Thread: Designer Sunglasses Vs. Knockoffs

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Arrow Designer Sunglasses Vs. Knockoffs

Hello Everyone!

I am in a little dilemma, at our store we carry nothing but designer sunglasses, our store is in a small mall and we are the only optical store inside, but lately other stores in mall like jewellry stores, clothing stores and dollar store are starting to carry knockoff sunglasses I'm sure it will effect our business somewhat should I start to carry knockoffs as well but on the other had I dont want to ruin my sales for designer sunglasses, what should I do? Thanks for your input in advance.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What's the quality like of the "designer" vs. the "knockoff"? Why do people come into your store now...are they looking for the original designer? If so, you may not have to worry about a thing...Most of them will continue to come to you because they want the "real" thing

IMHO, displaying a "knockoff" right next to a "designer" is a big NO-NO (and the designers might think so, too :bbg:). If you have people coming in and the designer line is a little too pricey, maybe you could offer good quality lower priced option?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    IMHO, displaying a "knockoff" right next to a "designer" is a big NO-NO (and the designers might think so, too :bbg:). If you have people coming in and the designer line is a little too pricey, maybe you could offer good quality lower priced option?
    I agree with that, however we will put desiger look alike next to designers, but we don't carry knockoffs (an unauthorized copy or imitation is different than a look alike).
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    What's the quality like of the "designer" vs. the "knockoff"? Why do people come into your store now...are they looking for the original designer? If so, you may not have to worry about a thing...Most of them will continue to come to you because they want the "real" thing

do you guys recommend any good real designer sunglasses with reasonable price point?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In our mall, we have Zellers, a couple clothing retailers, and a dollar store. One reason (not the only reason) why we do not carry cheap sunglasses is because they do. We offer something different.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    For-life is right, if everyone else is offering `knock offs` than you aren`t doing yourself a favour by doing `what everyone else is doing. Another thing that other stores don`t have to worry about when selling cheap sunnies is that most likely we will have to put RX polarized sun lenses in them (which most times works out being more expensive than even the designer frame) So we have to make sure the frames that we`re offering will last the full two years without breaking.

Thread Information