Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please Read, Really bad news.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Please Read, Really bad news.

I have just found out that my good friend Mike Disanto has been diagnosed with stage 4 pancreatic cancer. I hope all that read this will direct some divine help his way.

I think everyone in the Optical industry has a Mike Disanto story. I can't think of a single person that has brought more to the industry.

I have heard of a fund being set up and I will write back with an update when I know or if anyone else knows please post it. His health insurance lapsed and he has none.

I'm sure he would like to hear from anyone that cares to send an e mail. He can be e mailed at lensmike@aol.com

We should set up a thread with a "Post your Mike Disanto story here" which I'm sure will give him a kick to read the additions and boost his morale.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Very, very unfortunate indeed.

My partner, who *hates* to be in a room with 0thers (aka opticians), loved to come to meetings where Mike was the speaker. I really never saw my partner laugh as much as when he heard Mike speak. He especially liked Mike's rant about how opticians think most labs are staffed with "morlocks"!

Godspeed to good health, Mike.

Barry

Occupation
    My prayers are with you Mike.
    Lee Prewitt, ABOM
    Independent Sales Representative
    AIT Industries
    224 W. James St.
    Bensenville, IL 60106
    Cell : (425) 241-1689
    Phone: (800) 729-1959, Ext 137
    Direct: (630) 274-6136
    Fax: (630) 595-1006
    www.aitindustries.com
    leep@aitindustries.com

More Than A Patternless Edger Company

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Now I See's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I really hate to hear that! He is a great speaker...The first time I heard him speak, I just about came to tears laughing! He's a great guy!

My thoughts and prayers will be with him! :)

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One of the few speakers I didn't want to walk out on. He has kept me informed and motivated as I am sure he has many. Good luck, fight hard, and LiveSTRONG!!!
    LDO, ABOC, NCLEC

Slow down everyone your moving to fast, frames can't catch you when your moving like that!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Mike taught the very first CE I ever attended nearly 20 years ago. To this day I still seek him out when ever I can.

Thomas
    Last edited by tntborden; 01-13-2009 at 04:42 PM.
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Oh my God,

I am so sorry to hear this. I have been fortunate to have attended several of his seminars here in Texas, He is so uplifting and funny, God Bless You Mike Santos, I will pray for you very hard, My Husband survived Prostate cancer, alot can be done, Hang in there and know that people love you.

Ginny in DFW Texas

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A big Texas get well from Houston too! We're thinking of you Mike!

George

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Michael

I spoke with Michael yesterday and he is in great spirits and indicates he will beat this thing. He is speaking for us in NC in a few weeks and says he will be there. He is one of the good guys and we all should have him in our prayers.

Warren

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anyone who has heard Michael speak remembers it. Prayers going his way tonight.

Gosh, that news just sucks.:(

ABO-AC, NCLE-AC, LDO-NV bob_f_aboc's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have never heard Mr. DiSanto speak in person but have loved reading his work. I will keep him and his family in my thoughts and prayers.

Get Well Soon!!!! I really want to hear you in person soon!
    A lack of planning on your part DOES NOT constitute an emergency on mine!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Get well soon, Mike!

30 years ago,I first met Mike when he was a sales rep for Bell Optical.He went on to become their technical rep when bought by Essilor. Mike became a legendary speaker at optical seminars from coast to coast.His knowledge of optics is top-rate and he always makes us laugh. Entertaining and teaching are natural to Mike.After all, Mike started out teaching high school. I sent an e-mail to Mike asking if he were coming to Perrysburg for a seminar soon.First e-mail I had sent. Turns out he did give a seminar a couple months later, comes up to greet me and kiddingly asks me to quit bombarding him with e-mail.

GREAT GUY! GET WELL!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Best story I remember

He gave a seminar, first spoke about how we spot the lenses on a Lensometer. and covering the microphone, he immitates the sound of the pins hitting the lens, anyone who's heard him knows what I mean, there wasn't a dry eye in the place, we where all laughing so hard, he also goes
    on to explain how some of us when ordering plastic lenses use the term TAP, I found my self doing this when a Pt. did not want to pay for a thinner lighter lens. Like thats gonna make a difference the lens is as thick as the material the RX is ground into, he is hilareous, I have stopped putting TAP on everything since then, and I only spot the lens once, well maybe twice. Keep em comming Mike, and I appologize for mispelling your name on my last post yesterday, it's DiSantos, not Santos, Sorry..

Ginny aka Ginster :D:D

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I've 'stuck' this thread so it stays at the top.

I'm very sorry to hear this. Mike has been such a positive force in this industry for a long time. I wish him and his family all the best

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have had the pleasure of seeing Mike once, but it is a night I won't soon forget. It was the most fun I have had at a seminar, period. While much of the information was old hat, the presentation of the material made it entertaining and engaging. Remarkable talent!

Best Wishes to you Mike, and I will keep you and yours in my thoughts and prayers!
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Great man...

...and friend. I've known Mike more years than I want to count. I've had the pleasure of having been on the NAO academy board with him, many years ago, and have been at so many conferences speaking I can't even count. Early on, I realized that his style of presenting was one that I loved. I could only wish I were half as well liked. Mike is one of my co-authors on the Advanced Opticians Tutorial. It was great to work with him on the project. When I heard about his cancer a couple of days ago, I thought...WOW. I called him and as usual, his attitude was positive. He can motivate anyone. Smart and cool to boot, what a guy.

For those of you who will get the opportunity to hear him in Greensboro, NC, in a couple of weeks, take the opportunity. You won't regret it.

I believe that if anyone can beat this, it's Mike. His positive attitude along with prayers can go a long way. You and your family will stay in my prayers. I'm positive that you can beat it.

Here's to you, Mike. :)

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation

Support Fund for Mike

I posted earlier with an update on a fund that was set up by the Opticians Association of Washington. Steve was nice enough to make this post sticky, so here is the address as a back up to the other post. Please help support Mike through this difficult time. The OAW has set up an account and will pass the proceeds along to him and you can help by sending a donation to:

Donna Hatch
    OAW
    Box 2489
    Yakima, Wa

Keep those anecdotes about Mike coming on this thread. He will be heartned by your kind responses. We love you, man!!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave I am soooo embarassed

I Misspelled The last name again while appologizing for misspelling the last name in the first place, OH NO, ok Mr. DiSanto Please except my appology and excuse my poor spelling. :hammer: :hammer:

Occupation
    I always enjoy listening to Mike - He can take a boring subject like "base curves" and make you THRILLED and sitting on the edge of your seat!

You really Rock, Mike -

May the Lord restore your health abundantly ...

(I know, not everyone thinks base curves are boring but I admit, my eyes do glaze over ...:o)

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family Mike. You're the Man!

Bad address email on file HRubin68's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I've put in a word with the big guy upstairs hoping for a speedy recovery (refuah shlema)! My family and I will keep you in our prayers!

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Mike has always been an inspiration to the optical community. You are in my prayers.

Bad address email on file ldyflsh's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

prayers and good thoughts

Whenever I'm in the need for CECs and a good laugh, I make sure I'm signed up in several of Mike's seminars. Attended 3 seminars in Vegas this year that he held...always informative and always makes me feel good about what I do for a living....you're on my prayer list Mike...

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I first met Mike when I was a timid Newbie, who was just entering the Optical world. I had him for one single CE class, and he made me realize how much FUN you could have in this business. After that I made it a point of attending his classes as often as possible. I am happy to say now I have an actual Career, and can thank him for helping make the most of it.

You are in our thoughts and prayers !!

billmdee

Occupation

Thumbs up Amen!

Amen to the comments above....I always look to see if DiSanto is teaching any classes...doesn't matter what the topic is, thats the one I sign up for.

So glad to see Vision Monday post some information on Mike this morning. Mike DiSanto is a class act! Thanks so much for your recent trips (Dec) to Charlotte, excellent as always!

Thoughts and prayers for you daily Mike.........

Thread Information