Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Quality frames..Do they exist?

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrumblydumpus View Post

Just out of curiosity, has anyone found a line with bling (rhinestones) that wont fall out? Personally I hate the little blighters but for some reason people keep buying them...

One office that I was at sold Ed Hardy. I won't even get started on how much I hate the line, but one thing I noticed with frames with rhinestones was that if you give them a quick coat of clear nail polish I never had problems with stones falling out. A 99cent investment in nail polish pays dividends!!

I've dealt with Lux products for the past 6 years and have only had problems with Rayban sunglasses, and some styles of Versace. Prada has never been an issue for me personally.

~Crazy

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Crazy-bout-Optics View Post
    One office that I was at sold Ed Hardy. I won't even get started on how much I hate the line, but one thing I noticed with frames with rhinestones was that if you give them a quick coat of clear nail polish I never had problems with stones falling out. A 99cent investment in nail polish pays dividends!!

~Crazy
    I bet that makes the frame look really cool with nail polish on a pair of $500 eyewear. Maybe it will need maintenance, like my wifes nails for $25 bucks every 2 weeks. Not my idea of a solution. JMHO

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Most of the Vera Wang line seems to hold the stones very well. Wish I could play w/ the old stuff...........( Invincable, Report, Eyewitness, anything Rodenstock, Metzler, Neostyle..................)........sigh!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    HeySpecsga,

Welcome to Optiboard!

:cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    The Nike line the '72 collection suprised me when we brought it in, very very very sturdy construction and the hinges were substantial.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Thanks, Fezz..............Long time "Lurker"
    As bulky and outdated as they are, still have guys wanting them.............Can't discount the Elasta frames.

(Beer works for me!!!!!!!!!!
    :cheers::cheers::cheers::cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Welcome specsga, join the party!!!:cheers:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Too Bad...

Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    I use to feel the same way. I do not any longer. If you examine some of their Ted Baker frames, you will be hard pressed to say that the spring hinge, color, coating, etc., is any better than lets say a A&A Jalepeno, or a Silver Dollar frame. Yet..they are at a much different price point.
    Too bad about Tura...
    I remember adjusting and cleaning a woman's Tura frame I had never seen before and asked where and when she got them. It had been over 20 years and they still looked great.

Sharpstick

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Elasta
    Shibumi
    Nike w/ the 5 barrel hinge (no spring)
    Rodenstock

I had a guy come in last year with a Silver Dollar Titanium that the mfg said they discoed in about 1997 after a 15 year run. The rep said it was TOO good! WAY TOO good!;)

Oh, I almost forgot. Titmus EXT-9 Titanium full metal. That's pretty solid! We sell a lot of them and have never had one come back, even though they are used in industrial areas. But since there is no warranty on safety's, we may not hear about any issues.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I am seriously considering buying closeouts and discontinued frames, never did much with them because of warranty issues, frame availabilty issues and the quality of discontinued frames, depending on the manufacturer typically was not as good. But I must tell you, since the economic crisis started about 2 months ago, it seems every time I order a frame, it is on back order, no matter which company I am ordering from. I understand why, but, coupled with the lack of quality and now inventory in new frame releases nationwide, it seems purchasing discontinued closeouts are becoming more of a logical attractive consideration. Mind you, I wouldn't completely throw the baby out with the bath water, but buy a much higher percentage of closeouts. I agree with many of your posts, I am having a difficult time determining a good consistant frame line that has high quality, maybe with the exception of cazals, which we sell a much lower amount of than other lines.

Master OptiBoarder Crazy-bout-Optics's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I bet that makes the frame look really cool with nail polish on a pair of $500 eyewear. Maybe it will need maintenance, like my wifes nails for $25 bucks every 2 weeks. Not my idea of a solution. JMHO
    Actually The finish of the nail polish is matte, you cannot even tell it is on the stones at all, and the customer has no clue it is even on. Last time I checked Ed Hardy sunglasses don't retail for $500.

Your comparison to your wife needing to upkeep on her manicure is comparing apples to oranges.

I think its cool to be able to prevent stones from falling out, than having the customer come back with lost stones asking why I hadn't told them this could happen.

Unless you manufacture the frames yourself, the only thing you can do is prevent them from falling out.

Obxeyeguy, since you seem to look down on my solution that I have offered up to Scrumblydumpus would you like to offer up your own solution?
    Last edited by Crazy-bout-Optics; 11-21-2008 at 01:44 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In my humble opinion, The old Marwitz frames were the best I had ever seen. I currently like Pro design, but not all models. I used to treasure the Matsuda frames people brought in. I only had bad SPX experience with Silhouettes 15 years ago. Today, the outlast just about anything else in "plastic" I handle/see. Silhouette is capable of great things, but their *mission* to become almost an exclusive rimless frame company is disappointing. Just how many versions of the same rimless does one need? To see how parochial they are, look at the shape offerings in the new, Embrace line. Talk about suitable only for European tastes! I've already re-shaped many of these and sold them immediately.

Yes, as one poster had discovered, their is NO need for spring hinges (or at least the quality of spring hinges we see today) to obtain a well-fitted, long-lived frame fit.

Whose listening out there? If you think today's spring hinges are good, we need to take a weekend off to stay at a "get acquainted from true frame quality" retreat. Anyone up for this?

Barry

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    I can't think of any line that ever did better than the old Logo/Nylor rimless line. I am still putting lenses in Logo frames we sold more than 25 years ago. It's a good thing they left the US, because it probably would have put us under selling one frame every 10-20 years.

I actually have very good luck with Silhouette. I think a lot about Silhouette depends on how they are mounted and adjusted. Many people don't drill according to front curve, which can cause problems, and many people "kink" the titanium which is the death knell for most beta titanium products.

In the long run, it all works out because most people want to change their "look" every 3-4 years, so their frame should last about that long as well. Unless, of course, they have an old Logo...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lightec/Oga from Morel Cottet
    Tura that is still made in Japan, not the TB or other lines.
    Safilo Elasta series with the huge hinge.
    L'amy South,West, North, and every other port.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Whose listening out there? If you think today's spring hinges are good, we need to take a weekend off to stay at a "get acquainted from true frame quality" retreat. Anyone up for this?

Barry

Count me in, but can it please be someplace warm?

(Any sponsors out there?)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Count me in, but can it please be someplace warm?

(Any sponsors out there?)
    As long as there is booze I'm there!!!
    Jana Lewis
    ABOC , NCLE

A fine quotation is a diamond on the finger of a man of wit, and a pebble in the hand of a fool.
    Joseph Roux

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Name your poison...

Quote Originally Posted by Jana Lewis View Post
    As long as there is booze I'm there!!!
    Its on me..

Sharpstick

Bad address email on file Catguyphx's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Half to 2/3's of my inventory has for years, been discontinued, closeouts etc. When sales people came in they all warned me I'd be sorry. They all said I'd have replacement issues etc. Well after selling them for at least 20 years, I have to say THEY WERE WRONG!!! So If I have to make a complete new pair for someone who breaks a frame that I can't replace, a few times a year, at most, BIG DEAL!! Most of the time, which happens rarely, when I make a replacement pair for free, I'll try to find a frame to put their orphaned lenses in for free. Now if that doesn't make you look like a hero, nothing will. I've been the only optician in this office for 24 years. I do NO advertising and take no insurance. My business has been built on great service and good prices. Many of my patients have been coming to me for 20 years. Right now i am giving away frames with the purchase of lenses. It sure helps my cash flow and is a great way to get rid of excess frames. I have some great sources for this stuff. Bread and butter frames to some really good, high end lines. Has paid my salary for a loooong time. But then again, I don't run a boutique.
    Last edited by Catguyphx; 11-21-2008 at 04:26 PM.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Catguyphx View Post
    Half to 2/3's of my inventory has for years, been discontinued, closeouts etc. When sales people came in they all warned me I'd be sorry. They all said I'd have replacement issues etc. Well after selling them for at least 20 years, I have to say THEY WERE WRONG!!! So If I have to make a complete new pair for someone who breaks a frame that I can't replace, a few times a year, at most, BIG DEAL!! Most of the time, which happens rarely, when I make a replacement pair for free, I'll try to find a frame to put their orphaned lenses in for free. Now if that doesn't make you look like a hero, nothing will. I've been the only optician in this office for 24 years. I do NO advertising and take no insurance. My business has been built on great service and good prices. Many of my patients have been coming to me for 20 years. Right now i am giving away frames with the purchase of lenses. It sure helps my cash flow and is a great way to get rid of excess frames. I have some great sources for this stuff. Bread and butter frames to some really good, high end lines. Has paid my salary for a loooong time. But then again, I don't run a boutique.
    Nice post, I stopped telling people this a long time ago seems they don't want to listen. There can only be so many boutiques and they serve a small population and the demographics need to support the model, but no matter where you go in America their will always be people looking for a good price and good service. Anyway last I checked most patients don't have a clue how to determine when something is discontinued and even if it is it only means the manufacturer won't service it, that's got nothing to do with me and my patient.

OptiBoard Professional OptiBoard Silver Supporter eryn's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Smilie

For quality Cazal (Ultra Palm) almost no defects. Considering Bling... Caviar (also Ultra Palm) very few issues with rhinestones that fall out. These are handmade and seem to stand the test of time well.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The original BerDel Steroflex spring hinge. The frames were nothing out of the ordinary. But the hinge (a ball bearing, a spring and a notched barrel) was the best design ever. Putting them together without a small vise was a challange though. Never have had a third hand when I needed it.:hammer:

Cape Codger OptiBoard Gold Supporter hcjilson's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'd name Modo, Sillouette, and the lite-tech line from Morrell.
    "Always laugh when you can. It is a cheap medicine"
    Lord Byron

Take a photo tour of Cape Cod and the Islands!
    www.capecodphotoalbum.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by waynegilpin View Post
    The original BerDel Steroflex spring hinge. The frames were nothing out of the ordinary. But the hinge (a ball bearing, a spring and a notched barrel) was the best design ever. Putting them together without a small vise was a challange though. Never have had a third hand when I needed it.:hammer:
    They had a very handy vise for easy assembly of those hinges.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Kovalis
    Clearvision has been good for us recently
    Nike

L'Amy usually is, they seem to be hit and miss lately.

i would say most are a 7 out of 10 though.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter rdcoach5's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

sturdiest frames

Charmant in general and especially Charmant Flex are very good quality as are Marchon's Flexon and Coach and Calvin Klein. Certain top Safilo lines are also good- Gucci, for example. However a lot of Safilo lines have slipped.I recently saw a Neostyle frame that was years old but still looked new. Going back to classic frames, Metzler made the best quality frames, as sturdy as Menrad but less clunky.

Thread Information