Thread: Why Be An Optician When You Can Be An Entire Office

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why Be An Optician When You Can Be An Entire Office

Looking for an optician who must have experience in private practice insurance billing / coding and optometric technician skills. Ideal person is computer savvy and has excellent people, sales and fashion skills. 35-40 hour flexible work week (hours between 10 AM to 6 PM), 2 consecutive days off guaranteed, must be willing to work some Saturdays (11 AM to 6 PM) and Sundays (12 to 4 PM). Please send resume and references.
    Found this ad online. I can only hope it pays at least $10/hr.

Is this what our profession is coming to?
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Where can I sign up?

:hammer::cheers::cheers::cheers::angry:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by bob_f_aboc View Post
    Found this ad online. I can only hope it pays at least $10/hr.

Is this what our profession is coming to?
    What no refracting duties?? Where can I apply?? :hammer: :hammer:

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Look out for the "extras", meaning.... cleaning the toilet and dusting the baseboards!:idea:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What?!?

They're trying to replace...ME?
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    what is so bad about it?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    what is so bad about it?
    It's not a government job?

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    It's not a government job?

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D
    well that is part of it :)

But what particularly in there is offensive? I think I am missing something.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    well that is part of it :)

But what particularly in there is offensive? I think I am missing something.

I think what gets me is that they want an optician, insurance filer, exam coder, & optometric tech all rolled into one, that will work weekends. I have seen ads like this before and they want everything for around $11-12/hr.

To me this devalues our profession.

Sorry you don't see it that way.

Occupation
    I think what gets me is that they want an optician, insurance filer, exam coder, & optometric tech all rolled into one, that will work weekends. I have seen ads like this before and they want everything for around $11-12/hr.

Sorry you don't see it that way.
    I agree that you do not want to be paid poorly, but no task should be too low for any of us :) If they want to pay an optician's wage for someone to do basic activities, so be it.

But assistants (secretaries) should not be hired because the tasks are too humble for other staff members. They should be hired to relieve the professionals to do their day to day activities.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But assistants (secretaries) should not be hired because the tasks are too humble for other staff members. They should be hired to relieve the professionals to do their day to day activities.
    And your point is...?

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Put in there network administrator and a few other duties and you will be able to have my job description in there.

Not every practice is one that needs 4-6 staff present to run. However, I do wish I had at least one other person every day there. Knowing that most likely the office will close if one can not be present makes you do things like send sick kids to school, or put off your own appointments. Everyone loves having their glasses dispensed by someone who is obviously ill.

Oh, for what it is worth.. I get paid more than the 11-12/hr .. but not nearly enough for what all I do!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why be an optician...

Sounds like their just trying to weed out the idiots.
    You would not believe the expectations of some of the applicants we get.
    Or of the people that have been hired.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    And your point is...?
    My point is that sometimes in your job you have to do some tasks that are beneath your education and experience. Actually, you SHOULD do those things.

Johns, my last job was working in a municipality. Because I wanted to know more about our whole operations, I spent one day in waste-management. Yes, I got up one February morning where it was -25C outside, went with a unionized crew, and picked up garbage from peoples houses. After that, the union loved me, and other municipal managers that heard about it loved me. I showed that I was not above anyone.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My point is that sometimes in your job you have to do some tasks that are beneath your education and experience. Actually, you SHOULD do those things.
    Hey, that's great! If you want to go out (once) and pick up trash with the "unionized crew" for brownie points or to make friends with them or whatever, that's fine. But I don't see that it serves any purpose. It sounds more like politicking to me (look how he/she reaches across the aisle, relates to the underlings, is one of us, etc...)Kind of reminds me of Al Gore going duck hunting. Should I have my ODs spend a day answering the phones and unpacking contact lenses boxes? I think not.

It might be helpful to know how to do some tasks, but doing them as a matter of course make no sense (or cents). I couldn't fill out a 1500 form if my life depended on it, nor can I log on to the Eyemed website. It's not beneath me, it's just that I am more valuable to the company doing other tasks.

Not everybody can be the doctor, nor the optician. I don't expect the cleaning girl (no guys applied for the job:o) to do the receptionist job either.

We need lower skilled labor. They don't have to stay at that level, but unless you want to start paying $18 for your Value meal hamburger at McDonalds, that's the way it works.

How about Jose (you know, Obama's new best friend from the "Town Mtg") that works at McDonalds. He's had the same job for 4 years because "he can't find another one..." If he was increasing his skills, he'd have advanced up the ladder at McDonalds, but because he hasn't he must now go to college so he can get a gov't. job.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Hey, that's great! If you want to go out (once) and pick up trash with the "unionized crew" for brownie points or to make friends with them or whatever, that's fine. But I don't see that it serves any purpose. It sounds more like politicking to me (look how he/she reaches across the aisle, relates to the underlings, is one of us, etc...)Kind of reminds me of Al Gore going duck hunting. Should I have my ODs spend a day answering the phones and unpacking contact lenses boxes? I think not.

It might be helpful to know how to do some tasks, but doing them as a matter of course make no sense (or cents). I couldn't fill out a 1500 form if my life depended on it, nor can I log on to the Eyemed website. It's not beneath me, it's just that I am more valuable to the company doing other tasks.

Not everybody can be the doctor, nor the optician. I don't expect the cleaning girl (no guys applied for the job:o) to do the receptionist job either.

We need lower skilled labor. They don't have to stay at that level, but unless you want to start paying $18 for your Value meal hamburger at McDonalds, that's the way it works.

How about Jose (you know, Obama's new best friend from the "Town Mtg") that works at McDonalds. He's had the same job for 4 years because "he can't find another one..." If he was increasing his skills, he'd have advanced up the ladder at McDonalds, but because he hasn't he must now go to college so he can get a gov't. job.
    It provided knowledge of what actually happens on that duty, thus making me more insightful of the overall operations. By doing the daily duties of the job, it will help you remain humble and give you the perspective of what all positions face. Thus, you are better prepared to make improvements.

And YES, you should spend a day answering the phone. It provides you a different contact with your patients, thus making you more understanding, thus making you a better optician.

Yes, for your company, you may have more valuable work to do that insurance forms, but maybe for this organization they do not need enough staff to hire someone to be the optician 100% of the time and someone else to be the insurance person 100% of the time. If you have free time, then do the work that needs to be done.

No one, and I mean even President Obama is too high up to do small jobs. Get over your degree and help the business where it is needed.

Personally, one aspect that I look for when hiring people is that they are not looking for a formal job description. Your job is to do what is needed. We have placed this ad with this pay involved for this specific position. I have full intention to give you as much value oriented work as possible. But once and a while, you will have to fill in here or there. If you are not willing to do that, then go somewhere else. I would love to hang a sign that says "check your egos at the door."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Actually that describes my position fairly accurately and I get paid a lot more than that. Do we know for a fact what they are offering? If they truely want somone that well rounded who will work weekends they are going to end up paying more to get what they want. Or they will settle for less.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by cocoisland58 View Post
    Actually that describes my position fairly accurately and I get paid a lot more than that. Do we know for a fact what they are offering? If they truely want somone that well rounded who will work weekends they are going to end up paying more to get what they want. Or they will settle for less.
    No, I don't know what this particular office is offering. However, other ads written nearly verbatim have responded with, "we can't pay that much. We are looking to pay no more than $12/hour."

I do perform all those duties in my office. I make substantially more than that too. When the doctors hired new staff, billing, filing, reception, tech, testing, I was the one that trained them. The standing protocol in my office is: If you have a question about something, ask Bob.

From the receptionist when an appointment is lost in the computer to the insurance filer that can't figure out why a claim was denied to the tech that can't get good K readings to the other optician with 20 years experience that didn't know frame measurements affected uncut lens thickness or is afraid to adjust rimless frames to the OMD that wants my assistance to I&D a chalazion because the techs don't like to do it to the patient's children that have to be entertained while the parent is being examined to giving directions to the office because our staff is too new to know the streets in the area, I can do everything in the office except sign an exam record.

I sure as hell am not going to do all of that PLUS explain lenses and sell glasses and check in jobs from the lab and do all of the edging and repairs for $12/hour. And I'm definately not going to do it on Saturday and Sunday to boot.

If you are hiring a professional, pay accordingly. If you are expecting that professional to also do the duties of another professional, increase the pay and benefits.

These startup ODs can't figure out why they have no repeat business. Who do you think they are going to be able to hire for what they want at what they are willing to pay.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I do. I love my patients. But, I'm not independently wealthy and will not tolerate doing the work that should be done by 3, 4, or 5 people making a combined total of ~$50-100 per hour for an offer of $12.

Its insulting and devalues this profession.

For-Life,
    How long did you remain on call for trash pick-up? If they would have called you at 3:00am two weeks later and told you they had 3 men out with the flu, would you have jumped out of bed and done the job for the rest of the week for no additional pay?

[/rant]

Occupation
    No, I don't know what this particular office is offering. However, other ads written nearly verbatim have responded with, "we can't pay that much. We are looking to pay no more than $12/hour."

I do perform all those duties in my office. I make substantially more than that too. When the doctors hired new staff, billing, filing, reception, tech, testing, I was the one that trained them. The standing protocol in my office is: If you have a question about something, ask Bob.

From the receptionist when an appointment is lost in the computer to the insurance filer that can't figure out why a claim was denied to the tech that can't get good K readings to the other optician with 20 years experience that didn't know frame measurements affected uncut lens thickness or is afraid to adjust rimless frames to the OMD that wants my assistance to I&D a chalazion because the techs don't like to do it to the patient's children that have to be entertained while the parent is being examined to giving directions to the office because our staff is too new to know the streets in the area, I can do everything in the office except sign an exam record.

I sure as hell am not going to do all of that PLUS explain lenses and sell glasses and check in jobs from the lab and do all of the edging and repairs for $12/hour. And I'm definately not going to do it on Saturday and Sunday to boot.

If you are hiring a professional, pay accordingly. If you are expecting that professional to also do the duties of another professional, increase the pay and benefits.

These startup ODs can't figure out why they have no repeat business. Who do you think they are going to be able to hire for what they want at what they are willing to pay.

Don't get me wrong, I love what I do. I love my patients. But, I'm not independently wealthy and will not tolerate doing the work that should be done by 3, 4, or 5 people making a combined total of ~$50-100 per hour for an offer of $12.

Its insulting and devalues this profession.

For-Life,
    How long did you remain on call for trash pick-up? If they would have called you at 3:00am two weeks later and told you they had 3 men out with the flu, would you have jumped out of bed and done the job for the rest of the week for no additional pay?

[/rant]
    I don't think anyone here is expecting you to do that for $12 an hour. Yes, doing what you are doing for $12 an hour is a joke, and is a joke solely based on your license (you deserve more).

As for the trash pick up, Bob if I did it for anymore than that day, I would have had a grievance filed against me. In this case, it was not as much that they needed the help as that they saw someone from management who was interested to learn a little about their day to day operations.

But yeah, I have no problem doing tasks that are well beyond my degree. I also have no problems working weekends, if I get the promised two days off that they have in the job ad. To me, Monday/Tuesday off is just as good as Saturday/Sunday. But I do not have a wife or kids. With that said, if I did have a wife and a child, I would probably want a day off when she is at work and the child is at school. Never got why people would want to be off at the same time :p:p:p:p:p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think anyone here is expecting you to do that for $12 an hour. Yes, doing what you are doing for $12 an hour is a joke, and is a joke solely based on your license (you deserve more).

As for the trash pick up, Bob if I did it for anymore than that day, I would have had a grievance filed against me. In this case, it was not as much that they needed the help as that they saw someone from management who was interested to learn a little about their day to day operations.

But yeah, I have no problem doing tasks that are well beyond my degree. I also have no problems working weekends, if I get the promised two days off that they have in the job ad. To me, Monday/Tuesday off is just as good as Saturday/Sunday. But I do not have a wife or kids. With that said, if I did have a wife and a child, I would probably want a day off when she is at work and the child is at school. Never got why people would want to be off at the same time :p:p:p:p:p

I get it. Its not that you don't want to help the trash men, its that they won't let you. Sometimes I wish my job was like that.

As far as goning beyond your degree, I don't have a formal degree. Everything I have learned has been either OTJ or from non-stop reading. (Sidenote: I thought I was pretty smart til I started frequenting OB)
    Before I started in this field, I was an unemployed forklift driver with a job at McDonalds.

Its one thing to say you will go above and beyond, but they won't let me. Its quite another to have your job depend on it without having to be asked. If the work doesn't get done, the doctor doesn't get paid, the office can't stay open, I'm on the street. All I was pointing out in the original post was that our knowledge bleeds over into so many other areas of the typical office so much that our skills and knowledge are being taken for granted.

If you ever have children, you will understand the importance of having your weekends free to spend with them. I was stuck working in a mall 6 days a week for the first 6 years of my daughter's life. That is time that I will never get back. I make it a point to spend as much time with her on the weekends now as I possibly can. When I want time to myself, I stay up late and have all the 'me' time I need.

Occupation
    Bob, union people are very protective of their jobs. For them to even let me work with them that one day, they had to know that it will not today or ever in the future cost them one cent of pay or one cent of pay to a future union position.

I remember talking to one person back in the coffee room. He asked who did the dishes. I told him the cleaning staff. He said it was nice of them. I told him that if we did them, we would get in trouble.

But the good news, I no longer work with unions :)

And I get what you mean about weekends and families. I was just kidding about the time off thing with them.

Thread Information