Thread: Autograph II and Zeiss Individual: Lab Choices?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Autograph II and Zeiss Individual: Lab Choices?

I am very interested in testing the Autograph II and new Zeiss Indiviual and have both my new RX and coupons in hand but I need to know some labs that processes these lens.

We also sell Lindberg frames and I don't want to go through the process to train another lab how to make lenses for Lindbergs as they are tricky to get perfect.

So is there a lab with Lindberg experience that offers either of these lenses?

Thanks
    Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I would vote for:

Autograph II

Pech Optical

http://www.pechoptical.com/content.asp?ID=32

Contact a fellow Optiboarder, Kevin W, he works for Pech and will be able to tell you all about the Magical MEI Edger and its capabilities!

Also:

Autograph II

US Optical

http://www.usoptical.com/

Contact a fellow Optiboarder, Dave Metzger, he works for them and can tell you if they can do the Lindbergh mounting!

Best of luck!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpstick777 View Post
    I am very interested in testing the Autograph II and new Zeiss Indiviual
    Thanks
    Sharpstick

I wonder what is so new about the Zeiss Individual, besides new marketing! I believe this lens was released in 2003?

http://www.optiboard.com/forums/show...ght=individual
    Last edited by Fezz; 01-30-2009 at 03:49 PM.

Occupation
    The lab I work for processes both the Autograph II and the Individual in house. We are also able to process Lindberg frames and have an MEI on premises. You can call me for more info at (866) 569-8800. The lab name is Perfect Optics.

Regards,

Lori Deen

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I wonder what is so new about the Zeiss Individual, besides new marketing! I believe this lens was released in 2003?

Same name, new lens... from what I am told. Will follow up when I get mine back.

Thanks

Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks Sharpie!

Please keep us posted. I sure would love to know what is so new about that Individual. Maybe Darryl will cruise by and enlighten me!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

Wave

The Zeiss individual lens did come out back some where around 2003. When it first came out it had to be ordered from Germany and took 3-4 weeks got us labs to get back. When they relaunched it this year it is still the same lens and the only difference is that it is done here in the USA. The few people that i know that have tried this lens have said that it is ok, but not their favorite. The Autograph 2 lens, I have had a lot of people tell me that they forget that they are wearing a progressive lens at all!! The autograph does come in a lot more material options that the Individual does, but if you are doing a Lindberg frame, obviously trivex or high index would be your best choice. Pech optical is able to Lindberg drill mounts. Please let me know if you do not have an account with Pech optical and I can get you our phone number and set up an account with us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by pechsp View Post
    The Zeiss individual lens did come out back some where around 2003. When it first came out it had to be ordered from Germany and took 3-4 weeks got us labs to get back.
    I thought that it was processed here in the USA even then. My understanding was that Vision Systems of Virginia was doing it for them. I may be way off base though, it has been a while, and many ales!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    Well you know it is Friday at 5 and it has been a long week here at the lab and I could be wrong as well. All I know is that they are processed here in the USA now at 3 independent labs. However the Autograph is more readily available

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have to say we use Rite Style Optical for our Autograph II lens (don't know if they do the zeiss lens or not). They do it in house and turn around time is great. We've sent them numerous "custom" drill mounts, POF, etc, and they do a great job of it.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You are partially correct!

I thought that it was processed here in the USA even then. My understanding was that Vision Systems of Virginia was doing it for them. I may be way off base though, it has been a while, and many ales!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D
    I was ordering them from Zeiss in the US and it was a disaster!!!!! It was quicker to get decent lenses from GErmany, that is why they shut down the US. I think Zeiss was actually processing them when it owned Vision Systems.

I just got my first progressive and the Unique works great, I am ordering an Autograph II Attitude in NXT polarized as soon as Shamir can process it.
    We use both the Kodak Unique and the Autograph products with no patient or staff able to tell the difference; they both work very well.

Just use free form to ensure your patients see as well as possible.

Craig

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lpdeen View Post
    The lab I work for processes both the Autograph II and the Individual in house. We are also able to process Lindberg frames and have an MEI on premises. You can call me for more info at (866) 569-8800. The lab name is Perfect Optics.

Regards,

Lori Deen
    Lori,
    Do you also process VSP Signature? Could you PM with a price on the Autograph II in Cr-39 (cut and edged)?

Thanks
    Van

Occupation
    Van,

We are a VSP contract lab and do process VSP Signature, I will contact you to give you pricing.

Lori

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I believe they were made in Kentucky and not here in Chester.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    We use both the Kodak Unique and the Autograph products with no patient or staff able to tell the difference; they both work very well.

Just use free form to ensure your patients see as well as possible.
    Craig, our experiences are similar to yours. We find ourselves doing mostly Unique's because they've got the turnaround under 5 days and our price point is fabulous.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I actual saw the first lenses being done in the US- It was at Virgina and it was a mess. Great product when the equipment worked. Problem is it took to long. The orginal Individual was surfaced on the front and back. They would cut the front, polish, unblock, reblock and cut the back, polish with a lap tool and if it made it all the way, it went to AR.

The new one uses a spherical blank or puck as some call it. They cut it on a newer digital generator and polish with a sponge. The process is the same for the Autograph II. They just use different software and a different puck. I think they have a different sponges as well.

I have had success with both- I think the individual is a little better design from the customer responses I see, but the Auto has more materials availible.

The Individual also has more Point of Sale material. We offer both for those reasons.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never used the Autograph II. I tried the Autograph out on a few patients and didn't get great responses. I am interested in trying the new Autograph II after reading about it on this board.

What is the best AR I can use on it? What is the fitting height? What materials does it come in?

Thanks!

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I've never used the Autograph II. I tried the Autograph out on a few patients and didn't get great responses. I am interested in trying the new Autograph II after reading about it on this board.

What is the best AR I can use on it? What is the fitting height? What materials does it come in?

Thanks!
    I think most labs are using either in-house AR or Zeiss coatings on the Auto II.

You can fit the Auto II Variable down to an 11 with a full 5mm reading circle. It works good for FT converts but not much else at this height. I have had good success fitting from 15 and up.

It is available in CR, poly, Trivex, 1.6, 1.67, as well as most of the photochromic and polarized options for those materials.

I have heard that they will have 1.74 (not the Essilor version) available sometime this year.
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post

Thanks!
    Drivewear!
    1.67 Polarized!
    1.60!
    Trivex!
    Trivex Trans!

PS!!! DOH!!!!! bob_f-aboc beat me to it!!!
    Last edited by Fezz; 02-19-2009 at 12:58 PM. Reason: Foiled again!

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Drivewear!
    1.67 Polarized!
    1.60!
    Trivex!
    Trivex Trans!

PS!!! DOH!!!!! bob_f-aboc beat me to it!!!

You snooze you lose!

Although I forgot about the Drivewear lenses.

:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Inividual is new since November

Our Zeiss rep was just in and said the NEW INDIVIDUAL was a WOW over the HDV. It has been out a couple of months.

Thread Information