Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2008 top opticianry scholar in each field?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused 2008 top opticianry scholar in each field?

Anybody can tell who are the 2008 top opticianry scholars/professors among the U.S. & Canadian opticians in the following field?
    You may show your opinion...
    Some opticians indicated.... as 2008 top opticianry scholar among the best opticians ....

* In all aspects in opticianry:
    Jacky (Grandma), Fezz who loves Edgar Allen Poe
    Borosky (recommended by sinner Johns), HarryChiling, wmcdonald

1. Ophthalmic optics
    Darryl Meister, hand down. He's put together a program that incorporates many disciplines of ophthalmic optics. It's in the downloads section.

If we went outside the country and outside juts the year, I woud have to say Mo Jalie, his work is comprehensive and encompases way more than just arcs and refraction.
    2. Lens Finishing
    3. Lens surfacing
    4. Frame design
    Klaus Seybock (sp?), Canadian optician I have the details written down here somewhere, he gave a lecture on frame making that was not only informative but showed steps involved.
    5. Lens casting & moulding
    6. dispensing
    I would have to say Barry Santini, for better or for worst his name appeared in the national news twice this year for dispensing.

7. dispensing equipment
    8. Refractometry & vision assess
    William
    9. optical business
    Johns, the guy making the funny jokes here. :p He has a small chain of opticals and runs his business by the golden rule. I would say it's definately the gold standard and where I pick up a lot of business tidbits in 2008 from.
    10. contact lenses
    11. New opticianry products & invention
    12. New opticianry technology

Thanks.
    Last edited by eoptics; 01-10-2009 at 02:56 PM.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    That would be hard, since most of us think we are the best in our fields.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Hi Jacqui...
    But even if most of you think like that, can you tell the names(better with the reasons) by each field?
    We - opticians - need a standard index for the future... I think...
    Thanks.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper you should check all the professional publications.........

Quote Originally Posted by eoptics View Post
    Anybody can tell who are the 2008 top opticianry scholars/professors among the U.S. & Canadian opticians in the following field?
    You may show your opinion...
    Maybe you should check all the professional publications who once in a while publish results from professional associations who choose their best or think they are the best. This can also be very political.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    This can also be very political.

VERY, VERY
    political !!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post

So true, see.....most of you -T-H-I-N-K- that you are the best in your field. But, I -K-N-O-W- that I am the best!

:cheers::cheers:;):cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    So true, see.....most of you -T-H-I-N-K- that you are the best in your field. But, I -K-N-O-W- that I am the best!

Would that be the field of Beerology? :cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post

LOL!!!

No, no, no.....that honor goes to the late Michael Jackson (not the white glove and no nose guy either)!

I still need some major practice to hit that level.........so I'll keep practicing!!

;):cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post

Only from the mind of Fezz :finger:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Ginster View Post
    Probably :D :D

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

It may be political. But for me, not at all.
    We may need optical industrial & educational indices for the development of opticianry.

Upto now, we talked about our worrying points but not feasable measurments including internet optical business, Lasik, vision check....

Who will put a jingle on the neck of cat? Only talk no action.

If we have optical indices, every resources would be collected around the standards.

Is it reasonable?

Please know I am not a politican but an optician who hopes to contribute my knowledge and skills to the optical society as long as I can.....

Just I want to know who is the best during 2008.
    Does anybody tells me about it?:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=eoptics;277825]It may be political. But for me, not at all.
    We may need optical industrial & educational indices for the development of opticianry... if we have optical indices, every resources would be collected around the standards. Is it reasonable? /quote]

N-O!!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Confused

[quote=tmorse;277845]
    We may need optical industrial & educational indices for the development of opticianry... if we have optical indices, every resources would be collected around the standards. Is it reasonable? /quote]

N-O!!
    Hi, TMORSE~!
    Would you... could you tell me the reason? Please...I want to know very much....

:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Important!

Not only is some standardization necessary, it is extremely important if Opticianry hopes to advance. Education is the way other professions have developed, and it is a path we must model to gain acceptance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wave

Think about it!
    If we don't have any standard, we may not think about the improvement.
    Whenever we measure the better or the worse, we start from a certain standard. The standard should be reflected the best in both current situation as well as the desirable direction.

Still, unreasonable? Friends!:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Anybody can tell who are the 2008 top opticianry scholars/professors among the U.S. & Canadian opticians in the following field? You may show your opinion...
    N-O!! Why?

As Jacqui has already stated... it could only become "very,very political".

You offer no reasonable criteria as to what will will constitute "top" anything.
    And "your opinion"?? based on what??? on what they read here on Optiboard??

Very 'unreasonable' question, IMHO.:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ok, I'll go out on a limb here...

In all aspects of opticianry...

Borosky?

:bbg:

(Sorry, I know you guys are trying to keep this serious, but you're just not going to get any other names...)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper

eoptics;..................The only way to get some results in this case on OptiBoard would be for you to start a poll, by proposing some people you want to promote, and have members vote yes or no.

But also this will probably fail, because even on a poll you will get not more than 20 answers in 10 days. I have a poll going for about 10 days on the "For Professionals Only" and got "Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You have already voted on this poll" as an answer.

So you are back to publications and associations to give you the top people they chose. Publications will lean to wards their top advertisers and associations will choose on the advice of their biggest donors.

So now that we have defined that, it boils down to who has the greatest influence and the strongest Dollar or Euro.

Example: The OLA has nominated some optical lab websites as the best, and when you check their traffic rankings by Google, Alexa and Quantrast they rank very low in the list. So they were judged by the good looks not by the amount of people they attract.
    This is like the good looking Blondie women, that is the origin of Blondie jokes.

We - opticians - need a standard index for the future... I think...
    The large corporations are taking over more and more, we know that, and once they have reached their goal they will issue the standards which you will have to follow or you will get no supplies or at the best at a much inflated price.

They use the best machines and hire the biggest brains to bring the public the products they want at the price they want to pay, because they supply the quality oriented opticians as well as the on-line seller that are starting make an impact on the market.

I believe that your question is fair and well intended but will go nowhere as nominations would have been submitted by a crowd of anonymous forum members.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Chris Ryser View Post
    eoptics;..................The only way to get some results in this case on OptiBoard would be for you to start a poll, by proposing some people you want to promote, and have members vote yes or no.

But also this will probably fail, because even on a poll you will get not more than 20 answers in 10 days. I have a poll going for about 10 days on the "For Professionals Only" and got "Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 11. You have already voted on this poll" as an answer.

So you are back to publications and associations to give you the top people they chose. Publications will lean to wards their top advertisers and associations will choose on the advice of their biggest donors.

So now that we have defined that, it boils down to who has the greatest influence and the strongest Dollar or Euro.

Example: The OLA has nominated some optical lab websites as the best, and when you check their traffic rankings by Google, Alexa and Quantrast they rank very low in the list. So they were judged by the good looks not by the amount of people they attract.
    This is like the good looking Blondie women, that is the origin of Blondie jokes.

The large corporations are taking over more and more, we know that, and once they have reached their goal they will issue the standards which you will have to follow or you will get no supplies or at the best at a much inflated price.

They use the best machines and hire the biggest brains to bring the public the products they want at the price they want to pay, because they supply the quality oriented opticians as well as the on-line seller that are starting make an impact on the market.

I believe that your question is fair and well intended but will go nowhere as nominations would have been submitted by a crowd of anonymous forum members.
    Well, that about sums it up....great post!:cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by renee1111 View Post
    Well, that about sums it up....great post!:cheers:

Yup :)

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    1. Ophthalmic optics
    Darryl Meister, hand down. He's put together a program that incorporates many disciplines of ophthalmic optics. It's in the downloads section.

If we went outside the country and outside juts the year, I woud have to say Mo Jalie, his work is comprehensive and encompases way more than just arcs and refraction.

6. dispensing
    I would have to say Barry Santini, for better or for worst his name appeared in the national news twice this year for dispensing.

4. Frame design
    Klaus Seybock (sp?), Canadian optician I have the details written down here somewhere, he gave a lecture on frame making that was not only informative but showed steps involved.

9. optical business
    Johns, the guy making the funny jokes here. :p He has a small chain of opticals and runs his business by the golden rule. I would say it's definately the gold standard and where I pick up a lot of business tidbits in 2008 from.

8. Refractometry & vision assess
    Dr Warren McDonald, is spaning the country teaching his intro to refractometry (basics steps of refraction) also colaborated with an institution to bring distance learning to states in the US that do not have feasable programs in opticianry.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Awesome list Harry!

I'll second it!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We may need optical industrial & educational indices for the development of opticianry...

Who will put a jingle on the neck of cat? Only talk no action.

If we have optical indices, every resources would be collected around the standards. Is it reasonable?
    So what have you accomplished?? Is Darryl's masterful level of optical knowledge to be the new standard for optician education??

No... I reiterate, N-O!! Not reasonable, no matter how you dress it up.:hammer:

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Harry:

Although I appreciate the mention, why the *...worse....*?

Barry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post

Dr Warren McDonald, is spaning the country teaching his intro to refractometry (basics steps of refraction) also colaborated with an institution to bring distance learning to states in the US that do not have feasable programs in opticianry.
    Harry~ Your comments are awesome!!! :cheers::D

Thread Information