Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A note to all employees

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

A note to all employees

To All My Valued Employees,

There have been some rumblings around the office about the future of this company, and more specifically, your job. As you know, the economy has changed for the worse and presents many challenges. However, the good news is this: The economy doesn't pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is the changing political landscape in this country.

However, let me tell you some little tidbits of fact which might help you decide what is in your best interests.

First, while it is easy to spew rhetoric that casts employers against employees, you have to understand that for every business owner there is a Back Story. This back story is often neglected and overshadowed by what you see and hear. Sure, you see me park my Mercedes outside. You've seen my big home at last years Christmas party. I'm sure all these flashy icons of luxury conjure up some idealized thoughts about my life.

However, what you don't see is the BACK STORY:

I started this company 28 years ago. At that time, I lived in a 300 square foot studio apartment for 3 years. My entire living apartment was converted into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you.

My diet consisted of Ramen Pride noodles because every dollar I spent went back into this company. I drove a rusty Toyota Corolla with a defective transmission. I didn't have time to date. Often times, I stayed home on weekends, while my friend s went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business -- hard work, discipline, and sacrifice.

Meanwhile, my friends got jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a modest $50K a year and spent every dime they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. Instead of hitting the Nordstrom's for the latest hot fashion item, I was trolling through the discount store extracting any clothing item that didn't look like it was birthed in the 70's. My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into a business with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford these luxuries my friends supposedly had.

So, while you physically arrive at the office at 9am, mentally check in at about noon, and then leave at 5pm, I don't. There is no "off" button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have the freedom. I eat, and breathe this company every minute of the day. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. Every day this business is attached to my hip like a 1 year old special-needs child. You, of course, only see the fruits of that garden -- the nice house, the Mercedes, the vacations... you never realize the Back Story and the sacrifices I've made.

Now, the economy is falling apart and I, the guy that made all the right decisions and saved his money, have to bail-out all the people who didn't. The people that overspent their paychecks suddenly feel entitled to the same luxuries that I earned and sacrificed a decade of my life for.

Yes, business ownership has its benefits but the price I've paid is steep and not without wounds.

Unfortunately, the cost of running this business, and employing you, is starting to eclipse the threshold of marginal benefit and let me tell you why:

I am being taxed to death and the government thinks I don't pay enough. I have state taxes. Federal taxes. Property taxes. Sales and use taxes. Payroll taxes. Workers compensation taxes. Unemployment taxes. Taxes on taxes. I have to hire a tax man to manage all these taxes and then guess what? I have to pay taxes for employing him. Government mandates and regulations and all the accounting that goes with it, now occupy most of my time. On Oct 15th, I wrote a check to the US Treasury for $288,000 for quarterly taxes. You know what my "stimulus" check was? Zero.. Nada. Zilch.

The question I have is this: Who is stimulating the economy? Me, the guy who has provided 14 people good paying jobs and serves over 2,200,000 people per year with a flourishing business? Or, the single mother sitting at home pregnant with her fourth child waiting for her next welfare check? Obviously, government feels the latter is the economic stimulus of this country.

The fact is, if I deducted (Read: Stole) 50% of your paycheck you'd quit and you wouldn't work here. I mean, why should you? That's nuts. Who wants to get rewarded only 50% of their hard work? Well, I agree which is why your job is in jeopardy.

Here is what many of you don't understand ... to stimulate the economy you need to stimulate what runs the economy. Had suddenly government mandated to me that I didn't need to pay taxes, guess what? Instead of depositing that $288,000 into the Washington black-hole, I would have spent it, hired more employees, and generated substantial economic growth. My employees would have enjoyed the wealth of that tax cut in the form of promotions and better salaries. But you can forget it now.

When you have a comatose man on the verge of death, you don't defibrillate and shock his thumb thinking that will bring him back to life, do you? Or, do you defibrillate his heart? Business is at the heart of America and always has been. To re start it, you must stimulate it, not kill it. Suddenly, the power brokers in Washington believe the poor of America are the essential drivers of the American economic engine. Nothing could be further from the truth and this is the type of change you can keep.

So where am I going with all this?

It's quite simple.

If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I'll fire you. I'll fire your co-workers. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your SUV, and your child's future. Frankly, it isn't my problem any more.

Then, I will close this company down, move to another country, and retire. You see, I'm done. I'm done with a country that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, will be my citizenship.

So, if you lose your job, it won't be at the hands of the economy; it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country, steamrolled the constitution, and will have changed its landscape forever. If that happens, you can find me sitting on a beach, retired, and with no employees to worry about....

Signed,
    THE BOSS

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Redhot Jumper My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed

Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post

........................If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I'll fire you. I'll fire your co-workers. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your SUV, and your child's future. Frankly, it isn't my problem any more.

................................My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, will be my citizenship.

................0If that happens, you can find me sitting on a beach, retired, and with no employees to worry about....

Signed, THE BOSS

rbaker.............what you just said in your post is most probably a shot right on target, from the first sentence to the last.

It mirrors the thinking of an independent business owner.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Reminds me of a time long ago at a company I worked for. Yes, the Mercedes was parked outside, yes we had seen the big house at the Christmas party. Employees, amongst themselves (this stuff feeds on itself) had gotten the idea that they were being screwed in favor of a lavish lifestyle (I call this the UAW mentality). I had been working for the company for many years and knew full well the hard work ethics and sacrifice it took to make it happen. I knew what the boss drove before the Merced and I knew what that house looked like before the remodel. This owner was actually rather humble and extremely fair and generous to his employees. So, like your letter, something needed to be done. What was done was an all-employee meeting in which the boss and his wife (co-owner) gave the history of the company and detailed what it took to get it where it was so that there was more than one store and three employees. The wife did most of the talking as the boss was a bit embarrassed and hurt that this even needed to be done. It seemed to do the trick. I hope it does for your office also. Nothing worse than political strife within the workplace. When employees fear they are going to lose their jobs they tend to circle the wagons around themselves and start making insinuations about everything without seeing the bigger picture.

Optiboard Professional Bill West's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Amen

And all the people said, AMEN

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    As usual, another bullseye.

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Big Smile

All I can say is

THANK YOU...YOU ROCK:)

Christina

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Just keep something in mind. When that mother on welfare with four kids gets her stimulus cheque, she comes to your business and spends it. That means it is more money in your pocket. You can cut back your taxes like crazy to create jobs, but if you do not have the revenue, it will not do much.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You got GUSTO!!!

Here is to you RBaker!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Just keep something in mind. When that mother on welfare with four kids gets her stimulus cheque, she comes to your business and spends it. That means it is more money in your pocket. You can cut back your taxes like crazy to create jobs, but if you do not have the revenue, it will not do much.
    Seriously! She heads to the circuit city liquidation sale to buy a flat screen. :hammer: Her and the kids are covered by the welfare program for eyewear.:bbg:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Seriously! She heads to the circuit city liquidation sale to buy a flat screen. :hammer: Her and the kids are covered by the welfare program for eyewear.:bbg:
    So those employees who get paid from Circuit City will come to your store and buy eyewear. You have to see the big picture. She gets a $500 cheque. She goes and buys food, goodies and extras. These companies then receive that money, so they hire more employees, so these employees have money so they go and spend it, thus those companies hire more employees.

Also, I am really starting to get sick of the whole attitude that everyone on welfare is scamming the system. You know, have you guys seen what really goes on, or are you basing it on a few bad apples.

I had the privledge of spending some time in the offices for the social housing in my city. I got to see the true picture of what goes on, how people ACTUALLY spend their money and how little of it that they have, and the success stories from it. I mean we have to stop judging a person before we walk a mile in their shoes.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Not sure what this thread even remotely has to do with General Optics and Eyecare, but um. Gee. While we're resurrecting the Ronald Reagan era myth of the Welfare Queen, are we going to ignore the $700 billion in Government aid that just went to poor suffering businessmen? Is there any evidence that if business taxes were cut, that Wall Street would required any less of a bailout? Maybe if poor Bernard Madoff had received even more tax cuts over the last few years, he wouldn't have stolen billions.

The fact of the matter is that the US spends a smaller percentage of GDP on social welfare programs than in the 80's or 90's.

Here's a news flash. Your guy lost the election. Deal with it.
    RT

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

And now, back to the letter...

There have been some rumblings around the office about the future of this company, and more specifically, your job. As you know, the economy has changed for the worse and presents many challenges. However, the good news is this: The economy doesn't pose a threat to your job. What does threaten your job however, is the changing political landscape in this country.

However, let me tell you some little tidbits of fact which might help you decide what is in your best interests.

First, while it is easy to spew rhetoric that casts employers against employees, you have to understand that for every business owner there is a Back Story. This back story is often neglected and overshadowed by what you see and hear. Sure, you see me park my Mercedes outside. You've seen my big home at last years Christmas party. I'm sure all these flashy icons of luxury conjure up some idealized thoughts about my life.

However, what you don't see is the BACK STORY:

I started this company 28 years ago. At that time, I lived in a 300 square foot studio apartment for 3 years. My entire living apartment was converted into an office so I could put forth 100% effort into building a company, which by the way, would eventually employ you.

My diet consisted of Ramen Pride noodles because every dollar I spent went back into this company. I drove a rusty Toyota Corolla with a defective transmission. I didn't have time to date. Often times, I stayed home on weekends, while my friend s went out drinking and partying. In fact, I was married to my business -- hard work, discipline, and sacrifice.

Meanwhile, my friends got jobs. They worked 40 hours a week and made a modest $50K a year and spent every dime they earned. They drove flashy cars and lived in expensive homes and wore fancy designer clothes. Instead of hitting the Nordstrom's for the latest hot fashion item, I was trolling through the discount store extracting any clothing item that didn't look like it was birthed in the 70's. My friends refinanced their mortgages and lived a life of luxury. I, however, did not. I put my time, my money, and my life into a business with a vision that eventually, some day, I too, will be able to afford these luxuries my friends supposedly had.

So, while you physically arrive at the office at 9am, mentally check in at about noon, and then leave at 5pm, I don't. There is no "off" button for me. When you leave the office, you are done and you have a weekend all to yourself. I unfortunately do not have the freedom. I eat, and breathe this company every minute of the day. There is no rest. There is no weekend. There is no happy hour. Every day this business is attached to my hip like a 1 year old special-needs child. You, of course, only see the fruits of that garden -- the nice house, the Mercedes, the vacations... you never realize the Back Story and the sacrifices I've made.

Now, the economy is falling apart and I, the guy that made all the right decisions and saved his money, have to bail-out all the people who didn't. The people that overspent their paychecks suddenly feel entitled to the same luxuries that I earned and sacrificed a decade of my life for.

Yes, business ownership has its benefits but the price I've paid is steep and not without wounds.

Unfortunately, the cost of running this business, and employing you, is starting to eclipse the threshold of marginal benefit and let me tell you why:

I am being taxed to death and the government thinks I don't pay enough. I have state taxes. Federal taxes. Property taxes. Sales and use taxes. Payroll taxes. Workers compensation taxes. Unemployment taxes. Taxes on taxes. I have to hire a tax man to manage all these taxes and then guess what? I have to pay taxes for employing him. Government mandates and regulations and all the accounting that goes with it, now occupy most of my time. On Oct 15th, I wrote a check to the US Treasury for $288,000 for quarterly taxes. You know what my "stimulus" check was? Zero.. Nada. Zilch.

The question I have is this: Who is stimulating the economy? Me, the guy who has provided 14 people good paying jobs and serves over 2,200,000 people per year with a flourishing business? Or, the single mother sitting at home pregnant with her fourth child waiting for her next welfare check? Obviously, government feels the latter is the economic stimulus of this country.

The fact is, if I deducted (Read: Stole) 50% of your paycheck you'd quit and you wouldn't work here. I mean, why should you? That's nuts. Who wants to get rewarded only 50% of their hard work? Well, I agree which is why your job is in jeopardy.

Here is what many of you don't understand ... to stimulate the economy you need to stimulate what runs the economy. Had suddenly government mandated to me that I didn't need to pay taxes, guess what? Instead of depositing that $288,000 into the Washington black-hole, I would have spent it, hired more employees, and generated substantial economic growth. My employees would have enjoyed the wealth of that tax cut in the form of promotions and better salaries. But you can forget it now.

When you have a comatose man on the verge of death, you don't defibrillate and shock his thumb thinking that will bring him back to life, do you? Or, do you defibrillate his heart? Business is at the heart of America and always has been. To re start it, you must stimulate it, not kill it. Suddenly, the power brokers in Washington believe the poor of America are the essential drivers of the American economic engine. Nothing could be further from the truth and this is the type of change you can keep.

So where am I going with all this?

It's quite simple.

If any new taxes are levied on me, or my company, my reaction will be swift and simple. I'll fire you. I'll fire your co-workers. You can then plead with the government to pay for your mortgage, your SUV, and your child's future. Frankly, it isn't my problem any more.

Then, I will close this company down, move to another country, and retire. You see, I'm done. I'm done with a country that penalizes the productive and gives to the unproductive. My motivation to work and to provide jobs will be destroyed, and with it, will be my citizenship.

So, if you lose your job, it won't be at the hands of the economy; it will be at the hands of a political hurricane that swept through this country, steamrolled the constitution, and will have changed its landscape forever. If that happens, you can find me sitting on a beach, retired, and with no employees to worry about....

Signed,
    THE BOSS

It is what it is, and I think it echoes the thoughts of most business owners.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    So lower taxes on business owners - then raise minimum wages.

Easy. More money in the pockets of the people that need to spend it.
    Last edited by Uilleann; 01-19-2009 at 03:26 PM. Reason: spelling oops

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    So lower taxers on business owners - then raise minimum wages.

I haven't been around for the past few years but, don't most employees in the optical business earn at a level somewhat above minimum wage?

In the good old days, most small businesses would reinvest any tax savings in their business (hiring new employees and paying higher wages) but with the present socialist mindset that we see on this thread, why bother. Profits are a bad thing

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The problem is that many owners don't think in the same terms as the ones here on this board.

Employees cost a lot of money. More than what they get paid. Even more true if you have benefits.

So while some people would invest those tax savings into improving their business and hiring more people, many don't. Or they hire people, just at a wage of 8-9 dollars and hour that don't pay enough to be able to afford insurance or a place to live after paying for daycare.

Its called the working poor.

Then there are the major corporations that aren't being ran by the guys who created the business. They are there collecting fat checks for running businesses into the ground..

Many people I know losing their homes here bought what they thought they could afford. They were told you can do it, the payment was less than 30% of their take home, which is a criteria many financial analysts use to determine affordability. Then they are laid off, company closes, placed on a rotation of "unpaid vacation" .. hours cuts.. and all of sudden their income drops by 25% or more, and then they start hurting and having trouble.

Of course many of these people were talked into ARMs and second mortgages to pay off other debt, and various things to put them closer to that edge..

I still think instead of that money going to the banks, it should have went back to the people. Who in turn could have used it to get caught up, and reintroduced it back into the system.

$500 ain't going to do it.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    I haven't been around for the past few years but, don't most employees in the optical business earn at a level somewhat above minimum wage?

In the good old days, most small businesses would reinvest any tax savings in their business (hiring new employees and paying higher wages) but with the present socialist mindset that we see on this thread, why bother. Profits are a bad thing
    Which old days are that? I have heard the complete opposite.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In the good old days, most small businesses would reinvest any tax savings in their business (hiring new employees and paying higher wages)

that would be ideal wouldnt it?

but given your regurgitated email, the owner feels he is owed something from his past sacrifice and all his hard work... so why would he reinvest or do anything more to help out his employees that he has sacrificed so much for?

just within that "story" the owner goes from a self sacrificing person willing to do whatever it takes to succeed until he has gotten there... then its no going back.

yeah, i believe in that example he would be more then happy to give anything back to anyone.

nope

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation

Blue Jumper then raise minimum wages..................

Having had close to 100 employees in my previous business......................each time the government raised the minimum wage, there was a near revolution.

The 2or 3 apprentices on minimum wage got more, then the ones on the next pay scale also wanted more and on and on.

The raising of the minimum always ended up raising everybody's pay and consequently cost the business a lot more.

Occupation

Signed,
    THE BOSS
    It's the ultimatum that gets me, steamrolled the constitution , the ast 8 years have seen some of the most proposterous strikes at our constitution and no on eblinked an eye. The reality of the situation is that this administration is running on one premise "HOPE" rather than the last 8 which was "FEAR", I'm all for that some of the poicies will flop for sure and some will succed for sure. As an american you owe it to your president to give it a chance otherwise we are destined to fail and all you get is a I told you so at teh expense of the country.

Business taxes going up isn't a good idea for the moment, btu if dick bumps like the one in the letter really close down their businesses then someone else can step in their place and that's called opportunity. It's only gonn aget tougher and I am making my plans for the futuer as if my job were in jepordy, plan for the worst and you shoudl be OK, but I am also optimistic and see opportunities around every corner right now. I am glad this business owner is ready to giv up it's better fo him to give up then the rest of america, some of these large corporations have cheated payign taxes through every loop hole possible and it has stiffled small businesses to the point where no one can compete. I see large businesses going out of business more than the small ones RIGHT NOW. I am sure it will effect the small businesses as well, btu when the dust clears maybe we'll have more small businesses and we'll have more opportunity. Who knows what the future holds but I'm gonna ride the bull by the horns.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    Having had close to 100 employees in my previous business......................each time the government raised the minimum wage, there was a near revolution.

The 2or 3 apprentices on minimum wage got more, then the ones on the next pay scale also wanted more and on and on.

The raising of the minimum always ended up raising everybody's pay and consequently cost the business a lot more.
    You know my father came to this country and worked for a garment manufacturer large label and then suddenly the companies costs went up and they had to scale back, with fewer employees they weren't able to keep up with the work load that they had and lost a few contracts, and of course business being business they screwed the little guys that weren't buying quantity, my father bought some of the equipment from the manufacturer in their fire sale, took those contracts for those smaller vendors that couldn't purchae in volume and me and all of sudden he was in business for himself.

I watched AZ beat Philly last night and the same thing happened, a team that plays aggressive after gaining a great lead starts to play a little more conservative and try to maintainthat lead, but in doing so they allowed the competitor to catch up a bit, when they needed to they kicked it up a notch and now they are going to the Super Bowl, America is going to have to kick it up a notch on everyone businesses and individuals alike int he coming years and guess what if your not a Super Bowl caliber company then you'll have to scale back and let other get a chance to play the field. As everyone here keeps mentioning this is the land of FREEDOWM AND OPPORTUNITY, let someone else have a turn at it or bring your A game.
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Just a question

Not that it wouldn't have gone up some anyway, but is it not interesting that unemployment went even higher after the raise (again) in the min. wage?

Just a thought...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Not that it wouldn't have gone up some anyway, but is it not interesting that unemployment went even higher after the raise (again) in the min. wage?

Just a thought...
    I can only expect that it's because the "raise" was years overdue in the first place, to say nothing of the fact even at it's new level it's still not even in the same universe as the reality of a livable wage. Unless you're making an hourly of at LEAST the low to mid teens you simply can't afford housing, energy, transportation, food, etc. from week to week. If you need anything frivolous like childcare or medical/dental/vision benefits - add another 5+ per hour to be viable.

As it stands now, the Fed min wage will skyrocket to a whopping: $7.25 Next July. Although there are several states with lower allowances in the $5 range, and one (Kansas) that is barely above $2. In fairness, there are also several states with minimums in the $8 range, but that is as high as it gets. However - NONE of these wages are livable in a realistic setting.

There's been talk for years of course about minimum not keeping pace with basic inflation and cost of living increases nationwide. And so it goes. One always hopes that their medical professionals are paid enough that they can live - and most of us have put in enough of our time, effort and determination to warrant a fair amount over and above minimum wage I gather.

Interestingly enough, I have only been offered health benefits twice in my career as part of a compensation package, and both times the plans and carriers chosen were so expensive I would have had to use 20-40% of my monthly income just to pay premiums. Not really a "benefit" that was useful in any sense. :(

All that being said, I'm not sure why unemployment is higher now or if there is any direct correlation to the soon to be increase in the federal minimum wage. Perhaps things will improve on that front, but as it stands now, minimum wage is a policy joke. It simply isn't viable as a means to survive in our country.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Note: Raising the minimum wage without a tax cut is raising expense. Raising wages with a tax cut might actually be an ecconomical move as you can keep more skilled employees. No advantage to hiring McDonalds castoffs at higher wages, they are still worthless no matter what you pay them.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Perhaps things will improve on that front, but as it stands now, minimum wage is a policy joke. It simply isn't viable as a means to survive in our country.
    It would be a joke to think that minimum wage is supposed to be a living wage. I would think that a lower wage would be an incentive to get out of that situation and better themselves. I always thought that minimum wage jobs were stepping stones to better pay.

I worked minimum wage at Helriegels restaurant in Painesville, Ohio. I bussed tables and made $2.90 an hour. I hated it, and after 3 weeks, told to owner that I would quit unless he trained me to cook and help out the "chefs". He did, and I got a raise to $3.25. It was nice, and the job was better, but it was still bad enough to make me realize that I didn't want to do it for the rest of my life. (Was $6,500 supposed to be enough to support a family in 1979?)

I'm a white guy, so I couldn't qualify for the United Negro College Fund, and my parents had 7 kids, so they weren't about to pay for college. I didn't get grades good enough to get a scholarship, so I joined the service, and when I got out (there was no boot-strap program in the 80's) paid cash for my schooling. (Oh and worked a few slightly above min. wage jobs while in school)

Minimum wage a living wage, it never has been, and I hope it never will. If we pay the very least skilled of the labor pool the same wages as those of skilled workers, what incentive would there be to move up?

Bad address email on file offaxis1961's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    People on welfare should pick up trash on the side of the road. Instead of staying at home picking their noses.

Thread Information