Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Age old ..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sandeep:
    Obviously its not Punjabi you're speaking-- what is it? Would like to know more! We have mainly people from the Punjab here but I do know there's other languages spoken as well.

Perhaps we could continue this discussion in the 'Just Conversation' section of the board as this has gotten just slightly off the technical topic now!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Glass in India

I've dealt with Indian clients in Jersey City for 20 years. I never had a nasty one either.

I've also never seen a plastic lens or a sphero-cylinder. TK's were 25 mm round segs, and my favorite, an executive bifocal with the seg on the ocular side!!!!!
    Money carefully refunded

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Re: Glass in India

Originally posted by Dave Metzger
    I've dealt with Indian clients in Jersey City for 20 years. I never had a nasty one either.

I've also never seen a plastic lens or a sphero-cylinder. TK's were 25 mm round segs, and my favorite, an executive bifocal with the seg on the ocular side!!!!!
    You are right Dave! That's what most 95% of India uses.
    Can some body imagine the vast scope for improvement here?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question respect

Sandeep, i have a great many Indian patients. Some of them are a very religious type who have a red dot on thier forehead. I was once told by a good indian friend of mine, a mr patel, that whenever you ran across that situation, that you were never to touch them, but it was better to hand them the glasses or put them in front. He also told me as a sign of respect to put your hands together and say something in indian which i dont know how to really pronounce it, to put it here on the board. I know when i do this they seem immensly pleased. Wonder if you could enlighten all of us about this,Regards, Harry

Master OptiBoarder sandeepgoodbole's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Thumbs up Namste..

Harry, I hope this helps you..
    Well, when the red dot on Men, it's known as "Gandh", acctually, it's generally saffron coloured. When it's on a Lady, it's known as a "Kumkum" it should classically be Red only. But now a days, it may go with the Matching of the the other make ups and Dress.
    A widow will probably never use Red color.
    A Neckless of Black Beeds in Gold \ or Silver thread is a Must for a Married lady. It's name is "Mangal Sootra" The Husbands put it in the Marriage ceremony . And it stays in the Neck of the wife till her husband dies.
    The word with which we greet each other is "Namste".
    Pronounce "Nam" as in 'Num'ber "ms" as in 'mus't and te is to be pronounced by pressing the toung aginst the base of the upper teeth , and not by folding the tongue back in the roof of the mounth, as most words are pronounced in English. It shiould be soft.
    or "Namskaar" to be pronounced as Num ss car Meaning, I respect you. If the person is a Hindu, try Saying" Raamraa m"
    See an streched aa with an infinetismal pause before m It's a coloquial method since ages. I will try to attach a voice file..but that seems immpossible.. so. you have to wait to master the correct pronunciations till some body actually takes a lesson for that !
    Do not forget to join the hands just close to your own chest to go with all this Namste, Namskar and Raam Raam

Regards!
    Sandeep

Thread Information