Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My new Tranistion 6 lenses don't get very dark.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

My new Tranistion 6 lenses don't get very dark.

I got a pair of poly Transition brown lenses a couple of weeks ago. Inside they are almost clear, but outside they don't get very dark. My husband's older style Transitions get much darker. Yes, his are gray but they don't just seem darker, they are darker.

Mine seem to lighten faster inside but then they never get as dark so of course they would lighten faster.

I didn't expect these to replace my sunglasses but I did expect them to get darker. I don't know what to tell my patients, these new Transitions don't seem as good as the older versions.

Is this something about the Transition 6 lens? Both mine and my husband have AR on our lenses.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Go outside in the daylight.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I miss typed Transition in my heading and I can't change it! :(

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by chip anderson View Post
    Go outside in the daylight.
    Uh, that is where I am talking about, Chip.

I am just wondering if anyone else has noticed that the new Transition doesn't get as dark as the previous ones.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Contact a fellow Optiboarder, Jim Schafer. He works for Transitions and will be able to help!

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i actually only got a call here in ireland from a Px today to say her lenses arent darkening very well either

Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician

Me too

I got a pair of them about a month ago and they don't get very dark either... I think I'd be sore about it if I had paid for them.
    And, yes, I do wear them out in the SUN.
    Wesley S. Scott, MBA, MIS, ABOM, NCLE-AC, LDO - SC & GA

“As our circle of knowledge expands, so does the circumference of darkness surrounding it.” -Albert Einstein

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Contact a fellow Optiboarder, Jim Schafer. He works for Transitions and will be able to help!
    Thanks for the suggestion. I sent him a PM.

Independent Problem Optiholic edKENdance's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I had a pair of poly brown transitions a few years back. Thought the same thing. Didn't get as dark. I just sold my first pair of Trans 6 brown transitions today and this thread is making me all ancy.

Oh well. Any excuse to have a beer I guess.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Do you have A.R on the lens ? If you do you may want to get them remade and do a backside A.R only this should help them get darker .

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by evville View Post
    Do you have A.R on the lens ? If you do you may want to get them remade and do a backside A.R only this should help them get darker .

Being cheeky here. Explain how that would work. :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    It was always my opinion the brown does not get as dark as the gray. Don't know if it's fact.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

transition

ar has nothing to do with the darkening, the problem has always been the poly lenses, they never have turned as dark, put them in cr-39 and they will work fine, backside ar coat on a transition is pointless

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    ar has nothing to do with the darkening, the problem has always been the poly lenses, they never have turned as dark, put them in cr-39 and they will work fine, backside ar coat on a transition is pointless

Thanks Harry. The lenses I ordered today are a brown gen 6 in a 1.6.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by harry a saake View Post
    I do remember reading somewhere that AR, both front and back:bbg:, actually enhances the properties of transitions. Remember also, looking at the difference between brown and grey is not effective, put them in a light meter.

This should be move to the transitions section for Jim S to chime in with the real expertise.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Jubilee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I will say I have had many patients who have had transitions in the past comment about how they don't seem to get as dark as their prior pairs. Many times I have had to "enhance" them a bit and sit them under a UV lamp to help activate them for patients.

Though so far far we only had to remake one pair. On that one, even after sitting them under a UV lamp for 15 mins they were a Gray 2 at best..
    "Some believe in destiny, and some believe in fate. But I believe that happiness is something we create."-Something More by Sugarland

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Material has a lot to do with the darkening of Transitions. Try putting a T6 Cr39 and a T6 Poly under a UV light together, the poly will be a half shade lighter. Whether it's brown or gray.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKim View Post
    Material has a lot to do with the darkening of Transitions. Try putting a T6 Cr39 and a T6 Poly under a UV light together, the poly will be a half shade lighter. Whether it's brown or gray.
    So what you're saying is that polycarb is the best optical material ever made?

:bbg:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    My Trans 6 get very dark. They are fast, clear indoors and almost a Grey 3 in bright sun. Very comfortable compared to Transitions 5, Sunsensors, Instashades, LifeRx, IndoChromic, Colormatic, PGX. . . I've tried them all.

They are poly. I also have a pair in Trivex Trans 6. Same story, I'm very happy. As I understand it the Trans 6 has been out for 6 months now, so we have dispensed quite a few pair. Far less complaints this summer compared to previous summers. I think the only complaints we had were on PhotoGrey EXtra and Trivex Trans in FT28. The later are obviously not Trans 6. They are not quite clear indoors.

Those that know me know that I don't work for anyone mentioned above.

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by edKENdance View Post
    So what you're saying is that polycarb is the best optical material ever made?

:bbg:
    AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Yes, yes, that is what the overlords tell me to say...Poly. Is. The. Best. *Kim's brain has encountered a serious error--Send a report to Microsoft?*(click)*Send*

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Jim Schafer sent me a PM and said he would post in this thread tomorrow. He seemed surprised my lenses didn't get darker, he says the brown is only a couple % points lighter then the gray. Yes, my lenses are poly but my husband has poly lenses, too.

And yes, they have AR and so does my husband's. I know a while ago that AR effected the changing of Transition lenses for the worse, but I think that is all in the past.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper We took brown transitions off the menu!

Quote Originally Posted by Happylady View Post
    I got a pair of poly Transition brown lenses a couple of weeks ago. Inside they are almost clear, but outside they don't get very dark. My husband's older style Transitions get much darker. Yes, his are gray but they don't just seem darker, they are darker.

Mine seem to lighten faster inside but then they never get as dark so of course they would lighten faster.

I didn't expect these to replace my sunglasses but I did expect them to get darker. I don't know what to tell my patients, these new Transitions don't seem as good as the older versions.

Is this something about the Transition 6 lens? Both mine and my husband have AR on our lenses.
    Every pair we sold the clients complained and we changed them to gray. I have read all the spec's and the brown does not perform as well as the grey, regardless of the numbers they post.

I have told my staff to tell people the brown does not work well and if they want it there are no returns on it for a grey one; why sell aproduct you know does not perform as well.

The brown looks grey anyway!

Craig

Optical Clairvoyant OptiBoard Bronze Supporter Andrew Weiss's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by LilKim View Post
    Hmm. So this explains why my GT2 1.67 T6 doesn't get as dark as my Definity CR39 T6?

I agree also with Obxeyeguy: my experience is that the brown never has been quite as dark as the grey. Thanks to JIm S. for verifying that this is true, even if it is only by a few percentage points.
    Andrew

"One must remember that at the end of the road, there is a path" --- Fortune Cookie

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    Every pair we sold the clients complained and we changed them to gray. I have read all the spec's and the brown does not perform as well as the grey, regardless of the numbers they post.

This has not been my experience.

The brown looks grey anyway!

I agree!

Craig
    Craig:

I haven't decided on which edger yet.

barry

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Hi Everyone,
    First of all, make sure you have Transitions VI lenses. I receive weekly shipment reports to labs from the mass lens manufacturer's and can tell you there are some Transitions V still being reported (down to a trickle, but still there). We have to support this technology through the rest of this year.

As far as the Transitions VI Gray and Brown, across all materials, the performance is the same. Brown is a higher contrast color, the hue alone will make it look lighter than the Gray at any transmission.

AR enhances the product, and ON BOTH SIDES, something like 70% of all Transitions lenses dispensed are AR lenses. AR does not hinder darkness.

As far as the brown looking gray, that was the mark on Transitions V brown. Being a global company, Europe wanted a colder brown for Transitions V. They loved it across the pond, here in North America, it was not as well received. Through after purchase survey's we found patients liked looking through it, but not the cosmetic appearance.
    We changed Transitions VI brown to a warmer brown because we found North Americans considered Next Generation Brown as the standard for a photochromic brown. By saying we raised the contrast for Transitions VI brown, what we did was re-enter the neutral brown color space. It is not an orangey high contrast.

Transitions VI dyes are fast acting and sensitive to the amount of available light energy. In indirect light they will adjust faster to the condition, that being the lens does not need to be fully darkend. The Next Generation Dyes will hold color longer in the same conditions. In poly and other non imbibed materials, Transitions VI should remain darker than Transitions V in indirect light.

Happylady wrote something that I have heard before and I understand why there are questions. She understands the lens is not a replacement for sunwear but expected it to be darker.
    I always ask this question to the patient, when you realized the lens was not as dark as you thought it was (say you caught a reflection and were surprized, or someone may point out the lens is not very dark) Were you comfortable wearing them?
    9 out of 10 times the response is, yes I was comfortable but the lens should have been darker.

I hope this post helps you understand the technology better. Happylady,
    please when you have time.
    best to all
    Jim
    Jim Schafer
    Retired From PPG Industries/
    Transitions Optical, Inc.

When you win, say nothing. When you lose, say even less.
    Paul Brown

Thread Information