Thread: What exactly is the Guild?

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

What exactly is the Guild?

I'm looking through the OAA's latest newsletter, and I notice a page dedicated to the Guild.

What, exactly, is the Guild? I've often heard about this group, but I've never managed to get a clear impression of what the Guild does.

Any Guild members out there?
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I used to work for a member firm. Was composed of excellent member optician firms. Strictly ethical practices (No precriber money allowed in ownership). I don't know if the same rules apply today. But places like Ridgeways in Atlanta, Mississippi Optical and Odom's in Jackson belonged. Think Tom Clancy was a member.

Due to ethical conciderations having disappeared from our business, membership has greatly declined.

Origionally an offshoot of the "Worshipful Society of Spectacle Makers" of England. (These folks had the power to destroy any inferior product when found)

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 12-02-2001 at 08:15 AM.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Apparently, they are looking to reignite interest in Guild membership (according to the article in the OAA newsletter Optician.

Come now, though... the "Worship Society of Spectacle Makers?" Now THAT's an odd name!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually Guys, it is the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers. It is one of London's guilds and was formed around 1650. By London I mean the City of London, which is the one square mile in which the financial districtis located. Most of what is known as London is actually the City of Westminster. Being a fellow of the Worshipful Company of Spectacle Makers (FSMC) gives you some strange priviledges I believe, such as the right to carry a sword and drive your herd of sheepoverLondon Bridge (but I wouldn't try it).
    Regards
    David

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My firm, Holland Canty Opticians is also a Guild firm. The Guild actually pre-dates OAA by many years and is recognized by the Ophthalmology community for our adherence to the highest quality standards. Many of my referring Opthalmologists do so because of Holland Canty's long standing Guild affiliation. You can find more information on the OAA website, www.oaa.org.

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar

Smilie

Pete, We have been a Guild firm member of the OAA for about 15 years. You must be an OAA firm member, employ only ABOC opticians, not be controlled by a prescribing eye doctor, and abide by the Guilds Code of Ethics 1] To maintain the highest level of professional opticianry, thereby protecting the consumer's interests. 2] To meet the high standards of the Guild to ensure that effiency and service are always provided. 3] To furnish a source for eyecare products and services, independent of those prescribing for eyecare needs. 4] To promote the conservation of human eyesight. 5] To supply only the finest quality optical products and services, representing the state of the art in opticianry. and 6] To participate in and encourage continuing education for eyecare professionals. Basically, Guild opticians see thier profession as uniquely seperate from ophthalmology and optometry and very different from optical 'retail' chains. We believe that opticians should be about representing the clients best interests, providing excellant products and services on their own merit. Many firms dropped out a decade back because with MD dispensing forced many to persue business relationships with optometry. I think that the Guild firm members will always have a niche in a market that independent opticians once dominated. Mass marketers have done a good job convincing a naive public that eyewear is all the same, except for how cheap it can be or have fast it can be made. Al.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Thanks for the info, everyone! Sounds like a terrific organization. Alas, I work for an Optometric practice, but if I had my own shop, it would be something I would pursue!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I belonged to the Old Washington Guild back in the '70's & '80's. By 1990, it died out...mostly because most of it's membership did also.......... It was a great organization.It made opticians peers, not competitors! Ah, the good old days........

By the way, Pete...I found out last week that deer can laugh...

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    By the way, Pete...I found out last week that deer can laugh..
    Off with his shirt tail!!! Got a case of Buck Fever, eh?
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Essilor of America

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, the Washington Guild is still meeting monthly in Bethesda.

Thread Information