Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Consumer Sites and Links?

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Here's a useful site for both consumers and professionals alike. www.NosePads.com

The site calls itself the "Nose Pad Buyers Guide" as it details in both text and images the four main attributes of glasses node pads; nosepad mounting, sizes, materials, and shapes. The site doesn't sell nose pads, but presents "just the facts" so the user can make informed buying decisions.

Enjoy!

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Just found a new informative site:
    KnowYourEyes.com

Your Guide to Information About Eye Health

http://www.knowyoureyes.com/

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    Just tell them they will be shot on site for braking the rules,
    Then get a large Yosemetee Sam Picture and shoot em. Just my take, why give in..., Sorry todays not a good day, i'll be looking for the full moon tonight.:angry:
    Thats so funny. I once had a pt that kept bring in his child's glasses for repair. The father said I just don't know what to do with him. He doesn't take care of them. I replyed: "Beat him." Thats what my mom did, and look at my glasses they are just fine. The OD I worked for at the time just smiled. (The father knew I was joking. I would never want a child to get beaten.) no hate mail please.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    You have to first choose what type of clients you wish to have as patients. If you are going after people that want the cheapest prices you will find out that they will leave you quickly for something that is $2.00 less cost somewhere else. If you provide quality products with superior service you should do ok. Its kind of a shame though that you bring up this post expressing your concerns about low prices yet you have an anchor text backlink to WalMart

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    http://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CFR-201...sec801-410.xml

This is the link to FDA mandate for impact resistance of prescription eyewear.
    Renee Kathleen Jacobs O.D., M.A.
    Director Practice Management Depot
    www.PracticeManagementDepot.com

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Patsy View Post
    I am a dispensing optician in an upscale Optometric practice. The city is pretty much upscale as well and we have had little competition except for Wal-Mart, Target, etc. But, our population has doubled in the last 15 years and we now have a different situation.

Since the first of the year, 2 new Optical locations have opened one of which does a lot of TV and radio advertising about their pricing. They claim (as they all do) to have designer frames, one of them says they have over 2,000 frames, and low prices. I think the one I am talking about is a franchise and they are currently advertising 2 pair of progressive lens glasses with designer frames for $177.00. The other one is not of as much concern.

I have never really had a problem explaining the differences between us and Wal-Mart and most of our patients wouldn't go there anyway. But this new office is done to look like a very well stocked is in a nice location and is very nice inside. Since Iowa does not require opticians be licensed, I can't use that one.

Could I have some ideas as to what the rest of you say when presented with this situation? :hammer:Our OD's say that people just know the difference in quality, but I think sometimes it takes more explanation than that. We also are experiencing for the first time, patients ordering not only frames on line, but their whole pair of glasses. They, of course, need their PD and seg height. How do we handle this one. Since vision glasses are going as low as under $10.00! Thanks.
    Hi Patsy - I don't know if this is the right place to post a reply to your question, but we just posted a blog on our personal blog page about where customers might be able to cut costs in terms of their vision care...
    http://blog.brightonoptical.com/?p=277
    I also just wrote a blog on the differences between a small optical shop vs a large local chain.
    http://blog.brightonoptical.com/?p=288 (this blog post is not set to be published until august 8th. please check back then)
    Feel free to use either of these articles to print and hand out to customers or even to use on your own blog - just please include a link back to our blog site or our Eyeglasses Buffalo home page. Thanks.. good luck.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Have a look at the amazing blog which provides Eye Care tips: http://killeeneyecarecenter.com/blog...lthy-Eyes.aspx
    Last edited by toddchaney; 03-11-2013 at 05:34 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrumblydumpus View Post
    When I signed up there was a question about optical knowledge I had to answer to create an account.

Perhaps a couple more/harder questions might help?
    Ha, great! And I agree, that would be a fun simple screen.

However, sad as it is, even a modest optical challenge could inadvertently screen half of American opticians out of this site!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Thread Information