Thread: Webpage templates

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Webpage templates

I wanted to know if there was a place I could get some designs for a webpage which is easy to use and manipulate. Some on the web are so difficult to understand and use that I have been put off soemwhat.
    I want to work on designing a webpage (before I lay out the $$$$ for a professional service) and would like to see how it looks before going forward.

I do need some functionality in terms of products and services offered, so it will be nice if it can give me this option.

Am I asking too much of a basic (free) webpage design?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Occupation
    Just GOOGLE "web templates" and you will find tons of templates to download. Some are free and most at less than $100.00.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    The problem is as you have said it. There is thousands of pages. I have tried a few and not really found one that is easy to use. Some are very basic, but i also want some functionality thrown in.

I just wanted to know if anyone had used a template off the web which was easy to use and had great functions to incorporate?
    It’s so simple to be wise. Just think of something stupid to say and then don’t say it.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Bad address email on file eganrem's Avatar
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    What program are you using to edit the web templates? Are you using dreamweaver, flash, frontpage, or "hand-coded" html?

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    not sure what is used. what i am trying to do is use a template to see how the website will look and feel, and then I will contact the professionals to make it work.

I am just trying to get a feel for different types of functions on webpages and which ones will suit my purpose. I am not trying to make the webpage functional for use right now. And as you can tell I am no computer/programming expert:shiner:, soI may be asking too much but just wanted to know if there was anything available (that would not cost an arm and a leg!) to play with.

Thanks for any and all advice.

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Most hosting companies have free templates available for non-programmers. Usually, they have generic graphics and elements, but you can use them to change the text and colors of webpages. Some enable you to add pictures and dynamic elements.

Godaddy, 1and1.com, Hostgator.com and many other hosting companies offer free templates and easy-to-use content management systems for beginners.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Thanks. I will look into these sites.

Your help is appreciated.

North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    http://demo.rockettheme.com/

At the very top of the webpage (middle) there is a bar. Click on that and it will show you the different templates available..there is a fee though to get the templates. I just used (hyperion) for a website I created.

This is what I did using the hyperion template. www.griffcohomes.com
    The site is not totally done but it will give you an idea of what you can do.

have fun!
    Last edited by Snitgirl; 01-08-2009 at 01:38 AM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Consumer or Non-Eyecare field
    firstly, you should understand that web template is just a layout, a skin for your future web page. This is what your website will look like; thus web templates have no functionality. You then upload this skin to your webhost, edit and change various elements and enjoy the ready website.

Googling for web templates, you will of course find tons of professional and pretty nice templates. In case you are not that good in this industry (and I assume you are not ;) ) I can recommend www.flashmint.com (its been almost a year I am using their products). Their prices are relatively fair comparing to other providers, and what is most appealing is their support team (answering your questions and guiding through some issues). Have a look at health templates

Another point is templates customization services - you may find someone who will make all the necessary changes for you (texts, images, logo, contact info, etc)

As for the free templates, I personally do not фзздн into them, since they are usualy only look good but poor coded and you are then spending too much time and efforts trying to get at least something decent.

Oh, seems like a huge post here :D

Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    For testing purposes, I use a free webhost, which gives you a small amount of bandwidth but lets you try out a variety of features for free.

000webhost.com is the website, and it is a free service.

Login to your control panel, and click on "Website Builder" under the "Software/Services" area.

There are more sophisticated options and content management systems available under "Fantastico Autoinstaller", but modifying some of those templates requires a bit of programming knowledge. Joomla and Wordpress are probably the easiest ones of those to manage and modify.

Good luck!

Thread Information