Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: So What Would You Do?

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Actually Beemers new and used are starting to provide free service.

But then they have a quality product and quality service.

Chip

Is your point that opticians do not have quality products or quality service ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post
    I know, you make terrific points. (LOL! I think the bank should really look into the 2 for 1 idea! ;))

I look at repairs and adjustments more like a free consultation....while fixing their glasses we talk about new frame styles, the age of their prescription, new lens materials, sunglasses, etc...and, lots of times, it's just general life stuff. In the end, they leave happy (and with a business card :D)

Yes and were you happy ? The hair dresser may have charged $ 150.00 for that "do' and they likely recieved a nice 15 to 20 percent tip and they were not asked to provide the client with free shampoo, hair spray and coloring . Geez when did you last get a tip ?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    There are definitely two sides to this "give away" debate and there is merit to both sides .

Perhaps the real answer lies in the way we present our give away items to the customer. I'll bet that most of you keep your screws , nosepads , and replacement parts in the back room in some form of bins.

What would happen if these parts were on display in plastic bags , 2 screws to a bag , 2 nose pads to a bag , 1 adjustment in a bag ...and individually price tagged ?

Now as you fix and repair their glasses, the customer watches you open a new bag just for their glasses and he sees the individual cost of the parts going into his eyewear. Now he knows the value . You could still give it away at this point , but now they have a value to associate with your goods and service.

Do the same with cases . Display them with prices in individual bags and let the customer chose . You might have some that are free with the frame but the others are not.

Having the price on it and the way you present the product is important.

Banned
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    If you condition people to believe things are free then they will expect them to be free . What do the online retailers tell people ? "Go to your local optician and they will adjust your glasses for free "

When you buy shoes , do they give you free polish or free laces for replacements ?

When you buy a car , do they give you free washer fluid when you run dry ? Free oil and gas ? free light bulbs ? Will they repaint the car for free when you scratch it ? How much did you pay for the car , was it substantially more than the glasses ? And you buy a new car every 3 to 5 years ?

Does the grocery store give you free food ?

Banks (2 for 1 sales on money) ? Hair dressers (free hair spray ?) Doctors (free diagnosis ?)

Can you name one other business that operates on freebies like opticians ?
    That's a pretty post!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Refractingoptician.com View Post
    There are definitely two sides to this "give away" debate and there is merit to both sides .

Perhaps the real answer lies in the way we present our give away items to the customer. I'll bet that most of you keep your screws , nosepads , and replacement parts in the back room in some form of bins.

What would happen if these parts were on display in plastic bags , 2 screws to a bag , 2 nose pads to a bag , 1 adjustment in a bag ...and individually price tagged ?

Now as you fix and repair their glasses, the customer watches you open a new bag just for their glasses and he sees the individual cost of the parts going into his eyewear. Now he knows the value . You could still give it away at this point , but now they have a value to associate with your goods and service.

Do the same with cases . Display them with prices in individual bags and let the customer chose . You might have some that are free with the frame but the others are not.

Having the price on it and the way you present the product is important.
    Nice post, not as colorful, but loaded with nice tid-bits! :D ;)

I like this idea. And, I agree...presentation means alot.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Flaw

If placed in priced bags patients will buy "spares" then they will find out that whatever they purchased doesn't fit. Think of the different sizes and mounting methods in nose pads, screws and the like. It would be worse than people that buy those little screw/screwdriver kits and find they don't fit thier glasses.
    But here they would have you to come back to. Whereas no one would face a Wall-Mart check-out line again just to fuss about a screw pack.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    If placed in priced bags patients will buy "spares" then they will find out that whatever they purchased doesn't fit. Think of the different sizes and mounting methods in nose pads, screws and the like. It would be worse than people that buy those little screw/screwdriver kits and find they don't fit thier glasses.
    But here they would have you to come back to. Whereas no one would face a Wall-Mart check-out line again just to fuss about a screw pack.

Chip
    So you would continue the give away ?

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd give them away before going trough the hassel of explaining all the options, do's and don'ts and for the PR of fixing it for free.
    Now I have learned not to service contacts even on my old ex patients who's "insurance made them" or "Thier doctor says he's doing it now."
    Don't even give loaners when they have gotten them for the doctor and need one for the weekkl-end and the doctor's office is closed on Saturday.

Chip

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Depends

Honestly, what you do depends on your location and who you cater to. If you're an upscale boutique in New York, you can do whatever you want. Your clientele is there for exclusivity. If you're a big box, you do it free, because that's who you cater to; those lookin for something cheap or free. If you're a small town optical, you know most of your customers, and who's out of towners. Maybe you charge people who'll never come back, and you don't charge the family who's been buying from you for 30 years.

Bottom line to me is this, the more freedom I have to charge as I see fit, and give freebies where it's deserved, the more I enjoy my work.

I really don't think there is a single correct answer to this, thus, the different answers from everyone.

It depends,
    Wes
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Can I post even though I'm not Canadian?

I think Wes is very correct. And so is Fezz and so is Heather and Chip.

At some point we have to start charging for adjustments and fits that weren't sold in house. The internet will force us to do this or we will fail.

Currently, we play it case by case. I don't like charging $2 for a screw. It's not worth my time to print a receipt. And what if they want to use a credit card:shiner:.

However, I tell all my staff that:

"Even though we may not charge . . . NOTHING IS FREE!"

They get shown some new frames or or asked about their "sunwear", or talked to about why "our screw won't come out", or they get to see our cool photo kiosk, or whatever. They are treated with respect and made to feel good. After all, that is what people will really pay for.

I posted this in another thread about charging for nosepads. We try to shower them with so much good infomation about quality eyewear, focusing on the perfect fit and a good cleaning that they almost always ask "How much do I own you?" We quote a nominal price and they pay with a "Thank You"

THe most important part it not getting the $5. It's selling yourself and your shop.

However I do believe that the internet will change the rules. In the future, the guys that provide free fittings for the internet labs will be dealt a harsh hand by the Darwinistic forces of free markets.

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Heather A View Post

I simply can't get my mind right about charging for minor repairs...maybe it's the town I live in...I mean, even our mechanic will "take a peek" at no charge when we are having car trouble. Granted, he may include that "free peek" when he does our repair, but he doesn't do it up front, so it doesn't feel like he's nickel-and-diming (sp?) us to pieces.
    I dont think that mechanic example applies... so if someone comes to you for an adjustment and you do it for free, then they return the next day to buy glasses do you then charge them for yesterday's adjustment?? Sounds like thats what your mechanic does??

Bad address email on file OptiChick21's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Chip
    Yes, but we can't all afford beemers, now can we??

So you get what you pay for, right??

And if you didnt pay ME for it, you may not get it!! :D

Occupation
    Optometrist

Chip

Do BMW dealers offer free service on other manufacturers cars to encourage them to buy from them later?

AA

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Aarlan View Post
    Do BMW dealers offer free service on other manufacturers cars to encourage them to buy from them later?

AA
    How much do BMW dealers charge for service? A couple hundred? How much would you charge for a screw, $10?

I am sure many body shops have ran discounts worth more than $10 on their services to encourage you to get more.

A more reasonable comparison is does my coffee shop or sandwich shop give away free samples to encourage people to try their service. The answer is YES!

McDonald's was offering free coffee for a whole month.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    tell them that the store he got them at did not fit them properly
    Agree.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper do some R & D on this case............

Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post

We obviously need to loook at the 'Internet threat' as a wake-up call.

Our training and expertise has obvious value, yet the Internet crowd is expecting us to give this expertise away at no charge.... go to your Optician and get these measurements....

FEZZ is right... it's time to charge for our time, effort and expertise. We may not be able to stop Internet dispensing, but we don't have to devalue our knowledge base and work against our best interests.

Totally right.................but there several ways to go, discussed and tried out. Probably some of you get these cases a couple of times a week, so they are free walk in trials and you can do do some research and development to find a solution that works.

The OptiBoard is the ideal way to help everybody along because of instant communication and continuous update possibilities.

Bad address email on file Strab's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfnorth View Post
    I had a customer who about a year ago made an appointment with our optometrist (we have a side-by-side operation) but was a no-show.
    He came into the store yesterday and announced that he got his new glasses! (Not from us). He also wondered why it was that they were crooked on his face and also were sliding down?

I'm interested to hear what others would have done in this situation.

Regards,
    Golfnorth
    Honestly, I have had this happen and alarms in my head went off. I smiled kindly and reassured the patient that I am happy to help and adjusted the glasses. While doing so struck up a conversation with a point - to find out WHY he did not return to us for his glasses. I was sure it was not because the pt. forgot about the appointment or had forgotten where we were located. In fact I looked in the mirror then asked the patient what could we do to earn your business? Why did you decide not to return to us? The point here is if the patient didn't come back there was a reason probably due to my own fault and maybe I didn't even realize there was a problem but what better chance than now to discover a way to win this patient back. In this particular case, the patient had gotten their last glasses with us and the AR coating had scratched off so he thought they were junk glasses. Ended up explaining that the AR coating he had gotten from us was not compatible with his woodworking hobby. I was able to strip the coating from his last pair of glasses and he now had a back up pair of glasses. It tickled him pink that we could fix them. The "other place" had told him he had to have new lenses even though after the exam his script had not changed. I have a customer for life.
    Strange how if you just ask the patient they will tell you everything you want to know. They are delighted that you care enough to ask.

Thread Information