Thread: Pech VS. Duffens (Denver)

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Question Pech VS. Duffens (Denver)

We are considering switching from Pech to Duffens based on Vision Source pricing. Duffens is a Vision Source and a VSP provider. We are familiar with Pech since we have been using them for quite a while so mainly we are looking for opionions about Duffens. The good, bad and ugly. Thanks all, you are the best!:cheers::cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Pech has good days and bad. Pech also is not a VS preferred lab, and does not offer the same pricing as a true VS lab. They will offer discounts to remain competitive, but on the whole we found them to run an average of 10-15% higher for the same product.

Duffens Denver.

Wow. Where do I begin. The short version of the story is this. The last three practices I have managed dropped them like a hot potato. Their quality control is non-existant, and the accounting department seems to change it's rules about pricing and credits with the phase of the moon. There are some very talented individuals there, but over all, they can't hold a candle to either our local lab Sunstar (in Salt Lake) or our new ELOA lab. The ELOA lab isn't accepting any new work or else I would highly suggest them as well.

I would network with any other VS offices in your general area, and perhaps with your local ELOA rep as well. get some ideas, make a few calls, and talk to other practices. See what they like and don't about the quality, price and turn times of the labs they're using. We will never be going back to Duffens Denver as they've burned the bridges far far too many times for us to be comfortable with them.

Feel free to PM if I can help out in any other ways. We just had our local VSR meeting yesterday and had some good info on networking and maximizing efficiency as a VS practice. I'm happy to help if I can.

All the best!

Brian~

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    In past years, Duffens was a very good lab.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Uilleann View Post
    Pech has good days and bad.

All labs go through this.......

But, I am having issues with Pech with on a couple of jobs right now = One being-My own personal sunglasses.........only been in process for like a month now!

No biggie, I didn't really want to wear them anytime soon anyway?

I don't have any experience with that Duffens branch.

Best of luck!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:
    Last edited by Fezz; 10-31-2008 at 08:14 AM.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Again, I will restate very clearly - I have some very good friends at BOTH Pech and Duffens Denver. But the cost of the former, and the complete and utter lack of quality controls at the latter will cost them our business for the foreseeable future. Particularly for the small independent OD or dispensary, one or two remakes or spoilages a week is one or two too many.

Find a lab that has both great front end customer service, but also impeccable knowledge and skill on the layout and fab. side of things. They should also naturally follow all that up with flawless back end support and communication. If you're getting any less from them than the standard you hold yourself to with your own patients, move on.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Duffens in Denver . . .

has some of the best reps in the business. They've been there since before Gary Duffens moved on. Unfortunately they have no control over the quality. I don't know if Steve Smith is still the lab manager there and it may not be his fault, but the quality took a nose dive after he took over. We also had problems with our bill.

Pech is higher than alot of labs, but you'd be hard pressed to find more knowledgable customer service reps. They have their ups and downs like everyone else, but if these 2 are the only ones you're considering I'd go with Pech.

Just my 2 cents. Good luck to you!!

:cheers:
    Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Apprentice Nikki McGee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We just recently moved most of our business away from Duffens in Denver. We had countless problems with them. The straw that broke the camels back was customer service reps telling us our Drivewear demo didn't have to have the polarization on axis- "because it's just a demo", "even though the perscribed prism was off it was still accomplishing what the doctor wants", and "the axis would never be right on" because the patient has a flexon bridge (we still felt tha 8 degrees was too much- go figure). We are now working with HOYA in Seattle- I have worked with a couple different HOYA labs and this one has been the best. Not sure what HOYA does as far as VS is concerned, but the VS office I worked in before used them as well.
    ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Framebender View Post
    [Duffens Denver] has some of the best reps in the business.
    You really think so? Our experience was poles apart from yours then. We had horrid representation from DD. Since starting with my new practice here in SLC I was ready for more of the same from them, but after dealing with our new ELOA rep here, he's been exceptional! Outstanding! Amazing! I never knew our lab rep could be so helpful, informative and supportive of our practice. I hope that DD has some others unlike the one I was stuck with twice before. All the best!

As to the point of knowledgeable CSR's, I think they're great. But will ALWAYS be happier when I can speak directly to the lab manager him or herself. i've had three labs that were small enough to do this on a daily basis. MUCH better communication, and better end product as a result we've found. See what sort of relationships you can put together.

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

I only know about . . .

their Colorado reps who are as fine a bunch as any I've run across. I'm sorry you didn't have the opportunity to deal with them.

Days where my gratitude exceed my expectations are very good days!

OptiBoard Apprentice Nikki McGee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    their Colorado reps who are as fine a bunch as any I've run across. I'm sorry you didn't have the opportunity to deal with them.

I agree, the reps are wonderful!! I just wish the quality carried over to the lab.
    ABOC

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    They were actually the very ones I had the 'pleasure' of dealing with. Curiouser and curiouser.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Wave What about walman optical

I worked for duffens when steve smith took over and thats when it went downhill. It was all about #`s and the quality slipped and it sounds like it is still the s.o.s. Try walmans they have one of the best lab techs in the business and they are all about qualiy...

Thread Information