Thread: New 2 year academic program in New England

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

New 2 year academic program in New England

The Community College of Rhode Island this fall will start a two-year program to train opticians, the first such program in Rhode Island.

http://www.projo.com/business/conten...3.1be26d5.html

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wonderful!!!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Good to hear. Is there a contact lens component?

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I had heard about that school starting up....the Franklin Institute in Boston now has company. That's 2 schools in 2 years. Maybe there is hope after all!
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great News!

I am thrilled to hear that the only state in America requiring a degree prior to licensure has a school. Much success in this endeavor!

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Warren, I had heard from Donna D (former board administrator) that the degree requirement was retired due to a lack of qualified applicants. I have not researched this and it remains unconfirmed but that is what she told me just before she retired.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

A Shame

That is indeed a shame, Harry. The only state that hady formal degree requirement. We continue to march backwards like not other "profession"! I hope this school does well, and I hope Blair is going well with Ben Franklin. We need more educational opportuities for Opticians if we ever want to really reach our potential.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A two (2)-year online opticianry program followed by a one (1)-year internship, then capped by the ABO exam??:hammer:

These are the same State officials that previously demanded a full undergraduate degree before permitting entry into opticianry studies?

Who advises these people?:hammer::hammer:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    A two (2)-year online opticianry program followed by a one (1)-year internship, then capped by the ABO exam??:hammer:

These are the same State officials that previously demanded a full undergraduate degree before permitting entry into opticianry studies?

Who advises these people?:hammer::hammer:
    It was the Rhode Island State Legislature that passed the law requiring a degree before licensing proving that you can get anything, even a ham sandwich, through the legislature. Oops, sorry, its an indictment, You can indict a ham sandwich.'

Seriously, that legislation had some unintended consequences and just illustrates how thoughtless the legislative process is. But, this new academic program probably came forth to correct the mistake. The original intent of the legislation might be met in the near future.

Once the full intent of the law - a required degree - is implemented we will probably witness an attempt to repeal it by optometry and big opticianry.

And the beat goes on!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    It was the Rhode Island State Legislature that passed the law requiring a degree before licensing proving that you can get anything, even a ham sandwich, through the legislature. Oops, sorry, its an indictment, You can indict a ham sandwich.'

Seriously, that legislation had some unintended consequences and just illustrates how thoughtless the legislative process is. But, this new academic program probably came forth to correct the mistake. The original intent of the legislation might be met in the near future.

Once the full intent of the law - a required degree - is implemented we will probably witness an attempt to repeal it by optometry and big opticianry.

And the beat goes on!
    Good enough. But my question is why a simplistic, minimum competency exam such as the ABO would be required by graduates holding a recent A.A.S degree in opticianry.
    It's like the graduate of an 18-wheel trucking school being required to pass his/her final trucking-driving test using an automatic Volkswagon. :hammer:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    Good enough. But my question is why a simplistic, minimum competency exam such as the ABO would be required by graduates holding a recent A.A.S degree in opticianry.
    It's like the graduate of an 18-wheel trucking school being required to pass his/her final trucking-driving test using an automatic Volkswagon. :hammer:
    My guess is that the requirement was written into the law by whoever proposed it. As it worked its way through committee no one bothered to question it, or it was questioned and the ABO was able to have the requirement sustained. The legislature just votes yea or nay and they typically don't know diddly squat about the details of the bill.

I think the ABO's position is that their test is the gold standard for the craft of opticianry and they can cite the fact that it is the requirement in all of the other states. The fact that the test is the only one and is bogus is on no consequence.

Thread Information