Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: How low can it go?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    Looks like you were the winner (hopefully). It seems like it is beginning to climb back
    I'll double my bet that it's going quite a bit lower...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    don't daytraders do the same thing over and over and over........... buy/sell and short/cover like always .....they caused the problem ?...... no change in their pattern

sub-prime mortgages,credit swaps, etc ....the pattern changed as loan applicants no longer proved qualification......... that problem escalated into historical proportions

just an opinion

BB

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    BB . . . Were it that simple.

Day traders were losers before and they are losers today. It's sort of of like trying to driving coast to coast in a drag racer.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    So far today, the DOW is down +/- 200 points.

How far down do you think the market will go before it levels out, or goes up?

I'm guessing it will go as low as 5900.

The critera I'd use is 10 straight business days for the DOW to be in the black.

What's you're guess?
    Looks like it was lowest at 6547. Now it's over 10,500.
    Not a bad recovery so far.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    So now's a great time to buy GM stock?

Fact? Yes, some of the market will go up...eventually, but if you hitch your wagon to the wrong horse, you'll be out of luck.

That's a fact.
    How's that GM stock doing for ya Johns?:D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

You ain't seen nuttin yet!!!

Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Looks like it was lowest at 6547. Now it's over 10,500.
    Not a bad recovery so far.
    We haven't seen the low yet!

:cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    We haven't seen the low yet!
    There have been several of the "experts" that have said it will go down again, but most are saying only the US exchanges will drop. The next few years will be interesting.

:cheers:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Better to have attitude than a .
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    it will go low again. It will have a major drop. However, that drop will not happen for a number of years. I predict that over the next 7 years, Republicans will continue to predict the drop. When it eventually happens (because our economy does run in cycles), they will blame Obama for it, even if it happens a couple of years after he is out of office. They will then tell everyone how they predicted it and people will believe them.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Better to have attitude than a .
    You can't buy groceries w/an attitude.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

No, but you can shoplift them with one...

:bbg:

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    But you won't be as depressed. Gee, you sound like doom and gloom Chris.:D:D
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    But you won't be as depressed. Gee, you sound like doom and gloom Chris.:D:D
    No...not at all! It's just that I see so many people skipping along, caught up in the "recovery", and picking up their old habits where they left off.

Of course a positive attitude is preferred over the alternative, and you always have that, but a healthy dose of skepticism would not be a bad idea, as we gleefully amble down Recovery Lane.

Others here still want to keep arguing Blues and Reds, and who's to blame (not you), but it's about time that they realized that it's way beyond Dems and Rep., and who can we pin the fault on. They;re all crooks.This mess is from many administrations, as well as the "buy now, enjoy now, pay later/never" attitude that so many people bought into, and are getting lulled back into now.

I'm looking for a major dip (around the 7,500 mark) by July, and another correction by September. No doom and gloom here, just a bit of caution...

Occupation
    just food for thought as I refresh my memory: (nothing more than a personal opinion)

"read our lips" they said, "there is no recession"

bureaucrats imho massage numbers to suppress less than favorable data.......they have the power to "revise" later.......just think about the private corp that runs our "federal" reserve

so boys and girls, what do you call a "recovery" without support from the dollar ?

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    But looking at the Dow today, there will probably be some correction, but no lower than 9,500

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    But looking at the Dow today, there will probably be some correction, but no lower than 9,500

Maybe not today, but keep wathching...

Occupation
    I hope all of you pundits remain in the optical business and avoid any employment having to do with economics or investments.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by rbaker View Post
    I hope all of you pundits remain in the optical business and avoid any employment having to do with economics or investments.
    Yeah...and retire happily ever after on that big optical pension. (W/out utilizing any investments?)

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm sure you've already seen this, but look at the number "73" in the middle of this article. You think you can take that away and not have a HUGE negative effect? Commercial defaults are a given, but I think the second wave of residential will follow...

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...covery-worries

Occupation
    Optometrist
    I have no idea
    professional advise
    www.ophthalmetry.com

Occupation
    I'm sure you've already seen this, but look at the number "73" in the middle of this article. You think you can take that away and not have a HUGE negative effect? Commercial defaults are a given, but I think the second wave of residential will follow...

http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work...covery-worries
    This is just another example of the administrations making the most of a bad situation in order to take further control of the economy from the free market. The fact is, about 91% of all mortgages are being paid on time and are in no danger of default.

We may see a second wave if we do not see an improvement in the employment figures soon. Although many of the unemployed are really not looking too hard due to the extensions of the unemployment benefits.

The Obama administration has created a malaise throughout the economy. Those with the capital and entrepreneurial spirit to start or expand their business thereby creating more wealth are frightened by the direction that they see the administration taking. They are hunkering in and praying that these bad times will pass.

We can not turn our backs on the economic system (warts and all) that has made America the wealthiest nation on the face of the earth.

I recently received this email:

Dear Mr. President,

Please find below my suggestion for fixing America ’seconomy. Instead of giving billions of dollars to companies that will squander the money on lavish parties and unearned bonuses, use the following plan. You can call it the "Patriotic Retirement Plan":

There are about 40 million people over 50 in the work force. Pay them $1 million apiece severance for early retirement with the following stipulations:

1) They MUST retire. Forty million job openings - Unemployment fixed.

2) They MUST buy a new American CAR. Forty million cars ordered – Auto Industry fixed.

3) They MUST either buy a house or pay off their mortgage – Housing Crisis fixed.

It can't get any easier than that!!

P.S. If more money is needed, have all members in Congress pay their taxes....

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    (sighs)
    Of course all massively forwarded emails are true!!
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have set a plan.

Because of the dramatic comeback of the stock market, and my IRA's included, my retirement has now been moved up to a date within my life expectancy.

I am approaching 55 and am planning to start retirement in 2025, in which I will start closing on Fridays at 3pm. I will continue with this course, gradually reducing my hours until I will be closed on Fridays completely(2030). This plan of mine will continue with its agressive shut down until the year 2035(age 80), at which point I hope to only be open 3 days a week.

All of this is contingent on the "new" healthcare bill, as I pay all my own premiums. If it passes as I see it, I will have to postpone these dates by at least 10 years, once again past my life expectancy, but I can't afford to die. From what I see, my private pay rates will only go up, to pay for the un-insured, and I may even be taxed on what I pay.

For all those that feel we should all share everything that we have, I'll keep my money, and my guns, and you can have the change.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Lucky you obx! Early retirement! I wish I could retire at 80. I'm sure I'll be found keeled over a handstone...

Thread Information