Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Quality frames..Do they exist?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [QUOTE=himmeroo;429222]try on a pair of Morel OGI men's frames.You can just feel the quality

Youre a waste of paper!!!
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    We put them in from expo, and we live in fairly low income sort of remote area and we've sol through half of our eighteen buy in! They've gone really well, seriously the first one I sold was to a twelve year old kid. Mom picked it up, said this feels sturdy and didn't bat an eye at the price point so don't let hat stop you
    Seriously? mom bout a 12 year old a +$350 frame? I mean I have some that do it with Nike, but it's because they know the name "Nike" not the Scandinavian Oga.

My area isn't a low income area, but I sure do have some cheap people walk in which is why I'm fearful of getting them in. Maybe I should just say screw it and do it.
    Last edited by J.P.; 06-27-2012 at 03:38 PM. Reason: correct myself
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    awesome scrumbly. someone else that has noticed that it's the quality of the metal & quality solder points that keeps a hinge in one piece, not a silly problematic spring.

hinges break because the spring goes pop goes the weasel.

spring hinges help when over flexed in the 180 degree plane. When hinges really break it's when they have been sat on etc. , & they have been over-flexed in the 90 plane, which the spring does not help.

just my thoughts tho
    Last edited by spectaclegal; 06-27-2012 at 05:25 PM. Reason: addition

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I could care less if I never saw another spring hinge in my life...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by J.P. View Post
    Seriously? mom bout a 12 year old a +$350 frame? I mean I have some that do it with Nike, but it's because they know the name "Nike" not the Scandinavian Oga.

My area isn't a low income area, but I sure do have some cheap people walk in which is why I'm fearful of getting them in. Maybe I should just say screw it and do it.
    i was amazed haha ... but they really do seem to hold up pretty well :) they just feel good, we're going to bring in the koali line when we see our rep again
    "what i need is a strong drink and a peer group." ... Douglas Adams - Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by becc971 View Post
    i was amazed haha ... but they really do seem to hold up pretty well :) they just feel good, we're going to bring in the koali line when we see our rep again

Well let me know how that line does too, I need to meet with my docs and let them know about the line Oga and convince them to get it in
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak out and remove all doubt.
    ~ Mark Twain ~

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by FVCCHRIS View Post
    I agree- How 'bout it Fezz? Did they ever show? Perhaps waiting on a backorder?

YES!!!!!!!

Doug from Sutro Vision did send me samples to have evaluated and discussed at Un-Expo. The product is very well made, durable, and innovative. It was well received by all of us in attendance.

They stepped up..........not aside!

Neat stuff....check them out!

http://www.sutrovision.com/

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Holy old thread. Thanks for the plug Fezz. We've always aspired to be neat!!

In regards to hinges. I think there are a lot of goofy "innovations" out there. We designed our hinge for pure functionality. Light spring fit, wont lose screws and we think is the strongest on the market. To that we offer a lifetime warranty on our hinges.

Sold out of current optical collection with a new one coming in fall. tks

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Quality frame lines.

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    The title says it all. Do they exist?

If you had to name the 3 highest quality frame lines, what would they be?

Come on Barry.........I bet even you can name one!
    In my opinion having worked at some very high-end optical shops, I would say Lindberg, Face a Face, I.C. Berlin, Mykita, Pro Design, Chrome Hearts, Newer Gold and Wood and Cartier. To narrow it down to my 3 all time favorites................Lindberg, Chrome Hearts and Newer Gold and Wood.
    You guys claiming the Lux products to be high quality really need to get out and explore more. Lux offers low quality mass produced junk for the most part. This is our job, to explore the options and find the best products for our patients. They come to us because they need guidance not so we can sell them the the cheapest thing with the highest mark up.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Redhot Jumper Do you really want to make the world believe

Quote Originally Posted by Ed The Eye Guy View Post

You guys claiming the Lux products to be high quality really need to get out and explore more. Lux offers low quality mass produced junk for the most part. This is our job, to explore the options and find the best products for our patients. They come to us because they need guidance not so we can sell them the the cheapest thing with the highest mark up.
    Do you really want to make the world believe that Luxottica became the largest frame manufacturer in the world by just selling 2nd and third rate products ?

See all their brands:
    http://www.luxottica.com/en/eyewear-brands

Ghost in the OptiMachine Quince's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    You are both right.

Lux as a whole is not the best or the worst. Some of their products are decent while others are junk. I'd like to hear one person say Tiffany & Co is well made with a straight face. You just have to know what their strengths are. If you are going to sell Lux, at least go for the stuff that they put effort into.

My suggestions:

-go for matte finishes.
    -stay away from specialty nosepads/ anything with bushings.
    -look for what models have been tried and true. (the older stuff sells, which is of course boring to the buyer, but won't cause headaches later on.)
    -DO NOT let the reps pick for you! You will end up the stagnant overpriced pieces or a wash of nothing but practically identical frames.

I know we've had this discussion before, and this won't be the last time- but hopefully this feedback is helpful to others who have to buy Lux. The reality is- even if Lux were collectively better made- EVERYONE and their mom carries it- so as an independent, why would you?
    Have I told you today how much I hate poly?

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    The title says it all. Do they exist?

If you had to name the 3 highest quality frame lines, what would they be?
    In my store:

Metropolitan (OWP), Ovvo, Jaguar (ESE), John Varvatos (REM), and Original Penguin (Kenmark)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    And quit drinking the damn kool-aid.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter lensmanmd's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    For quality/price, Kate Spade, OGI (love Seraphin), Woow, and Neubau. I also like Tom Ford and LaFont frames. I’m still on the fence with Kering’s Gucci line. They are popular, seem good and we have not had any issues with them to date. LaFont, Tom Ford, Cazal and Gucci are our priciest frames.

We are an HMO, so pricing is an issue, which is why we won’t carry esoteric and higher priced brands.

Occupation
    If I had to choose, I would keep my Cazal over Gucci in a heartbeat. Number one reason- customer service. I find Kering to be infuriating.

Aside from that, for whatever reason, people seem to get sticker shock with Gucci while they don't blink an eye at the price on a Cazal. There is a lot to be learned here.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Quince View Post
    In my store:

Metropolitan (OWP), Ovvo, Jaguar (ESE), John Varvatos (REM), and Original Penguin (Kenmark)
    Thanks for your support!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I agree with Lindberg, LaFont, Face a face and Prodesign. Everyone wants a spring hinge, but when I explain that 99 times out of hundred, when a part breaks on a frame it is the spring hinge, I can usually get them to step away from springs. For a little less expensive line, I really like the quality of Match Eyewear. They're made in Italy. I used to sell a lot of the Diva line by Eastern States and they had a ton of stones. I never had an issue with them. The frame rep said they had a jewelry setting. It seemed to make a big difference.

Occupation
    Let's face it, all frames can break no matter what the quality.

Lately, I really like some of the Nylon frames that have been coming out & also the real debate is spring hinge vs. traditional hinge.
    Erik Zuniga, ABOC.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    There is a non designer company that i just found out about it is called Go Eyewear Group. Most people rather go straight for the designers because at the end of the day it is an easy sell but these lines of eyeglass frames and sunglasses are surprisingly beautiful well made, as well as very catchy and sharp. https://goeyeweargroup.com/en/
    I hope this helps.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by King of the Lab View Post
    also the real debate is spring hinge vs. traditional hinge.
    IMHO unless it is a super top of the line spring hinge they are a product design destined to fail. A well made hinge with a strong hingestop is sooooo much more durable.

Thread Information