Thread: Why should I sponsor the OptiBoard?

Bad address email on file

Why should I sponsor the OptiBoard?

A three part-er:

1- If a vendor said to you, “As a smart businessperson, why should I sponsor the OptiBoard?”, how would you respond?

2- How has your business with and/or opinion of the board’s sponsors changed as a result of their sponsorship of this board?

3- There is a page on this site called “Optical Links”. Without looking, take a guess as to how many links are on that page (no peeking!). How many times would you guess you looked at that page?

(I ask all of these questions with a genuine sense of respect for what is done here.)

As always, thanks for the input!

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    Why sponsor Optiboard ?
    Well if you want to make sure that your company name gets round the Optical World (and i mean world) as we come from all over the globe to this site, I dont think that you would find a more cost efficient way of doing this.

As to changing opinions as yet there is only "Transitions" who sponsor the main forum and "Optical Dynamics" who sponsor the news letter, so its early days on this one but i for one had never heard of "Optical Dynamics" before this.

Optical links
    Not many yet, Steve is still working on this. I know how hard it is to do this as i have a links section on my site as well. How often do i look at it quite a lot as it is a good resource for finding out imformation about optics.

All in all you could do a lot worse than sponsoring a forum here. Sure you could do better but it would cost you far more. Just think your name at The top of this page Now think how many optical people around the world will be reading this and seeing YOUR name....

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    1- If a vendor said to you, “As a smart businessperson, why should I sponsor the OptiBoard?”, how would you respond?
    Visibility & Accessibility! I read most of the trade journals, and I remember very few of the ads I see (and there are a lot). Although Transitions has been the primary (and for the most part, sole) sponsor of the board to this point, I can say I've gone to the Transitions web site as a result of their sponsorship (which I hadn't done before their appearance on OptiBoard). If they would have Steve post graphics near their logos to let me know when there was new content on their page, I'd revisit their site at those times.

As a brilliant businessperson, I would say sponsorship could be best utilized by combining sponsorship with an active role in OptiBoard. Roam the pages to look for questions on your product (or have Steve do a search for your company's name periodically to make you aware of postings you are listed in). Start strings related to interesting services you offer! Offer to hold chat sessions for people with questions about your services or products! This is an industry where real information is sometimes hard to come by. Speaking personally, if a company is willing to really tell me what is unique about what they offer, I'm much more likely to utilize their product (Essilor does a good job of this).

2- How has your business with and/or opinion of the board’s sponsors changed as a result of their sponsorship of this board?
    Well, almost everyone deals with Transitions already. To be honest, I could say that I've been waiting for a frame or lens manufacturer to come on board! Give me an interactive place on line to deal with your company and you will spring to the top of my mind when I need a related product.

3- There is a page on this site called “Optical Links”. Without looking, take a guess as to how many links are on that page (no peeking!). How many times would you guess you looked at that page?
    Geesh! Without looking (and it is tempting), I'd have to say there are at least forty or so links. I happen to have one (Pete's Web Design), and I've had a few people email me as a result of being on OptiBoard. Personally, I've found ComputerEyes and Gerber/Coburn's web sites by looking on the page. How often do I visit? Not too often, about once a month. Pretty much anytime I need a product I'll look on the links page to see if there is a provider of that product with a link. If I were sponsoring something myself, it would be either the General Discussion, Just Conversation, or maybe Ophthalmic Optics page- depending upon the nature of your business. I'd have a graphic that explained why someone should bother to click on the link, and I'd get back to the people who did!

Sorry for the length. I've been utilizing OptiBoard for about five+ years now. Posting on OptiBoard landed me at my current position, actually, and has proven a valuable resource for all sorts of optical dilemmas!
    Pete Hanlin, ABOM
    Vice President Professional Services
    Essilor of America

http://linkedin.com/in/pete-hanlin-72a3a74

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Thanks for your time, Tammy.

Since we've already spoke and I suggested this thread, I will sit back and be as quiet as I'm capable of. I will chime in after Steve completes a post regarding sponsorships as another announcement/thread. Except for this: fellow OptiBoarders please take the time to respond. It will give Steve and I both a lot of insight into how sponsors can help make this a better board for all. Steve does an incredible job,with limited resources of making this the "Premier Online Community" for us and now it's my job to assist in furthering the sponsorships so he and the moderators can continue the terrific enhancements and value this board offers.

Master OptiBoarder Joann Raytar's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Why should I sponsor the OptiBoard?

Originally posted by TammyD
    OptiBoard has 1,289 registered members and 23,425 total posts as of this time. Not every member posts on OptiBoard but all of them have visited and many come through more than once. Having a logo on the top of OptiBoard is like having your name in a spotlight because the side and top margins are not filled with multiple advertisers. OptiBoard has a familiar, community feel to its content. Sponsoring OptiBoard may make your business seem more consumer friendly. Finally, sponsoring OptiBoard is probably less expensive than the fees needed to have your URL listed in the top percent of most major search engines.
    Before OptiBoard, I may have visited the Transitions' website once perhaps not at all. Now, if a new product is rolling out or if I am looking for information about the company itself, the link is right there; all I have to do is click on their logo. I would say I have visited the Transitions website much more frequently than I would have if I didn't see their logo on OptiBoard. Obviously, I am grateful that Transitions sponsors OptiBoard. Steve does a ton of hard work for us and it is good to see that one of the major companies in the Optical Industry is sponsoring OptiBoard and in return sponsoring us as a group of peers.
    I would guess twenty-five links. I must have looked at the links page ten times or more. The links page is important when I am researching a company or topic.

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

3 Answers

Question 1.

Exposure.Sponsorship of an Optiboard Forum will provide the vendor with exposure to his market.Having the right product at the right time is only 2/3's of the equation.Optiboard is the right place.It contains a concerned, educated, and rapidly growing membership.Thats considering registered members only.There also exists a substantial population of visitors who come to this site regularly but only observe.A vendors sponsorship will be noticed by a lot more than just members,

Question 2

The only experience so far is with Transitions, and that has been positive.I have taken the opportunity to visit their site through the Optiboard link and as a result have gotten POS aids which have enhanced my business.I have also been given statement stuffers to allow a direct mail campaign featuring their product and my promotion.A positive experience for me.

Question 3

I used to be a regular visitor to Optical Links years ago.I have not visited that page for a long while because I bookmarked the sites I wanted in my own set.I remember about a full page of links but had no idea then, or now, how many there are.At this point in time many of you have learned what my wife has known for a long time......I can be less than observant at times.I do not consider this to be a character defect....its just that my mind often wanders......
    best from harry
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    The power of advertising is really great provided that the adverts are pushed at you continuously.

We've learned that in our business. The occasional ad in the local press or concert brochure is very nice to show your face, but in terms of 'pulling power'..... forget it.

Now, when I think of the word 'Optiboard' I immediately connect it with the word 'Transitions' It's not strange really, because one word follows the other on the top of the page.

I'm going to be really honest, I don't think the advertising has influenced me to suggest to patients that they take Transitions in favour of Sunsensors. I will still judge each dispensing on its own merits and needs, however,if my local lab is doing a special deal in December, let's say, of 35% off Transitions, then that would certainly swing me!!

Regarding the Links page. I'm ashamed to say I didn't even realise it was there, I suppose because I've bookmarked my browser to go direct to the pages I mostly use. I'll correct this.

Optiboard presents the profession with an uncluttered forum of information.
    I am now going to be selfish and say I would be upset to see a plethora of sponsors with their adverts popping up and slowing down access to the pages, on the other hand, sponsors are needed if the site has to be funded and we as the 'viewers' are getting it for free.... it's a trade-off isn't it?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does anyone have any new thoughts on this one?

Bad address email on file John R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field

Thumbs up If

If you are thinking of sponsoring Optiboard or a forum, you can be assured that this site will not become another of the .com crashes that seem to litter the papers.
    Why you may ask,
    Well its clear to see that we already have quite a large user base which is growing everyday, Could you find a better way of reaching so many people around the world in ONE easy step. You not only catch people at work but YOUR name would be seen by us all the time.
    In the end this site will not fail because it is run by the users for the users.

Bad address email on file

Bringing it back to the surface

I think this one merits revisiting, especially for the sake of those (Steve) who have to try to make a living of this OptiBoard thing. Please take a few moments to really reflect on this so Steve has some ammunition to use when defending this great community.

Thanks!
    TammyD

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Exclamation You are TOTALLY wrong...................

TammyD said:
    A three part-er:

(I ask all of these questions with a genuine sense of respect for what is done here.)

As always, thanks for the input!

You are from a large successfull company selling all the pills to treat lenses. You should support a website like this.

I am from a small and un-important supplier and are more and more inclined to contribute something to Optiboard instead of the magazines that are too political and the trade shows that are a dyeing dinosaur. Actually I dont see you on any of them.

Chris Ryser

:cheers:

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    ;;
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 02-24-2007 at 08:10 AM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    GHary, serious inguiries about sponsorship opportunities can be sent to smachol@optiboard.com.

Also there's plenty of places on the net where you can find avatars. Try Google search. Here's one link:

http://www.freeavatars.net/

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just called LIVE Eyewear today to re-order another shipment of sunglasses.

Let me re-phrase that:

"I just re-ordered a product from a company that 6 months ago, I had never heard of, and now they are on our vendor list."

...And no, I wouldn't have ordered the product from seeing it plastered all over the trade mags because it would have been lost in the mish-mash of all the other products.

-Johns

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Re: Why should I sponsor the OptiBoard?

It has been a year since you originally posted this thread and I can safely say that some of my opinions have changed a bit.
    A smart businessperson should sponsor OptiBoard because if you have a new product line rolling out, OptiBoard is the first place many Optical Professionals come to learn about new technology. There is almost always a member of OptiBoard who is looking to find out about a new product. If you are a sponsor, OptiBoard is tremendous way of getting the word out in a more intimate setting. It may not be the same "one on one" as sending a representative out to accounts in person, but because posting comments and questions and receiving replies is a more interactive process OptiBoard is a better information spring board than any periodical or brochure.
    This is an easy one. I would not be wearing a pair of Transitions myself if it weren't for OptiBoard. After hearing all of the positive feedback about Transitions NG, I recommend Transitions to more patients than I ever have in the past. Those patients who purchase Transitions NG walk away happier with their purchases than those previously wearing old technology photochromics or clear lenses.
    Even though I still visit the links page when I am hunting down a company, I still couldn't tell you the exact number of links. I know I have to scroll down through the list because there are so many there.

Thread Information