Thread: RH Burton

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

RH Burton

Hello Everyone. Does anyone know what is going on with them. We have tried for 2 weeks to get ahold of them and there is no answer. We have left voicemail after voicemail and know one has returned our calls. We have equipment from them that is maybe a year old and we need them to come in and service it. Have they shut there doors!! I hope not. Any help would be great. thanks

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I live 2 hours away from them, have not heard a thing, i hope they are ok, would hate to lose my local phoroptor cleaner.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    It was reported on the Columbus news a couple of weeks ago that they shut down. You may try LPO, also in the Columbus, Ohio area.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sure glad they turned down the repair on my radiuscope "for lack of parts availability".

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We have keratometer from them, it takes a weird fluorescent bulb, I hope i can find a replacement bulb..........

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    We have keratometer from them, it takes a weird fluorescent bulb, I hope i can find a replacement bulb..........
    One about three (3) inches round? Sure, they are available... see the Bulbman and others. Quite pricey, about $100-$125 each.:cheers:

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Matthew View Post
    Do you have a burned out one that I could have? I've got file cabinets full of bulbs in the warehouse, and I've probably got some of those if you ever need them.

Funny, I called them just before VEW to price a tonopen, and they were open then.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Have you heard anything, and does anyone know what lpo is?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are looking to just have your equipment serviced, Wendell Barber has a company called Indy Instrument Service, based out of Shelbyville, IN. 317-372-9091. We have had him service our equipment on a regular basis and assisted us in purchasing a few new pieces of equipment.

Very nice and professional guy.. our equipment though older is in excellent condition thanks in part to him.
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Our lensometer was in for reconditioning Sept. 2008, a month later they called asking for our credit card number. Expecting to have delivery at the end of the first week of October but it didn't show up. I called and was told they weren't sure when it would be finished. By the last week of October we received a call from an ex-employee at R H Burton, he told us that the company had been locked down by the bank and was in bank receiver-ship. He asked if he could send it to us COD if the bank gave him access to the building. It never happened. By the end of October we received our credit card statement showing payment to Burton. By the first of November a bank’s liquidation representative called asking for our shipping number and for us to return the loaner unit. We said fine. sent us our lensometer and if repaired we would return the loaner. To date we have not received shipment and the banks representative hasn't return our calls. We have asked our credit card company to reverse payment.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

RH Burton Company (Bankrupt)

Quote Originally Posted by rtperry View Post
    Hello Everyone. Does anyone know what is going on with them. We have tried for 2 weeks to get ahold of them and there is no answer. We have left voicemail after voicemail and know one has returned our calls. We have equipment from them that is maybe a year old and we need them to come in and service it. Have they shut there doors!! I hope not. Any help would be great. thanks
    Our lensometer was in for reconditioning Sept. 2008, a month later they called asking for our credit card number. Expecting to have delivery at the end of the first week of October but it didn't show up. I called and was told they weren't sure when it would be finished. By the last week of October we received a call from an ex-employee at Burton, he told us that the company had been locked down by the bank and was in bank receiver-ship. He asked if he could send it to us COD if the bank gave him access to the building. It never happened. By the end of October we received our credit card statement showing payment to Burton. By the first of November a bank’s liquidation representative called asking for our shipping number and for us to return the loaner unit. We said fine. sent us our lensometer and if repaired we would return the loaner. To date we have not received shipment and the banks representative hasn't return our calls. We have asked our credit card company to reverse payment.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    What a nightmare.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If they gave me a loaner that worked and did not return my origional equipment in repaired condition. I would just keep the loaner indefinitely unless there was some great difference in value or quality. Also remember that I'll bet RH Burton's people are having thier own little nightmare.

Chip

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The loaner works. But, it’s missing the magnifier viewer on the axis wheel making seeing the axis difficult. It doesn’t have the 8X prism adjustment features as my original Burton lensometer. But it does show powers correctly and it does spot the lenses accurately. I defiantly plan to keep it until mine is returned in working order. Then we’ll talk about returning the loaner to the liquation company. It’s sad that they are gone. They always treated me right. I think they had been in business for over 60 years

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Miller View Post
    I think they had been in business for over 60 years
    1947 as per their website. I feel bad for the owners and employees of that company. I can only imagine what they are going through now.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DocInChina View Post
    1947 as per their website. I feel bad for the owners and employees of that company. I can only imagine what they are going through now.
    I’m surprised the RH Burton Company’s problem hasn’t found it’s way to any of the optical news magazines. Burton made reliable optical equipment for so many years. Surely someone/s would want to talk to the bank’s liquidators - buy them out and restart the company. As I see it we as an industry have very few options for good manual lensmeters

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Kent Miller View Post
    Surely someone/s would want to talk to the bank’s liquidators - buy them out and restart the company. As I see it we as an industry have very few options for good manual lensmeters
    Sounds good but...

Their market has shrunk. There are few independents, the chains are struggling, the market is flooded with Chineese equipment, and it's easier for MDs and other to buy auto lensometers than to train their staff how to use a real one (if they even know themselves).

Plus, if a company that's been around for 60+ years, had a good portion of the market, an infrastructure and sources in place couldn't make it, what adavantage will a newcomer to the scene have?

(just playing devil's advocate...)
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder
    Back in NYC.....Shenzhen, China and Hong Kong
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Plus, if a company that's been around for 60+ years, had a good portion of the market, an infrastructure and sources in place couldn't make it, what adavantage will a newcomer to the scene have?
    John brings up a good point. We do not have to look further than our own industry to see the choices either: sell out to a national or international company if you are a lab, chain or independent and if you are a manufacturer move your production outside of the US. Larger organizations theoretically have redundant expenditures which will lower the operation cost per location. International lens companies (Essilor, Zeiss, Hoya) buy independent labs and have a means to further distribute their product which they produce themselves increasing their margins per unit.

The bottom line is the bottom line. If a business cannot afford to compete on price and quality as well as cover your operating expenses and still make a profit then it is impossible to keep any business operating.

Thread Information