Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Beer here! Anybody into homebrewing?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fjpod View Post
    Right now I'm drinking a Cranberry Mailbock.
    Thanks for the encouragement.
    04-24-2009, 07:13 AM
    A tad early isn't it Doc?;)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Oh-Oh... doesn't he start work at 7:oo?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    So fjpod-

How are those homebrews coming along? What is brewing, sitting in carboys, bottles, etc?

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    This thread definately got my thirst going and a new brew shop opened up near my home, so I got started. I have an octoberfest in bottles right now and a red ale in the primary fermenting. So far so good, my wife is actually contemplating a soda keg system with forced CO2 so that we can drink days after fermentation rather than waiting weeks after bottling.

Fezz,

What do you thing of the littel keg like the heinekin kegs or larger bottles, any downsides to bottling beer in larger containers?

fjpod,

Your wet yeast was it from white labs?
    1st* HTML5 Tracer Software
    1st Mac Compatible Tracer Software
    1st Linux Compatible Tracer Software

*Dave at OptiVision has a web based tracer integration package that's awesome.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    yes it was from White Labs.

The downside to using larger containers is you have to drink more beer faster...

Occupation

The downside to using larger containers is you have to drink more beer faster...
    Is that really a downside? White labs has some really good yeast, they have a really cool poster in the brew shop that I visited.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,

Great to hear that you have picked up homebrewing! If there is anything you need or have questions about, give me a shout! I assume that you are doing extract brews now? KEEP IT THAT WAY!!!! All-grain is a PAIN! Well, it can be fun and rewarding, but is still a pain! I have never tried the smaller kegs set ups. I have heard not very good things about them. They might be neat for a small get together, but even then it would seem rather silly. They are not big enough to be much use for a gathering or such, and too big for just a few brews once and a while.

Looks like the Fezz Hop-O-Rama delivery service may have to kick back in!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm now brewing at home rather than at the U-brew.I just bottled some dark beer from Coopers, I have about 2 weeks to wait for secondary fermentation and carbonation. I also put on some peach wine that is overdue for bottling, but its still just the tiniest bit cloudy, so I'm waiting a few extra days. I have tried some, its good but a bit to sweet, so I mix it with some soda water to tone down the sweetness and add some sparkle, so it becomes a wine cooler.:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    So far so good, my wife is actually contemplating a soda keg system with forced CO2 so that we can drink days after fermentation rather than waiting weeks after bottling.

Keep in mind.....that a little time mellowing and smoothing out can be a good thing.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What do you thing of the littel keg like the heinekin kegs or larger bottles, any downsides to bottling beer in larger containers?

I have bottled in all sorts of containers. Be careful with some of the larger bottles that are around. They need a different cap to fit properly. I believe they are called European Caps. I have about 6 cases with 6 bottles in each of them. I got most of them from Stoudts in Adamstown, PA. I am not sure if they bottle in them anymore or not. I also have a couple cases of the Grolsch swing top bottles to try. I have heard good things with them and will give it a shot the next time I brew a batch. Also, there are several types of caps for regular bottles as well. You can get a "standard" cap or an oxygen barrier cap. There are pluses and minuses to those as well.

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave Nelson View Post
    I also put on some peach wine that is overdue for bottling, but its still just the tiniest bit cloudy, so I'm waiting a few extra days. I have tried some, its good but a bit to sweet, so I mix it with some soda water to tone down the sweetness and add some sparkle, so it becomes a wine cooler.:cheers:
    I'll be right up :D :D

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have bottled in all sorts of containers. Be careful with some of the larger bottles that are around. They need a different cap to fit properly. I believe they are called European Caps. I have about 6 cases with 6 bottles in each of them. I got most of them from Stoudts in Adamstown, PA. I am not sure if they bottle in them anymore or not.

It appears that Stoudts is still using the big bottles for their specialty beers. They are now corking the bottles. I have seen several breweries that have started to do that as well.

http://www.stoudtsbeer.com/brewery_s...specialty.html

I am getting very thirsty!!!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    I am getting very thirsty!!!
    Already??? It isn't even coffee time yet!!!

:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Already??? It isn't even coffee time yet!!!

:cheers:
    Coffee time?

I have been up since 2:03am!

The ethiopian yirgacheffe has done its tour of duty hours ago!

I may have to call it a day soon and celebrate big cork top bottles of beer!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Coffee time?

I have been up since 2:03am!
    WHY ???

I may have to call it a day soon and celebrate big cork top bottles of beer!
    You should be working !!!!!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I understand the world supply of cork is running low, so fake corks are now becoming the norm. I was also told plastic and screw-tops are becoming more acceptable for even fine wines. Being the El-cheapo that I am, I bought a floor model corker at auction for $5 and just used it to bottle my peach wine last night. I also found an older electric corkscrew at the same auction for 1$ and its now my favorite corkscrew in the world.
    BTW, I recently saw beer cans for sale at the brew place, pull tabs and all. Seems you purchase the press to put them together. they were about 20 cents each, but have the disadvantage of not being reusable.
    Home brew in cans? What will they think of next?
    Last edited by Dave Nelson; 07-16-2009 at 12:08 PM.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yes I have been a homebrewer for many years. I like wheat beers (Belgian mainly) and do full grain mash brewing (takes a lot more effort but really worth it). You should check out Zymergy magazine put out by the American Homebrewers Association. It has lots of useful information for whatever you are brewing. And always remember their motto, "Relax, Don't worry, Have a homebrew". Gary:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    There is a Social Group called;

Beer Lovers of Optiboard

Check under the Community tab in the toolbar.

Check it out!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

The super high end alcohol that labs use come in bottles that are somehow un-recyclable and usually available for the cost of a few pizza's or such to your lab manager...

d;o)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I just started homebrewing. What kind of water does everyone use? I used filtered tapwater for my wine, but just tap water for my beer. We have excellent tap water here, but I wonder if I should be buying water, or treating water. I hate to think my beer will be substandard because I used the wrong water.

Vision Equipment OptiBoard Corporate Sponsor Leo Hadley Jr's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I just started homebrewing. What kind of water does everyone use? I used filtered tapwater for my wine, but just tap water for my beer. We have excellent tap water here, but I wonder if I should be buying water, or treating water. I hate to think my beer will be substandard because I used the wrong water.
    You should be near some cold Canadian mountain spring up there.
    Sounds great!!!
    All I have is some gator swamp water around here.
    Leo Hadley Jr
    Vision Equipment
    T: 855.776.2020

www.visionequipmentinc.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If you can drink your water, it is fine for brewing. You can get involved in treating your water to match the water profile of the beers that you are trying to make but, life is WAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYY to short for that!

You can add a teaspoon or so of a few things to help balance things a bit without too much hassle. Some beers are better with a little harder water, some a little softer water. You do have to be careful if your water is run through a water softner or conditioner.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Charlie P. would be proud!

You can add a teaspoon or so of a few things to help balance things a bit without too much hassle. Some beers are better with a little harder water, some a little softer water. You do have to be careful if your water is run through a water softner or conditioner.

I always wonder if someones palate is that good to tell the difference anyway. I think that a brewer should concentrate more on their brewing technique and trying to be able to consistently reproduce a recipe with the same results.

That can be tough. Once you can do that, I suggest changing ONE part of the recipe. Evaluate what or how that change effects the flavor, mouthfeel, or color of that recipe. Pick apart your ingredients, sub one flavoring hop for another, add more grain, change from one grain to another, add a darker grain, play with mouthfeel, change water temps, play with different strike water volumes, first wort hop, dry hop, change the yeast variety, etc. What changes took place? So, on and so on. Once you get the flow of that, then maybe {if you do not value your sanity and free-time} play with water profiles.

As Gmanlook {Gary} said:

Relax, don't worry, have a homebrew!

Occupation
    We have harder water in my area which is perfect for brewing. Apparently whatever is in the water the guy at the brew shop said many people from our town have been brewing great beers and they say the fermentation is fast. Our first batch was done fermenting in 3 days, this second one has now been a few days and it's not bubbling anymore, I'll give it another day or two to be sure but if this stays consistent I'm gonna need a heck of a lot mroe bottles and maybe a local Fezz or two. :cheers::cheers:

By the way Steve I nominate that we change the beer smiley from :cheers: to :fezz:

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have harder water in my area which is perfect for brewing. Apparently whatever is in the water the guy at the brew shop said many people from our town have been brewing great beers and they say the fermentation is fast. Our first batch was done fermenting in 3 days, this second one has now been a few days and it's not bubbling anymore, I'll give it another day or two to be sure but if this stays consistent I'm gonna need a heck of a lot mroe bottles and maybe a local Fezz or two. :cheers::cheers:

By the way Steve I nominate that we change the beer smiley from :cheers: to :fezz:

Harry, PM me for my address. I will be more than happy to take any extras off your hands.

I second the motion for the :fezz: designation!

All in favor...?
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    OK thats good to know. The next city over from me has so much chloramine in their drinking water it actually has a bleachy taste and smell. we get our water from 2 large aquafers, and it does seem like really good water. Leo, as far as your gator swamp water, Iv'e tasted some homemade brew that must have been bottled directly from your swamp.:(

Thread Information