Thread: ABO/NCLE office

Bad address email on file fvc2020's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

ABO/NCLE office

I feel like I need to rant a bit, please be patient with me.

Not 1/2 hour ago I got off the phone with the ABO/NCLE office. I had called them to verify receipt of my renewal and to question why exactly did they close early on New Years Eve.

The first person I talked to told me that she wasn't sure my renewal was received but if they had by renewal day I was fine(per their website I was showing inactive and past due). She had no answer about why they closed early. I asked her to see if they had my renewal, she put me on hold and some guy came on the phone and basicly asked what do you want. Never caught his name and he was extemely rude. I asked again why nothing was posted about them closing early either on their website or on their voicemail. He stated they didn't need to and why didn't I do my renewal earlier.(We've been very busy and I needed to wait until money wasn't an issue) I understand that I did wait and I also understand that it was the end of their business day(it was 45 minutes before the "closed", but who decides that its a good customer service idea not to let people know what was going on. It took my IT guy five minutes to put it on our website and on our voicemail. Ours was there 3 weeks before the holiday time started(yes including Thanksgiving).

This is not the first time I have called there and they not answer their phones before closing time. We take customer service ce's regularly. We preached it and say that let people be in the know about what you're doing. I guess I'm frustrated because I have been an optician for an long time and you would think the people there would get how we work.

Just alittle venting...I am very disappointed.

christina

ps my renewal is there and it might post in 7-10 business days

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Holiday

Holidays are allowed, even for the ABO/NCLE staff. They are an outatanding group, and in my many years of experience, even if I was calling with a concern, were never unfriendly, or anything less than professional. I am sure that Mr. Roby, the Executive Director will be glads to talk to you about your complaint, if it is in fact a valid one. Give him a call.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thanks for reminding me!

I just called them. Tina was very helpful. She helped me renew my certification. I procrastinated and forgot to renew. I got whacked for the $15 late fee. No biggie, I goofed. I am *Legit* again!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Why close early on new years eve?

Hello,
    Interesting thing is happening, recently I had a patient call quite upset that we were closed Christmas Day? Why were we closing early Christmas eve? Is it me or are people expecting us to put in more and more hours and give up more and more holidays and work longer hours on days we should for obvious reasons be closing early?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't actually have a problem with people having time off..I do have a problem with customer service that says too bad for you..You don't deserve to know when we're doing something different. I think common courtsey should be expected...Like I said I just wanted to vent.

christina

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by fvc2020 View Post
    ILike I said I just wanted to vent.

christina
    Ok, you got that out of your system! Don't sweat the itsy bitsy stuff!

Hey.......................it must be 5:00 somewhere, right?

This rounds on me!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I sent them an email stating the same thing, sent renewal in Decemer, hasn't been updated what's the deal. Here is the response:

At this time of year it may take about 2 weeks before you see that on your file. Contact your bank to make sure that the check was cashed. If so, you know it is all here and just waiting to be entered.

Not a bad response but not that great either. They should know whether they have that in process or not and as it is the Doctors bank account I don't want to bother him with researching that for me since he was kind enough to pay it for me in the first place.

As far as being open on christmas day, thats just crazy.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up I'm venting too

Venting is good, I was actually just joining you in venting a bit. I agree customer service is important. cheers

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Relax

Quote Originally Posted by Myeyeonyou View Post
    I sent them an email stating the same thing, sent renewal in Decemer, hasn't been updated what's the deal. Here is the response:

At this time of year it may take about 2 weeks before you see that on your file. Contact your bank to make sure that the check was cashed. If so, you know it is all here and just waiting to be entered.

Not a bad response but not that great either. They should know whether they have that in process or not and as it is the Doctors bank account I don't want to bother him with researching that for me since he was kind enough to pay it for me in the first place.

As far as being open on christmas day, thats just crazy.
    It will come. They have people out during the holidays like everyone else, and there are thousands attempting to renew. It does take time to input them all. It may surprise you that the staff is relatively small, and the sheer number of people trying to renew is huge. It will soon be completed.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I asked again why nothing was posted about them closing early either on their website or on their voicemail.
    Even if they did, you would have still only gotten a recording. Don't really think that would have changed much in the grand scheme of things.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by wmcdonald View Post
    It will come. They have people out during the holidays like everyone else, and there are thousands attempting to renew. It does take time to input them all. It may surprise you that the staff is relatively small, and the sheer number of people trying to renew is huge. It will soon be completed.

I'm not complaining, It's easy to get backed up as we all know, I just would have liked a response that said yes we got your check and it's in process.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Considering that you sent it in during an national administration time be patient and understand that many people across the country are not only newly certified but renewing their certification. It's not like we all have different months and days, if you passed during a national administration then you'll be waiting a little longer for responses. sheesh your an optician think about the patient that incesently calls you every day and then all of a sudden you get a call from the next patient who may be really really nice and ask the saem question.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Considering that you sent it in during an national administration time be patient and understand that many people across the country are not only newly certified but renewing their certification. It's not like we all have different months and days, if you passed during a national administration then you'll be waiting a little longer for responses. sheesh your an optician think about the patient that incesently calls you every day and then all of a sudden you get a call from the next patient who may be really really nice and ask the saem question.
    I understand this however hire some temps, make it work, and a small note on a web site is nice...I know its a small office, hey I work in one but if I need help I ask for it and I warn patients when I'm doing something different.

christina

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I just called them. Tina was very helpful. She helped me renew my certification. I procrastinated and forgot to renew. I got whacked for the $15 late fee. No biggie, I goofed. I am *Legit* again!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::D

I did the same thing......

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

They're good people

I've NEVER experienced any rudeness from the ABO/NCLE staff. They're as accommodating as can be. I don't see a problem, here. Just be patient and wait.

I have a statement from someone that says...

"Procrastination on your part doesn't constitute an emergency on my part."

It all works out in the end.:) Chill.

Diane
    Anything worth doing is worth doing well.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thank God the CLSA was open to hold my hand and solve some website problems so I could get those last three courses done on line by midnight.

Chip

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've never experienced "bad" customer service from ABO/NCLE but it's never been exactly good either, just cordial. Which is fine, I guess. The only comment/suggestion I have regarding the whole organization is both exams should be given by computer (like most other national exams - ACT, SAT, MCAT, OAT, etc.) and paper (for those that still aren't comfortable with computers). If done electronically, it would give the certificants the unofficial results as soon as they finish, instead of waiting 6 to 8 weeks for results, then another 6 to 8 weeks for the actual certificates. This would free up a lot of the staff's time and allow them to be more productive with other stuff. I am glad that they have semi-updated the website and we can access our CE's. Next step, online renewal???

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Senorwes1 View Post
    This would free up a lot of the staff's time and allow them to be more productive with other stuff.
    Freeing up employees? You mean like maybe they wouldn't need as many? Maybe it would help keep costs down?

Sounds good to membership, but probably not management.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Got mine to post office on 12/31. They told me as long as it was post marked by 12/31 all was fine.

I haven't called them.... but I do know they cashed my check!!!!!!

Must have made it. :)

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    I just flat out procrastinated - sort of. Got busy, too busy so when I had a spare moment I just ignored my responsibilities. Oh well, costs me $15 but they were nice on the phone when I called....my bad!

Thread Information