Thread: what do you do when the law is being broken...

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

what do you do when the law is being broken...

I work in a liscensed state for one the largest optical chains in the world. The store I work at is not always compliant with the state dispensing laws. I contact our associate relations about this issue because I could be fined or even loose my liscense over the practices in our office. I have no control because I am not a manager and our manager is not liscened. This Saturday we don't even have an optician scheduled in until 3:00pm violating the law. I had a meeting with our district manager and after that meeting my hours are being cut drastically. I can call our state optical board but it doesn't seem like anything ever gets done. Is there anything I can do or should I start looking for a new job

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Do it now

quit !

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

Don't quit before you got the other job

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jags018 View Post
    I work in a liscensed state for one the largest optical chains in the world. The store I work at is not always compliant with the state dispensing laws. I contact our associate relations about this issue because I could be fined or even loose my liscense over the practices in our office. I have no control because I am not a manager and our manager is not liscened. This Saturday we don't even have an optician scheduled in until 3:00pm violating the law. I had a meeting with our district manager and after that meeting my hours are being cut drastically. I can call our state optical board but it doesn't seem like anything ever gets done. Is there anything I can do or should I start looking for a new job

Happens all the time in NY. I called the state turned in people and all the state did was turn a deaf ear. They don't care. They know it happens and instead of protecting the law abiding people they let it slide. i know of people now who are working with out a license and are suppose to be under a supervisor (ie licensed optician or OD or OMD ) for training and they are under no supervision at all. I complained to the state and the state did nothing. NY is a joke. Ever since they put in that MICKEY MOUSE ABO they have let every Tom, Dick or Harry into our profession. ( No disrepect to the Tom, Dicks or Harry's of our world).

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    NYS won't even stop unlicensed people from doing refractions. Is it any wonder they won't stop unlicensed people from taking other measurements?

CL Fitter/Optician/Mommy SarahMP584's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have been wondering the same thing, the (ahem) Chain I USED to work for isnt all that law abiding either. One of the locations here in town has not one person on staff with ABO/NCLE or state licenses for either, they have an ABO hanging on the wall that belongs to the district manager who doesnt work in that store. They have no legal right to be dispensing contact lenses! It drives me nuts. California has bigger fish to fry though, so they dont really care.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We all break the some law (some law for something) sometime. Now it depends what law, who does it affect, how does it affect them and how much?
    Everytime someone spits on the sidewalk you don't call the cops.
    If someone is doing something that harms someone, or puts someone (and don't tell me about the great unwashed public) in danger. Then one should speak up.
    But we can't all be the little girl from elementary school that's always saying: "I'm tellin..."
    So what is going on that puts you or someone in danger, or their property in danger?

Chip

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I am going to give you some advice - (I used to work for a VERY large chain for 16+ years ...)

1) be very careful what you post on this board.

2) I would be looking for another job - a) they don't seem to respect the profession b) your name is probably on "the list" as a troublemaker ...

3) step very carefully ... (and it wouldn't hurt to document, document document who you have told, when, and in the most objective voice possible, the response you received).

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by GOS_Queen View Post
    I am going to give you some advice - (I used to work for a VERY large chain for 16+ years ...)

1) be very careful what you post on this board.

2) I would be looking for another job - a) they don't seem to respect the profession b) your name is probably on "the list" as a troublemaker ...

3) step very carefully ... (and it wouldn't hurt to document, document document who you have told, when, and in the most objective voice possible, the response you received).

I've noticed that us 'troublemakers' don't usually stay with the chains for the long haul.

Just remember that most corporations frown on independent thought.

Documentation is good, but doesn't matter if nobody listens to you.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Newyorkoptician View Post
    Ever since they put in that MICKEY MOUSE ABO they have let every Tom, Dick or Harry into our profession. ( No disrepect to the Tom, Dicks or Harry's of our world).
    Hey I represent that. Seriously that's how I got my job they were lookign for any Tom, Dick, or Harry and I was qualified as a Harry. :D
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Documentation is good, but doesn't matter if nobody listens to you.
    A sharp attorney would listen

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post

I'll second that! It is amazing what value an attorney Can have!

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post

Its usually easier to walk away than fight with L...big chains. With a lawyer or not.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

sent you a PM

I sent a Pm to request some private consult on this. We do have an active state board examiner who takes action about things like dispensing contact lenses without an Rx or fining businesses for dispensing without a licensed optician. You have to watch what is public on this board. Your employer may be monitoring.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would absolutely blow the whistle, and not just internally. I'd make damn sure I had another job first, though.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jags018 View Post
    I can call our state optical board but it doesn't seem like anything ever gets done. Is there anything I can do or should I start looking for a new job

Not true at all.

Call the board. They are very approachable. Talk to the inspector himself, and set up an appointment for him to make a visit. He wants and needs to know.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Make a complaint

Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Not true at all.

Call the board. They are very approachable. Talk to the inspector himself, and set up an appointment for him to make a visit. He wants and needs to know.
    Complaints can be kept anonymous. Forms are at this site www.optical.ohio.gov/forms/ComplaintForm.pdf ).

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    No matter how right you are, or extreme the situation, you will have the whistleblower reputation and have trouble finding a new position.

Better to just find another position.

Situations on the rumor mill get distorted. Optical is a small community, there is nothing secret. It could get twisted that you were the problem. Because your ex-boss will sure spread the word that he did nothing wrong.

Leave and don't appear vindictive.

Harry

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why bother haven't you noticed no one is even interested in the president's birth certifercate in order to prove or disprove his citizenship and eligibility or lack of same to be president. So who's gonna pay attention to your little triffle?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Why bother haven't you noticed no one is even interested in the president's birth certifercate in order to prove or disprove his citizenship and eligibility or lack of same to be president. So who's gonna pay attention to your little triffle?

This copy of Obama's birth certificate was published in the Los Angeles Times.

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/wash...ama-birth.html

It's a good thing I double-checked on this. You never know what that "government" in D.C. could let slip thru..

:bbg::bbg::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    So what is going on that puts you or someone in danger, or their property in danger?

Exactly what I was wondering.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

re: no license on the premises

I used to work for a large chain and found they are much more interested in "team players" than with following regulations.

I would like to believe they're ultimately shooting themselves in the foot by operating without having licensed personnel on the premises, but it's hard to see evidence of customers/patients caring. Sad

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Document and record EVERYTHING. Keep every e-mail sent, to document correspondance. Date every conversation and what was said.

If you are terminated, you now have documents to back up your claims. Then consult legal advice, along with contacting all regulating associations.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The bottom line is do you want to stay in the prof. your in or move to an other prof. I had a problem over 25 years ago in an other STATE Italked to a lawyer about the problem. He said to me you can fight this and lose your house,friends and nothing will be solved,but a lost law suite. He laid it all out for me. I had emails phone records invoices,I HAD EVERYTHING, HE SAID WE COULD SUE FOR $10MILLION WOULD IWIN THE CHANCES WERE 75% IN MY FAVOR, BUT THEY HAVE MORE MONEY AND TIME. IT COULD DRAG OUT IN COURT IF IT GOES TO COURT ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND WHAT THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH. Iknow if I WAS SINGLE AT THAT TIME I WOULD HAVE GONE ON WITH THE SUITE. SO THINK ABOUT YOUR FAMILY THAT WHAT IT MIGHT HAPPEN IF YOUR MARRIED WITH KIDS,AND YOU SOUND YOUNG THINK NO BODY CARES ABOUT YOU AND ALL THESE PEOPLE SAY THEY WOULD THEY MIGHT BUT 95% THEY WANT DO IT.

DON PRICE ABO/NCLE

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by dcdwn View Post
    The bottom line is do you want to stay in the prof. your in or move to an other prof. I had a problem over 25 years ago in an other STATE Italked to a lawyer about the problem. He said to me you can fight this and lose your house,friends and nothing will be solved,but a lost law suite. He laid it all out for me. I had emails phone records invoices,I HAD EVERYTHING, HE SAID WE COULD SUE FOR $10MILLION WOULD IWIN THE CHANCES WERE 75% IN MY FAVOR, BUT THEY HAVE MORE MONEY AND TIME. IT COULD DRAG OUT IN COURT IF IT GOES TO COURT ITS ALL ABOUT MONEY AND WHAT THEY CAN GET AWAY WITH. Iknow if I WAS SINGLE AT THAT TIME I WOULD HAVE GONE ON WITH THE SUITE. SO THINK ABOUT YOUR FAMILY THAT WHAT IT MIGHT HAPPEN IF YOUR MARRIED WITH KIDS,AND YOU SOUND YOUNG THINK NO BODY CARES ABOUT YOU AND ALL THESE PEOPLE SAY THEY WOULD THEY MIGHT BUT 95% THEY WANT DO IT.

DON PRICE ABO/NCLE
    OK, I'm seriously not trying to be mean, but you're ABO/NCLE.
    1. CAPS TRANSLATES TO YELLING.
    2. "You are"="You're"
    3. "Will Not"="Won't"
    4. A space is expected to seperate words even when a comma is used between them.
    5. Sentances end in periods.

[/rant]

Thread Information