Thread: RE: CE Classes

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

RE: CE Classes

I took CE classes in Vegas a year and a half ago and I was terribly dissapointed. Most the classes I attended were only advertisements for products.

For example a class I took on "how to improve your business" involved only a rep for a "photo mirror" company that sold a mirror that took pictures of frames on a patient. I could have spent 15 min in their booth to listen to their speil for free. I learned nothing and wasted both my time and money.

Out of 6 CE classes I only had one that was worthwhile taught by Ed DeGennaro.

What CE instructors teach classes worth taking? Thanks, Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post

Brother Johns, Harry Chiling, and obxeyeguy will be giving, or sharing experience and knowledge at the first annual FezzJohns, *Un-Expo*! I bet the *classes* will be worth every cent....and more!

PS. I am sure glad that I signed on and am going to the event!!!

Let the learning begin!!!!!!
    Last edited by Fezz; 02-03-2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: I FOGOT THE ps!!!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is always a fine line when corporate sponsored lectures are given. On one hand, the seminar is usually free, on the other, you will obviously never get unbiased content, and they will virtually always be a sales schmiel. Even non-sponsored talks are difficult to keep "brand recognition" out of. The same with corporate sponsored case studies and papers...way to biased to be of much value.
    My take? No CE credits to corporations...although the membership will balk at the sudden increase in fees associated with such lectures.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I took CE classes in Vegas a year and a half ago and I was terribly dissapointed. Most the classes I attended were only advertisements for products.

For example a class I took on "how to improve your business" involved only a rep for a "photo mirror" company that sold a mirror that took pictures of frames on a patient. I could have spent 15 min in their booth to listen to their speil for free. I learned nothing and wasted both my time and money.

Out of 6 CE classes I only had one that was worthwhile taught by Ed DeGennaro.

I took a class long ago entitled "Vision and VDTs". At the time, there were three types of anti-glare screen-covers; pierced mesh, "quarter-wave" coated (A/R), and circular polarized. Asked which was preferable, the instructor said he had no idea, didn't use one, rarely used a computer. That same year, I took "High Index Lenses", three hours with a Who's Who panel of instructors. There was never a mention of the differences between 1.54, 1.55, 1.56, 1.57, 1.60, the different versions of 1.66/1.67, etc. Nothing about abbes, which materials were proprietory, which had birefringence or other optics issues. I "learned", over and over again, that high index was thinner, but never how much thinner, and not which were lighter (that knowledge is now better disseminated). There was some mention of aspherics (atorics weren't yet on the scene), but not of the difference asphericity makes in minus versus plus. Total waste of time and money. It has been years since I've learned anything useful at a VE class.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Don't you been dune readin' my posts on "Continuing Education" for the "Optical" industry.
    What's new?
    Don't you know today's Optician is a saleman with no other tallent than pushing the latest and greatest?

Welcome to today's world. What you want someone to tell you how to repair a frame, or tell you what bridge designs fit certian nose shapes, or what types of temples fit certian ears?

Why the very idea, you heretic.

Haven't you notice how many more hits and posts are going to the "Optician Appearance" post.

It's only important that one appear "professional." What you can do with your hands, eyes and mind are only of minimat importance!

Chip
    Last edited by chip anderson; 02-03-2009 at 07:10 PM. Reason: More Scarcasm!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Brother Johns, Harry Chiling, and obxeyeguy will be giving, or sharing experience and knowledge at the first annual FezzJohns, *Un-Expo*! I bet the *classes* will be worth every cent....and more!

PS. I am sure glad that I signed on and am going to the event!!!

Let the learning begin!!!!!!
    Hope you didn't pay much, so I can make it worth your while to attend.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Don't you been dune readin' my posts on "Continuing Education" for the "Optical" industry.
    What's new?
    Don't you know today's Optician is a saleman with no other tallent than pushing the latest and greatest?

Welcome to today's world. What you want someone to tell you how to repair a frame, or tell you what bridge designs fit certian nose shapes, or what types of temples fit certian ears?

Why the very idea, you heretic.

Haven't you notice how many more hits and posts are going to the "Optician Appearance" post.

It's only important that one appear "professional." What you can do with your hands, eyes and mind are only of minimat importance!

Chip
    Its a good thing I have great body. Silly me for thinking.

Sharpstick

Thread Information