Thread: Tell Me What You Think of This Little Venture..

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tell Me What You Think of This Little Venture..

Saw an ad last week in my local paper for licensed optician, flexible part time hours, possible partnership with no investment located about 30 minutes from me. Curiosity got the better of me so I called the number. The lady I spoke with said she and her husband were looking to start a new business and were simply tired of paying $500 for a pair of glasses. They had bought several pairs online and were very happy with them and that led them to the idea of opening an optical shop to sell inexpensive glasses. They already had rented a space, painted it, and was now ready to open accounts and purchase the necessaries. That's when they found out they needed a licensed to be there!:drop: Their idea is to be open 6 days a week, let people come in and pick out there glasses, then on they days the optician is there, have the patient COME BACK IN for measurements and such, then have the optician order the glasses. I guess if a patient comes in with a problem, they will only be able to come in for troubleshooting when the optician is there. They have no doctor and no contacts for referrals. The only means of bringing in business is advertising, walk in traffic in the emporium, and cheap prices. They have no experience in the optical business whatsoever! In other words, they don't want to pay an optician to be there full time to keep costs down so they can offer the cheaper prices. The pay is average with a cut of each pair of glasses sold. What would you tell these folks?

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by ladyoptician View Post
    saw an ad last week in my local paper for licensed optician, flexible part time hours, possible partnership with no investment located about 30 minutes from me. Curiosity got the better of me so i called the number. The lady i spoke with said she and her husband were looking to start a new business and were simply tired of paying $500 for a pair of glasses. They had bought several pairs online and were very happy with them and that led them to the idea of opening an optical shop to sell inexpensive glasses. They already had rented a space, painted it, and was now ready to open accounts and purchase the necessaries. That's when they found out they needed a licensed to be there!:drop: Their idea is to be open 6 days a week, let people come in and pick out there glasses, then on they days the optician is there, have the patient come back in for measurements and such, then have the optician order the glasses. I guess if a patient comes in with a problem, they will only be able to come in for troubleshooting when the optician is there. They have no doctor and no contacts for referrals. The only means of bringing in business is advertising, walk in traffic in the emporium, and cheap prices. They have no experience in the optical business whatsoever! In other words, they don't want to pay an optician to be there full time to keep costs down so they can offer the cheaper prices. The pay is average with a cut of each pair of glasses sold. What would you tell these folks?

lol

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    No! I believe in most licensed states, that you must have a licensed optician on the premises at all times. Think this idea thru, and you will find the many flaws in it. JMHO

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I knew one guy who did that. His optician left, so for a few months he would have an optician come in twice a week for fittings. Of course, he did not last long.

And someone should tell them, you may be able to get your glasses cheap, but not cheaper than Wal-Mart. If you cannot get them cheaper, you will have a hard time to price them cheaper.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    No! I believe in most licensed states, that you must have a licensed optician on the premises at all times. Think this idea thru, and you will find the many flaws in it. JMHO
    That's what I told them. It was my understanding that "browsing only" was allowed in NC and that was it, but she said she had spoken to the board and that it was ok for them to pick a frame but not take measurements or order.......trust me, I have found MANY flaws and tried to gingerly open their eyes but they are gungho! They did state that if they didn't find an optician to participate with them, they would change to another type of store........wouldn't have any choice would they.....

Occupation
    help them change...PLEASE

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Actually, DON'T let them change. Let them find out and then explain to all their like-minded friends why this won't/didn't work.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    I knew one guy who did that. His optician left, so for a few months he would have an optician come in twice a week for fittings. Of course, he did not last long.

And someone should tell them, you may be able to get your glasses cheap, but not cheaper than Wal-Mart. If you cannot get them cheaper, you will have a hard time to price them cheaper.
    I just can't imagine that people are going to like having to come back twice even with cheap prices! I also told them with cheap prices comes cheap quality so they better be ready to deal with warranty coverage and unhappy customers. I think one reason people are ordering off the internet is because they don't have time to go pick out glasses, much less go in two times just to get them ordered. I did tell them that the only advantage they may have over Wal-Mart is that they may have a wider range of product.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ladyoptician View Post
    I just can't imagine that people are going to like having to come back twice even with cheap prices! I also told them with cheap prices comes cheap quality so they better be ready to deal with warranty coverage and unhappy customers. I think one reason people are ordering off the internet is because they don't have time to go pick out glasses, much less go in two times just to get them ordered. I did tell them that the only advantage they may have over Wal-Mart is that they may have a wider range of product.
    people don't. That is why the guy went out of business.

And for cheapness, the big thing the online dealers have is very little costs. The costs are the little children of 8 that they employ to cut the lenses, the inventory, and the edgers. No major salaries, no major breakage or repairs, no warranties, no expensive retail location ect.

These two are in for a world of hurt. Maybe they will actually develop some respect for retailers afterward.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper

They did state that if they didn't find an optician to participate with them, they would change to another type of store........wouldn't have any choice would they.....

wouldn't have any choice would they..............

We could actually spin this thread a little further, actually we should. Do you think that these people are the only ones thinking that way in an economy of 300 million ? Established opticians should plan for all possible events that could spoil their livelihood as it is at present.

When will the on-line sellers open sales kiosks or stores in shopping areas of non regulated states ? Kiosk takes orders, forwards to on-line owner or not owner lab wherever it is. On line lab processes job and sends finished job to customer or store/kiosk ? In regulated states a certified optician could be there or come in as per demand to adjust and or take measurement.

Could that be a futuristic start of a mini eyeglass emporium ? So how would you counter that ?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    When will the on-line sellers open sales kiosks or stores in shopping areas of non regulated states ? Kiosk takes orders, forwards to on-line owner or not owner lab wherever it is. On line lab processes job and sends finished job to customer or store/kiosk ? In regulated states a certified optician could be there or come in as per demand to adjust and or take measurement.

Could that be a futuristic start of a mini eyeglass emporium ? So how would you counter that ?
    It's true Chris. I has happened in other retail environments. People like to try on clothes before they buy, but that hasn't stopped online/catalog retailers from taking a HUGE dent in the clothing market. Most of our local clothiers in our town have closed down (except WM). THe only place to buy a computer in town is WM or online.
    I can imagine a kiosk with a virtual try-on system, 500,000 frames featured on-line. I wouldn't be surprised if WM is looking into doing that right now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From NC law.
    § 90‑252. Engaging in practice without license.
    Any person, firm or corporation owning, managing or conducting a store, shop or place of business and not having in its employ and on duty, during all hours in which acts constituting the business of opticianry are carried on, a licensed dispensing optician engaged in supervision of such store, office, place of business or optical establishment, or representing to the public, by means of advertisement or otherwise or by using the words, "optician, licensed optician, optical establishment, optical office, ophthalmic dispenser," or any combination of such terms within or without such store representing that the same is a legally established optical place of business duly licensed as such and managed or conducted by persons holding a dispensing optician's license, when in fact such permit is not held by such person, firm or corporation, or by some person employed by such person, firm or corporation and on the premises and in charge of such optical business, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor. (1951, c. 1089, s. 19; 1981, c. 600, s. 17; 1993, c. 539, s. 644; 1994, Ex. Sess., c. 24, s. 14(c).)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    help them change...PLEASE

I don't think I want to get that involved! I debated about sitting them down and going over all the reasons I don't think this will work, but they are convinced this is "a golden opportunity" for an optician. It's hard to shoot someone down like that! I also figured that if I get too involved, I will end up bombarded with calls wanting advice!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    ... I also figured that if I get too involved, I will end up bombarded with calls wanting advice!
    You could get involved as a consultant. Let them know that for $100/hr you will be happy to let them take you out for a meal and their education.
    Last edited by icare; 01-24-2009 at 03:27 PM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From NC law.
    According to this woman, browsing around and trying on frames and saying they want a particular one is ok based on a conversation she had with the state board.....

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    According to this woman, browsing around and trying on frames and saying they want a particular one is ok based on a conversation she had with the state board.....
    That sure is not how I read the above posted law quote. Very specific on having a licensed optician for all hours. Might work out if they called it a thrift store, or dry cleaners, but not an optical.
    optical establishment, optical office, ophthalmic dispenser," or any combination of such terms within or without such store representing that the same is a legally established optical place of business duly licensed as such and managed or conducted by persons holding a dispensing optician's license, when in fact such permit is not held by such person, firm or corporation, or by some person employed by such person, firm or corporation and on the premises and in charge of such optical business, shall be guilty of a Class 1 misdemeanor.
    Read in " on the premises". I think its pretty clear, and the person at the board is mistaken.:finger:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    That sure is not how I read the above posted law quote. Very specific on having a licensed optician for all hours. Might work out if they called it a thrift store, or dry cleaners, but not an optical.Read in " on the premises". I think its pretty clear, and the person at the board is mistaken.:finger:
    Oh, I agree. Not sure this lady understood what she was hearing. I got the impression she was hearing what she wanted to hear.....

I can tell ya this, it's not going to be MY license hanging in jeopardy there!!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    The internet clientele are not going to go to their store, they still will be the internet clientele and perceive the internet as the best deal.

Same way that a Walmart shopper will always be a Walmart shopper even if the actual Walmart prices are higher.

Train wrecks are interesting to watch from distance, just don't be too close and get hit by flying debris.

Harry

bilateral peripheral scotoma LandLord's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Run as fast as you can! Don't quit your job to work at this place for 6 months before they close down!
    Sent from my BlackBerry® wireless device

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by harry888 View Post
    The internet clientele are not going to go to their store, they still will be the internet clientele and perceive the internet as the best deal.

Same way that a Walmart shopper will always be a Walmart shopper even if the actual Walmart prices are higher.

Train wrecks are interesting to watch from distance, just don't be too close and get hit by flying debris.

Harry
    another good point

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    How is it that online "opticals" can get away with selling and dispensing glasses and contact lenses in a licensed state? In non-licensed states, I can see this type of "cheap eyeglasses" business being somewhat successful. I had thought about doing something similar a while back BUT the major difference is, I'm an Optician! I don't understand someone wanting (or being able) to do it without having some kind of optical experience.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Senorwes1 View Post
    How is it that online "opticals" can get away with selling and dispensing glasses and contact lenses in a licensed state? In non-licensed states, I can see this type of "cheap eyeglasses" business being somewhat successful. I had thought about doing something similar a while back BUT the major difference is, I'm an Optician! I don't understand someone wanting (or being able) to do it without having some kind of optical experience.
    There was a recent discussion on this. Apparently, the mailman putting a pair of glasses in your mailbox is not considered dispensing them to a patient. Go figure....

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LandLord View Post
    Run as fast as you can! Don't quit your job to work at this place for 6 months before they close down!
    Open a place as close as possible to this store.:idea:

You could also suggest they research this quixotic adventure on Optiboard!
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 01-27-2009 at 09:36 AM. Reason: another thought...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Open a place as close as possible to this store.:idea:
    An excellent idea :D :D

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Thread Information