Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: 'Optician' Title... how to achieve it.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

'Optician' Title... how to achieve it.

Canada is blessed with uniform opticianry standards throughout our country.

However, there seems to be no concensus in who should be granted the title of 'optician' in USA's optical industry. Any person starting in lab, day 1, considers himself/herself automatically to be an 'optician' just because they are now in the optical business. And so does anyone just beginning to sell eyewear in the big chains.

If 'opticians' in the USA want to be recognized as 'professional opticians' they must organize to protect this title, and the first step is to make formal opticianry education a pre-requisite to entry to the field. It doesn't necessarily need to be a two (2)-year A.S.S. degree, but it must include the basic opticianry competencies required to properly dispense a job.

The big optical chains won't assist... they will stick to their agenda and say thaat we offer all required opticianry training 'in-house' to our staff. Some of this informal training does help 'optical newbies' to understand the potential complexities involved in some Rx's, but the vast majority don't know or care to advance their optical knowledge base beyond selling.

So how to change this situation? It will be a tough sell, since many chain optical salespersons believe think they are doing a very good job, thank you very much... and they don't want/need further formal training. And they are right 85% of the time... fill the Rx, sell the extras and send Mrs. Brown on her way. Of course Mrs. Brown, if she has a problem, will often assume that it is her eyes that are problematic, rather than blaming the 'optician' that filled her Doctor's Rx.

Solution? Here's my take, and it will not prove to be a popular remedy.

First (1st) step... do what is takes to get rid of ABO and NCLE standard competency exams, and insist that the USA standard become the ABO Advanced exam, and the NCLE Advanced exam. This will eliminate the current ABO/NCLE minimum competency exams that can be passed with minimal effort, yet do not require a basic understanding of geometric optics, the basis of all opticianry.

Also, restrict the title of 'optician' to those that actually dispense to the public, and give the fabrication of eyewear its own official designation or title... say, 'optical lab technician'. Eyewear fabrication is its own specialty, and although many individual lab techs have specific optical fabrication knowledge beyond that required by an 'optician', this knowledge of surfacing, repairing, fabricating, etc is not the true function of a 'dispensing optician'. Optical lab techs are not expected to deal with the public, have no licensure requirements, take no mandatory continuing education credits (CEC's) to maintain licensure, although they remain indispensible in making sure that the eyewear ordered is made to specification standards. So they remain an integral part of the process.

Getting State agreement to separate optical titles will take much effort, but I submit that it is a necessary first step to achieving a distinct 'optician' title, and begin professional uniformity throughout the USA. But it will require many persons to park their egos in order to accomplish this goal. I wonder if America's 'opticians' are up to the task?:cheers:

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Stop wondering.........

Quote Originally Posted by tmorse View Post
    But it will require many persons to park their egos in order to accomplish this goal. I wonder if America's 'opticians' are up to the task?
    Stop wondering.........they are not. They woiuld have to be regulated and this will never happen. There is too much pollitics involved like lobbying state legislatures from too many sides that want opticians as they are now.
    Into that group you could count optometrists, ophthalmologists and last but not least some of the large optical corporations.

You did it in British Columbia who used to be the last province in Canada that had no regulation for many years were the rest of Canada had it all.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    In New York State, you can only call yourself an optician if you are licensed. Even if you're ABO Certified... you're not an optician.

Optical Educator
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ditto in Florida

As in New York, we have strict rules about using professional titles. Even when a dispenser has passed the ABO which reads 'certified optician', they are not allowed to put 'certified optician' on the wall, on a name badge, on a business card or to state verbally.

They may only use the title 'optician' after completing requirements and passing the state licensing board.

: )

Laurie

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    In MD and PA if you can train a pig to "optician" that pigs got more training than most opticians in the two states combined. Now if you can get him to spell "optician" you put that pig in a white coat and usher him into the lab.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    here in Minnesota, my 14 cats can call themselves opticians, actually finding a job and doing it is a different story.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Of course Mrs. Brown, if she has a problem, will often assume that it is her eyes that are problematic, rather than blaming the 'optician' that filled her Doctor's Rx.
    You *have* actually worked with the public before, right? If you have, then you know that nothing is ever the patient's fault. It's always a problem with the glasses or the service. :hammer:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

nc

here in N.C. you cannot tell anyone you are a licensed optician unless you are, but you can hang out the useless abo certficate, but a license must be on the premises

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerlilly View Post
    You *have* actually worked with the public before, right? If you have, then you know that nothing is ever the patient's fault. It's always a problem with the glasses or the service. :hammer:
    Easy tiger... I 'have' worked with the public for many years, thank you and I do know all about the many chronic complainers out there.

I also know that there are many members of the public who tolerate slipshop optical work while trying to adjust to their new Rx. :D:D

registeredoptician Refractingoptician.com's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Canada is blessed with uniform opticianry standards throughout our country. .

If 'opticians' in the USA want to be recognized as 'professional opticians' they must organize to protect this title, and the first step is to make
    Ted is right ! And don't try to reinvent the wheel . Find a good example and unify from there , perhaps use the Canadian model .

Opticianry started from the bottom , a few little chapters here and there and became bigger then unified provincially, then across the country . Try doing it the other way around . Try building it from the top down . It'll be faster . Start with a federal beginning if you can . That way you won't have to lobby state by state .

Be sure to get the definition and legislative wordings right .

(PS I don't pretend to know your political system so maybe yo can't work this way )

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary View Post
    (PS I don't pretend to know your political system so maybe yo can't work this way )
    It could work that way, the problem would be WM, LC, OD, MD, etc, etc.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

If you want to be an real optician, pass ABOC.

In the U.S. according to state, there are licensing state(NY, CA, OH....) and no licensing states(MN, WI, IN,PA...).

If you want to be an real optician, pass ABOC.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you want to be a real "Optician" go to work in a lab. Learn to grind, polish and do bench work. Then go to work for good highly skilled optician and watch, immitate until your skills are comproble to his. Then worry about taking test, and having letter after your name.
    One can pass the ABO and the NCLE without ever having touched a lens or a pair of eyeglasses.

Chip

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Optician as eyecare professional

Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    If you want to be a real "Optician" go to work in a lab. Learn to grind, polish and do bench work. Then go to work for good highly skilled optician and watch, immitate until your skills are comproble to his. Then worry about taking test, and having letter after your name.
    One can pass the ABO and the NCLE without ever having touched a lens or a pair of eyeglasses.

Chip
    Hi~! I agree with you partly.
    Optician is not only a technologist in dispensing lenses and fitting but also a eyecare professional by providing proper education to patients and servicing well knowledged valuable eye care together with Ophthalmologist and Optometrist.That's why formal optican education is necessary.
    Many states and other countries need at least 2 year ophthalmic optical education for seating for optician certificate.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    One can pass the ABO and the NCLE without ever having touched a lens or a pair of eyeglasses. Chip
    I happeen to believe in a separation of skills and titles. Optical Lab Tech, Fabricating Lab tech, Lab Rat... call it as you will. The back room staff are unregulated and don't deal with the public.

On the other hand the 'Optician' forms the front room staff with totally different skill sets, and needs a formal optics background to understand and troubleshoot customer problems, educate and explain, etc.

There is no slight in being a Optical lab tech. And not all front room staff are 'opticians' either. LC may call you a 'frame stylist' or 'sales associate' but don't refer to yourself as an optician unless you have a reasonable complete understanding of optical theory.

ABO and NCLE 'Advanced' certifications are available and if you can get past these I would title you an Optician. But with the basic ABO and NCLE, a more appropriate title might be 'student optician'. You can read this lack of basic optical knowledge from the fundamental questions posed by ABOC holders on this forum. Many State societies are partly to blame, by requiring the basic ABO and NCLE rather than the 'Advanced'. And this 'basic' certification continues to be a BIG money-maker for the ABOC/NCLE organization, so they won't lead any changes.

IMHO, opticianry in the USA must first get past this title hurdle and concentrate on demonstrating optical competencies through standardized examination at an 'advanced' level.

Go ahead and 'Raise the Bar', TEXAS but don't advocate as to the 'how' (you are simply not qualified), but only the 'what' an optician should know. You can make a start by lobbying for the Advanced ABO and NCLE certifications as the minimum necessary to carry the title of 'Optician'. :cheers:

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I passed ABO & NCLE one shot by learning from books in 2000 (Self-study for less than 3 months intensively)

Went back to Canada, I must finish 6 full-time terms (2 years theory + 1 year working) before I took licensed Optician exam (Theory + practice).

I know there are many excellent opticians with just ABO. I also must say that formal school give you the depth knowledge.

There may be different reasons, optician title should apply for anyone who pass either certification or licensed exams.

Victor.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

At the Risk of more flack

I do realize that the origional question was "How to obtain the title optician." and formal training and the ABO is the way to go for this.

Now how to be a good optician is another matter entirely. A good bench man, with some grinding and polishing skills can be made into a far far better optician than anyone with a whole bunch of initials after thier name. At least until we get to the Darrel Meister level.

And I do agree that some folks in the lab should never be put in sight of the retail public. But then some folks in sight of the retail public, reguardless of initials should have been confined to the lab.

As to "educating" the public, this usually tranlates into "selling" which is not a basic optical skill. And the little "instruction" one gives the patient on inserting/removing contacts in the average doctors office sure can't be called "educating."

Opticians job is to select the ideal lens for the patient's needs (the patient's input other than telling the optician what his needs are) is not significant. The patient will usually tell you he wants whatever you told him he needs. If he's a pipline welder and you tell him he can't live with AR, he'll go along. If you tell the public speaker he doesn't need AR he'll go along. So much for "education."

Now knowing what can be mounted, what it will do while it's there, how to mount and repair it. This is being an optician.

Chip

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Old School

Chip
    While I highly value the skills of the masters who came before us, they are now becoming obsolete, unfortunately. Until we gain formal education, we are at a dead end professionally. I am at a loss to see how people cannot see this, but alas it is true. Chip has his idea of what an Optician is and should be, and others have a different slant. Grinding, polishing and finishing are important, but technology has now eclisped much of the necessity for those skills. Making pretty glasses is not my idea of the future, however, and we need to look ahead, not to the past. I see a role in contact lenses, low vision, refraction and management. Many Opticians do not even know the very basics of optics, for heaven's sake! We must learn other things. Who do you feel folks should now shadow to learn these skills? The supervisor for most apprenticeships today is the manager at Wal Mart, who learned from her manager, and none had the value of a Chip's vast knowledge and experience. There really is no one to provide this skilled mentoring any longer on a large scale. Only through formal programs can we reach our full potential. Apprenticeship is one reason we have faltered, because anyone can generally do what we do. While that may rankle many feathers, the proof is in the fact that in 27 states in the US it takes one simple requirement to practice as an Optician, a pulse! A second reason for our decline is because we did not embrace education, and by the way, we are the ONLY so-called health care profession that did/does not. We must get in the 20th century at least, and eventually, maybe, sometime before the 22nd we will reach the 21st. While I appreciate the value of guys like Chip, and there were many great ones, the time for change has long past.

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Well put Warren. I vaue both my skills and my education. Without the education I think we are just mechanics or manufacturers with the education we elevate to professionals.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Now how to be a good optician is another matter entirely. A good bench man, with some grinding and polishing skills can be made into a far far better optician than anyone with a whole bunch of initials after thier name. At least until we get to the Darrel Meister level.

Now knowing what can be mounted, what it will do while it's there, how to mount and repair it. This is being an optician. Chip
    Chip. You have your expertise in the lab and I don't believe any optician should or could tell you how to do your job. If I place an order with you, you are in charge of the fabrication. An unless it can't be done, I don't expect to hear from any optical lab tech doing his job, but rather expect the job to be completed to the specifications ordered and then delivered back to me (preferrably cleaned and adjusted:D).
    You are obviously good optical lab technician, so why can't you take appropriate pride in this job description?

Occupation
    You are obviously good optical lab technician, so why can't you take appropriate pride in this job description?
    Read his signature line, it says "Ocularist, Optician, Contact Lens Technician, etc.." He's kinda like me, he does every part of the job.

Banned
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A really good mechanic, is usually a very smart very skilled person. Not too sure just what a "certified technician" is though. I am sure it isn't what a good mechanic is. Sure they change parts and read computers but as far as being machinest, welders, tune-up specialists, body men, painters, they just ain't.

Of course I came from a long line of machinists, mechanics, and watchmakers.

Chip

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Two points to consider:

First- Opticians of the days of yore in America were by and large responsible for not only the initial fit and function of spectacles, but also their fabrication. This is not how it is generally done today. Something like the old tailors and butchers - tradesmen who knew and understood the function of their job as well as the art of the trade (at least as far as the lenses go - we'll leave those old frames and their "style" alone for now!) ;)

We just don't really do it this way anymore. We've got mini-specialists in almost every department: frame buyers, lens and lab representatives, buying groups, opticians, insurance coders and billers, contact lens specialists...the list goes on. There are just too many hats and the industry seems to be spreading itself out so much that it is all but impossible for any one single individual to do it all - and to it effectively well.

Second - The ABO and NCLE are decent tests for a basic level of understanding. I don't think anyone will argue that too harshly. Basic mind you. No doubt countless numbers of us studied briefly on our own, and passed with flying colors. I was scared like crazy when I tested and was done in twenty minutes. Thought I bombed. But scored above average in the three areas of the test. Now, from what I hear, the ABO / NCLE as they exist today are nothing like they were twenty or more years ago. They have gotten more general and far less difficult according to just about every account I hear told from "way back when". So perhaps those tests and their resultant certifications did mean something...once. But any more, they are just basic. Just the status quo. Just an [almost] worthless piece of paper on the wall.

Perhaps a federal certification system with due regulation and oversight would be a good thing for our little piece of the world here...but I fear the reality is we will never see it. The industry is spreading itself out so rapidly that it doesn't appear we will every be able to manage it as we should - as the medical professionals who use it to benefit our patients.

Maybe I'm just not making any sense or reason of the whole thing, and maybe my head is just awash with too many Palin parody's from SNL. But that at least, is my take for now. :)

All the best!

Brian~
    ABOC (weee!)

P.S. All the speakers at Expo West this year were ABOM. Yeah "master" opticians. And most had two or three other strings of initials as well. They were all horrid. Dismal. Most sounded like they had no real clue about the material they were trying to present. Apparently even passing the advanced and masters certifications for ABO / NCLE doesn't make one all that special each and every time either. Again, just my take.
    Last edited by Uilleann; 10-30-2008 at 07:43 PM. Reason: spelling and a couple added words. :)

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    All those titles is what the problem is...

The ONLY way we are going to advance is to require every new optician to pass a comprehensive test and a practical test of what opticianry is suppose to be. In my view an Optician should be versed in eyeglasses dispensing, eyeglasses fabrication, contact lens fitting, low vision optics and knowleadgeable in refraction. Test in all of the above in theory and practice. Such test would be expensive in the mid 1500 or so. The price not only will it force the new optician to truly obtain knowleadge but will promote education as without they would simply fail. Failure in such price range would eliminate lucky go getters that currently pass.

Elevating the ABO to the above would avoid needless state legislation. Lobby that insurance require only certified dispenser in order to get paid. No certification no reimbursement.

Dannyboy:)

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Tests?

Testing has not and will not work. It usually comes after achieving some level of knowledge, and that comes through education for most folks in healthcare. Nurses, Dental, Radiography, Respiratory.........I can't remember any other that does not require some education. I am not asking any of you who have achieved licensure or certification to go back to school (although it would not hurt), I am asking for a better future for those who follow us. It is almost like we fear it. We have tried to define what an Optician is for the 30+ years I have been around, but unfortunately we cannot reach a definition acceptable to all. Why? Because there is no commonality in training and education like every other recognized "profession" on the planet. Until that happens, nothing will change.

Thread Information