Optometrist

More Great Glasses garbage

http://www.thespec.com/article/457293

Disciplinary hearing for optician
    Great Glasses founder faces allegations of professional misconduct

STEVE BUIST
    The Hamilton Spectator

TORONTO (Oct 29, 2008)
    A Dundas optician's cross-examination of a former customer during a disciplinary hearing yesterday inadvertently raised the possibility that at least one Great Glasses store was engaged in questionable insurance claim practices.

The revelation came during the opening day of a disciplinary hearing by Ontario's College of Opticians against Bruce Bergez, founder of the Great Glasses' chain of eyewear stores, which are known for their "3-for-1" business model.

Bergez, who is representing himself at the hearing, is facing a number of allegations by the college that he committed acts of professional misconduct. Bergez's certificate to practise as an optician has already been under suspension by the college since November 2006.

In his opening remarks, the college's prosecutor pointed to a number of previous court rulings against Bergez, including a decision by Ontario's Court of Appeal earlier this month that unanimously upheld a massive penalty for contempt imposed against Bergez by a Hamilton judge in 2006.

Bergez, his wife and three of their companies have been fined $1 million and a further $50,000 a day for every day since that they haven't been in compliance with Ontario legislation that governs the prescribing and dispensing of eyeglasses and contact lenses.

The outstanding fines dating back to November 2006 now total approximately $34 million.

The first witness called at yesterday's disciplinary hearing testified she went to the Milton Great Glasses location in June 2006 to purchase glasses for the first time in her life.

The woman said she paid a $100 deposit to the store, and was given a receipt for $400, which covered the full cost of her three pairs of glasses. She submitted the receipt to her insurance provider, received a $300 cheque for her insurance claim, paid the balance owing to the store and picked up her glasses.

But the woman said she couldn't see with the glasses and asked for a refund.

She eventually left the store without the glasses or a refund.

"I left there with no glasses, no money and many concerns," the woman testified.

During his cross-examination, Bergez suggested that the woman was only interested in trying to obtain a refund.

"No," she replied, "I was seeking a pair of glasses that worked."

The woman stated that the store's owner had accused her of defrauding her insurance company out of the $300, an allegation that upset the woman.

She then stated that it was actually the store's staff member who had counselled her to submit the receipt for the full $400 amount to her insurance company, even though the woman had only paid a $100 deposit. That way, the staff member told her at the time, she'd have her insurance claim processed by the time her glasses were ready to be picked up in a couple of weeks.

Later, a supervisor of benefits analysis for insurer Green Shield Canada testified that her company filed complaints with the College of Opticians in 2006 and 2007 because of concerns that plan members may not have been receiving eyewear from Great Glasses that was safe and properly dispensed.

The 2007 complaint was also prompted because Bergez's name continued to show up on insurance claim forms, even though he was suspended as an optician at the time.

Two large chunks of the day were tied up dealing with side issues.

After the lunch break, the panel of five adjudicators spent about an hour dealing with an impromptu motion by Bergez seeking to have the panel disqualify itself because two of the members had shared an elevator for two floors with a couple of the college's witnesses.

The motion was tossed out after the panel members said they weren't aware the other passengers in the elevator were witnesses and that any elevator conversation was nothing more than idle chit-chat about Sarah Palin and Hillary Clinton's pantsuits.

Another half hour was tied up in discussion at the start of the day when Bergez objected to the college's request for a publication ban on the identity of patients who would be called as witnesses.

During his cross-examination of a second patient, Bergez spent several minutes trying to determine how far her downtown Hamilton home was located from the Great Glasses store on Dundurn Street, and whether her job at McMaster University Medical Centre was a two-minute or four-minute drive from the store, even though the witness said she didn't know how to drive a car.

The hearing continues this morning.

sbuist@thespec.com

905-526-3226

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    and yet his stores are still open. How many decisions need to be maded to close him down?

How much more do consumers need to here?

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    The slimy snake continues to slither.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Yea but a Deals a Deal!!
    And I mean 3 pairs of glasses for the price of one!! That is one heck of a deal!
    So what if your insurance company won't reimburse you........and WHO CARES IF IT's ILLEGAL..........
    Being able to actually SEE, is a luxury

You want to hear something sad, I had a customer say to me "we'll it can't be that bad, concidering they're still open for business"
    People assume that since they're still open............

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Crack dealers are still open for business too. Hmmm, can't be that bad.......

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hey Godin: I just bought a 15 year old Ford Pinto for $100,000 and they gave me 2 more for free! Those guys at the Porsche dealer only would give me one car for $100,000!! If you call today the 3 for 1 car dealership is throwing in free floor mats!! Call 905-383-1467 for more great deals. Better hurry. Deals like these don't last for very long.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    lol
    hold on.........I dont support these guys!!!
    I was just making a joke!
    Now where is this dealership? :hammer:

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The OAO is in court today with 4 owners of GG stores to get this stuff to end. On another point, there was a case a year or so ago where the dentists had a case of an unqualified person doing dentistry. They also went the legal route to stop the individual. It just didin't go as long as this case.

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Quote Originally Posted by optical maven View Post
    The OAO is in court today with 4 owners of GG stores to get this stuff to end. On another point, there was a case a year or so ago where the dentists had a case of an unqualified person doing dentistry. They also went the legal route to stop the individual. It just didin't go as long as this case.
    I don't think it is owners; GG hires people off the street and makes them "independent contractors" possibly to limit their liability when their independent contractors violate the RHPA (?)

The people taken to court were employees, not owners as I recall. They had a trial last spring but because it took too long the court postponed it for many months. Gotta love the system.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You guys/gals in the great north should become our 51st state. You seem to be almost as screwed up as we are, but i'm sure we could screw this up more than it already is.:D

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Does anyone know the outcome of the disciplinary hearings ?

Occupation
    Call the Power girl. Oh, hang on, she's on one of those relation building adventures somewhere in North America on our dime again.

Money well spent. And there's more... PM me and I will share the latest.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    Does anyone know the outcome of the disciplinary hearings ?

Actually, just the other day, I emailed the journalist of the articles. He said the hearing is still ongoing: 2 days this month, and 2 more days in December. The Spectator decided to wait until the College had made a decision to report the story, instead of reporting several days of little tidbits.

Oh well..... guess we just have to wait a little longer....

Occupation
    And continue to wait, and wait, and wait, and wait...

I honestly think the College doesn't know how or what to do with this case and is hoping it will just quietly go away.

Not likely.

The current council certainly hasn't done a good job even trying to remotely explain to it's members the status of this case. I render them completely incompetent and ineffective.

What's that I hear? Are the winds of change approaching?

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

New Store!

FYI---

http://lfpress.ca/newsstand/Business...18006-sun.html

Another new store in London ON.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail

Confused Disciplinary Hearing Dates

Optician/Member: Mr. Bruce Bergez C-1192
    Hearing Date: January 8 and 9, 2009
    Time: 10:00am
    Location: Victory Verbatim Reporting Services, 222 Bay St. Suite 900, Toronto ON

If you plan on attending this hearing please contact the college at
    discipline@coptont.org or 416-368-3616 extension 213.

This information is from the COO website. It's still a wait-and-see game....

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by JustUs View Post
    Optician/Member: Mr. Bruce Bergez C-1192
    Hearing Date: January 8 and 9, 2009
    Time: 10:00am
    Location: Victory Verbatim Reporting Services, 222 Bay St. Suite 900, Toronto ON

If you plan on attending this hearing please contact the college at
    discipline@coptont.org or 416-368-3616 extension 213.

This information is from the COO website. It's still a wait-and-see game....

Why is it wait and see ?

Occupation
    Optometrist
    The guy has a fine of nearly $40,000,000 and had his license suspended over a year ago. Does anyone really think these meetings mean anything?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by optical maven View Post
    The guy has a fine of nearly $40,000,000 and had his license suspended over a year ago. Does anyone really think these meetings mean anything?
    the question ,in my opinion ,is "why has the College not yanked his license yet ? Why has the College not dealt with the other "suspended" license yet ? Why has the College done nothing at all towards Public Awareness Advertising ? They know that the public buys there and has their eyes "tested" there every single day and is supposedly at risk of harm ,so why do they not warn the public of this risk ? Why do Ontario opticians allow this insult from the College ? What is the College doing to prevent this from happening from another start up ?
    Last edited by Refractingoptician.com; 01-05-2009 at 09:10 PM.

Occupation
    Optometrist

Occupation
    As usual, nothing new.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by eyemanflying View Post
    As usual, nothing new.
    Some might wonder about why there are no patient files or records & he still is not revoked .

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Frame Manufacturer

Update

Something new....
    http://thespec.com/article/494584

Sv

Occupation
    Optometrist
    Here's some more:

http://coptont.org/docs/Legal/Bergez-appeal-jan6-09.pdf

Basically says they are required to pay the $16M in fines accumulated up to a previous judgement. I wonder when Bruce will cut the cheque?

Occupation
    Bergez will just continue to do his best in delaying the final outcome and 'pay up day' in hopes that Ontario opticians will soon be legally able to refract and then all charges, fines and penalties will be dropped.

His more serious problem is how he will deal with Revenue Canada's tax bill and evasion charges.

It's really hard to hide a Mercedes, BMW, Porsche and $800,000 house when you and your spouse claim zero income on your income tax returns.
    :hammer:

Thread Information