Is anyone else involved in an outdoors club? I used to belong to one, and always found it so amazingly easy and affordable to anyone.
If you have any interest in outdoor activities, for example, but don't know where to start, these clubs, at least many of them work like this:

At monthly meetings, upcoming trips for the month are listed, they can be anything from day hikes for novices to multi-day kayak expeditions for experienced paddlers. The time, distance, duration, fitness and experience levels are listed for each trip, as well as the general qualifications of the trip leader.
You can expect some instruction during most of these trips, and can sign up for more experienced level trips as you gain experience and skills. You can also vary your itinerary, so if you are a highly experienced mountain biker, you can sign up for say, a novice level backpacking trek, or a mountaineering trip.
You can sign up for as many or as few trips as you like, and other than possible trip expenditures, there is no charge beyond the $100 or so per year membership fees. Meet people, share the outdoors, receive free instruction in a dozen outdoor activities, and keep busy on weekends enjoying the outdoors... all for little cash (wer'e opticians remember)...when I signed up I thought it was to good to be true...but it was true, and even better than I thought. Check an outdoor store in your area for a contact for the nearest club if you have any interest.