Thread: What's the difference in a OTC reader and .....

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What's the difference in a OTC reader and .....

Me making the patient a "custom" reader?...Follow me here...

John Q Public walks into my dispensary. 40 years old and can't see near well any longer and wants a OTC reader. ( of course, I'm gonna ask him if he's had an eye exam, and the importance of doing so from an OD or OMD). But he still balks at that and insists on just a OTC reader....

I inform him of the inferior quality of the frame and lenses in OTC's. He decides he wants a better quality frame and lenses. ( this is where it gets interesting..)

I inform him that in this state, it is perfectly legal to duplicate a pair of "his" glasses. I only have to duplicate the "Rx", not the PD, seg height (if any) nothing but the "Rx". I help him select the best OTC reader by trial and error, he likes the +1.75. ( legal, I *sell* readers, I'm just asking the customer which he prefers "one or two"....sound like refracting?..) He *buys* them from me ( now *his* glasses), and I proceed to *duplicate* "his" glasses. I take his PD and make him a pair of +1.75's in trivex with AR in a Caviar rimless frame full of stones. "That will be $xxxx.. Thank you Mr. Public"......

Now for a *Barryism*......

Thoughts?

PS; This is a totally fictitious scenario. I would never conduct or be apart of this type of behavior.
    Last edited by optical24/7; 02-20-2009 at 08:59 PM. Reason: for the ps. There will be someone think this happened!..gezz.....

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    to be honest, taking out factors like cyl, tints, and glare (since some people may have or want those items), is the vision really that much better?

At the end of the day, the big difference is quality. Talk to people who have OTC readers. Most go through many pairs in a year. So do they want one pair or many?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Odds are pretty good you could just go ahead and make them. If you are allowed to dispense "simple magnifiers" without an Rx, who dictates you can't be the manufacturer?

Really, what is the difference between a +175 you make and a +175 that <insert Chinese company name here> makes? You could always pick up some closeout frames and give it a try.

However, if I was spending $200+ on readers I would want a worthwhile Rx to start.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ory View Post
    Odds are pretty good you could just go ahead and make them. If you are allowed to dispense "simple magnifiers" without an Rx, who dictates you can't be the manufacturer?

Really, what is the difference between a +175 you make and a +175 that <insert Chinese company name here> makes? You could always pick up some closeout frames and give it a try.

However, if I was spending $200+ on readers I would want a worthwhile Rx to start.

Bingo! What if I made my own OTC readers with different cyls at different axis, or used a trial frame. Sell the *trial frame* as an OTC then duplicate the customers "Rx"? See where I'm going with this......(hint...refraction by professionals, or refraction by the public? And to what extent..)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It boils down to this:

If the public can buy (refract) their own OTCs, you can duplicate them.

Thank *** that insurance, in their never-ending quest for more profit (and cost-shifting to the practicioner) are finally separating the *medical* part of the eye exam from the more (routine), non-medical (do you agree?) refractive part.

You can't have it both ways (at least, logically): Either OTCs are OK, and refraction is a non-medical procedure, or, its not.

What say you?

Good thread!

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-21-2009 at 11:24 AM.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The real difference has nothing to do with the readers you made nor the OTC ones. The real difference is once you start doing something like this you stop acting like an Optical Professional and instead turn into a salesperson.

Which do you choose to be?
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 02-21-2009 at 07:47 AM. Reason: choice of words

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why are so many of us convinced that needed services must wait on and have the insureance's approval. Are you and your customers really so stupid that you would wait until your next insureance "period of eligability" before getting an eye exam if you noticed a change in your vision. If you needed surgery, if you were sick?
    Or would you dig into your own little pocket (democrats are exempt from this criteria) and go get something done.
    Perhaps Mr. Orwell is right we are a society that has entities that are Big Brother to us all and we dare not act without his approval.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Chip,

I soooo totally agree with you on this one, but...

this *insurance* animal (VSP, especially) and its negative effect on the delivery of eyewear/exam services, cannot be denied.

You can't fault the public on this one. We (the eyecare industry) have so completely bought into the premise that "if I don't take their insurance, I won't see them for exams/eyewear. Vision insurance has made the *acceptance of the insurance benefit" more important than the excellence of the service being sought.

IMHO & my 2 cents.

Barry
    Last edited by Barry Santini; 02-21-2009 at 11:36 AM.

Thread Information