Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Salaries

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused Salaries

What is the going pay rate for parttime employees(ABO Certified but not NC Licensed) in North Carolina.

Thanks
    Sunny

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Much too broad an inquiry. Simple supply and demand will prevail. Lots of qualified people, too few jobs = low pay.

What I might pay here, with a very limited pool of competent candidates, might be more than in Wilmington, Raleigh.

Part time taking the less desirable hours (evenings, Sundays) should command more $$.
    JMHO

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

"Frame Stylist" pay in NC

Sunny, the position you have described is that of an optical salesperson or "frame stylist." The pay rate depends on the Brand, store's volume, individual sales skills and knowledge, I have heard that starting pay is between $8-10, plus any commissions (if any, depending on if the store reaches goal). I need a help on Saturdays, if you or anyone else is interested. I am a new manager and will learn the corporate details with my first new hire. I will do my best to get what you deserve:). Kris, 704-795-4225.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by OptiStudent View Post
    Sunny, the position you have described is that of an optical salesperson or "frame stylist." The pay rate depends on the Brand, store's volume, individual sales skills and knowledge, I have heard that starting pay is between $8-10, plus any commissions (if any, depending on if the store reaches goal). I need a help on Saturdays, if you or anyone else is interested. I am a new manager and will learn the corporate details with my first new hire. I will do my best to get what you deserve:). Kris, 704-795-4225.
    For 8-10 bucks an hour, you expect knowledge?? My receptionist makes more than that. Gotta love corporate.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    For 8-10 bucks an hour, you expect knowledge?? My receptionist makes more than that. Gotta love corporate.

High school kid that works for me gets more, too (but she's smart :D ).

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by sunnync View Post
    what is the going pay rate for parttime employees(abo certified but not nc licensed) in north carolina.

Thanks
    sunny

Banned
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by nydia View Post
    Not hardly. This is why the industry is going to pot. ODs are taking over the dispensaries. There is hardly any independent Opticians in NC anymore. The ODs want to pay someone $8 per hour to screen patients, answer the phone, fit and dispense glasses and run the edger. It you get your license you are gone. Find another profession before you have too much time invested in th optical indutry.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by gemstone View Post
    Not hardly. This is why the industry is going to pot. ODs are taking over the dispensaries. There is hardly any independent Opticians in NC anymore. The ODs want to pay someone $8 per hour to screen patients, answer the phone, fit and dispense glasses and run the edger. It you get your license you are gone. Find another profession before you have too much time invested in th optical indutry.
    Same here.

Here is what is happening:

• It is illegal for an Optician and OD to work out of the same dispensary
    • It is illegal, in an Optician owned dispensary, for a non-optician to dispense (and yes, you have to be licensed)
    • It is legal for a non-optician to dispense if the practice is owned by a OD.

So one has to pay $20 an hour, the other can pay $8.75 an hour.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave pay

I live in virginia and first time optical sales personal start at 9.50 an hour plus commision and a slow week the make about 350.00 to 400 a week I Don't make commision I'm licensed optician and I make really good money.How many years have yOu been on the job? LET ME KNOW NYDIA

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I can't ......I want to but......

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

:cheers::cheers::angry::cheers::shiner:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Welcome to the real world. I have said the very same thing for years only to be shot down by a couple of OD's in CA who pay there employees around 20 dollars per while they don't mentioning the cost of living is a lot more in CA then almost anywhere except NYC.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by nydia View Post
    I live in virginia and first time optical sales personal start at 9.50 an hour plus commision and a slow week the make about 350.00 to 400 a week I Don't make commision I'm licensed optician and I make really good money.How many years have yOu been on the job? LET ME KNOW NYDIA

Where do you work? I have twenty years experience in management I will run down now to except a job offer. Come on get real!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    Where do you work? I have twenty years experience in management I will run down now to except a job offer. Come on get real!
    First off, that would be accept a job offer. Second, they don't usually find you, you need to find them.:idea:

You guys in NY seem to only bi##h about how tough things are there, how your license means nothing, do what I did and leave.:p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by jediron1 View Post
    I am also in management I work for great company we have 34 locations in the D.C area called My Eye Dr.This company takes good care of the employees I would not trade it for anything,check it out!By the way I have 22 yrs in and working for the same doctor.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    First off, that would be accept a job offer. Second, they don't usually find you, you need to find them.:idea:

You guys in NY seem to only bi##h about how tough things are there, how your license means nothing, do what I did and leave.:p

WOW! I hope you have a nice New Year too!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Newyorkoptician View Post
    WOW! I hope you have a nice New Year too!

Thanks NY. But I don't get upset with diatribe like this I know where it's coming from and all you have to do is consider the source.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Nydia is working for My Eye Dr, so she's probably in Northern Virginia, also a very expensive place to live, so incomes will often, but not always, reflect that fact. Is it possible for SunnyNC to get a simple and civil answer to a question?

Occupation
    Using Charlotte, NC 28241 as the area you live, and using Salary.com to find the rate of pay, there is no job title for opticians assistant or frame stylist as these are ficticious positions so I used a medical assistant since optometric assitant isn't in there either.

Medical Assistant (0 schooling) = $27,000
    Dentists Assistant (1-2yr schooling) = $33,000
    Licensed NC Optician (2yr schooling) = $41,000
    Certified Ophthalmic Technician (2yr schooling) = $42,000
    Teacher (6yr schooling) = $51,000
    Optometrist (8yr schooling) = $108,000
    Dentists (8yr schooling) = $138,000
    Ophthalmologist (10yr schooling) = $266,000

Hope that helps.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Nydia is working for My Eye Dr, so she's probably in Northern Virginia, also a very expensive place to live, so incomes will often, but not always, reflect that fact. Is it possible for SunnyNC to get a simple and civil answer to a question?

I guess you would have to talk to the person from SunnyNC.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Judy Canty View Post
    Is it possible for SunnyNC to get a simple and civil answer to a question?
    I would have to say "no", it's not possible.

It's almost like asking someone how much lunch cost in NYC.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Newyorkoptician View Post
    I guess you would have to talk to the person from SunnyNC.
    SunnyNC asked the group a question. A very broad question with no real good answer.

SunnyNC got a grammar lesson, a rant on OD's and only a single attempt to provide information.

Is it possible to answer a question without going into rant mode? For some of us, apparantly not.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

It was even worse...

! actually know of a case of a licensed Optician in 2005 from another state , that had years of experience. She was only offered $5.75 /hr before she got licensed in North Carolina!

Serrata

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist

Hmmm

I love how so many on here blame ODs. I think you could better thank commercial chains, internet low ballers, and tanking reimbursements.

You could thank ODs who charge ridiculously low fees, work for commercial joints, and the new schools that are going to make the oversupply worse but that is about it.

Why do you all think ODs are the big greedy bad guy? We already average less income than similarly trained professionals as it is. Where is all this money we are hoarding? Can a private OD pay $20 an hour plus benefits when wally world is paying $8 with no benefits?

Actually, concerning Harry's data, ODs in NC are some of the highest earning in the country since the state intentionally keeps the supply low. I usually hear ODs are around 100-110k while dentists are around $190k.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    wally world is paying $8 with no benefits?
    Uh, WM does offer benefits that start on the first day of work. Better benefits are available after 12 months of employment.

I have 1 associate that makes little over $9.00 an hour and thats with less than 1 year experience.

I agree that OD's hire non-experienced people to fit glasses so they can save bunches of $$$. But I wonder what their remakes cost them each year.

Depending on the employer, I'm guessing Sunny could make $10 an hour if not more, just depends on the employer and the area. Just my 2 cents.

Thread Information