try to fix your glasses with super glue all warranties are VOID!

I have a sign prominently displayed to that effect.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Another thing they say when bringing in broken glasses:

Without saying a word I will look at where the scratches are and then put the glasses down lenses first to see if the scratches match up which usually they do. Then the patients says usually rather loudly "I've NEVER put my glasses down like that ever!!!!" Yeah right, and you've ONLY uses the cleaner and cloth that we gave to you to!!! lol It always sounds so rehearse too.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    2 year unconditional warranty

We are in it to provide a service and make a profit, not to take our anger out on our patients.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You must be joking

A written warranty. You could never include everything that could happen to a pair of eyeglasses. Talk about causing trouble.
    How about this. This is what I say when asked about warranty.

"If the frame falls apart I'll give you another one, if you break it I'll sell you another one cheap. I'll replace your lenses the first year for a fee if they are scratched during normal use".
    END OF DISCUSSION!

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Dem scratches on de front could be from storage in the case. The could still line up with laying them face down. Make sure that the case you sell/give them won't scratch them over time and make sure that you instruct them on proper care and storage. You probably won't be held resposible if scratches are from this source but you will be at least partially to blame.

Also if the frame is wide and the temples are short one should always make sure the patient is instructed to use a case that keeps the temples outside the lens chamber. If not the result will be scratches on the back from the temples rubbing them in the case. Not a bad idea to caution them against loose in-the-pocke or in-the-neckline storage for the same reason.

See you educate, educate, educate people do have something to do after all.

Chip

Thread Information