Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is 8 years old too young to shoot???

Compulsive Truthteller OptiBoard Gold Supporter Uncle Fester's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Is 8 years old too young to shoot???

Should 8 years old be considered too young to fire automatic weapons even with adult supervision?

Should Massachusetts change its gun laws so this would be illegal for 8 year olds?

What age is old enough to handle automatic weapons?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-28-2008 at 02:57 PM.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seems to be okay in many parts of the world!

{Insert picture of way young radical holding an AK-47}

I question the reasoning behind having someone that young handling such a weapon.

Are we talking fully automatic firearms? Or are we talking of (semi) automatic weapons?
    I think the young should be introduced to firearms, be taught safe and respectful handling, be taught proper techniques, etc, all under adult supervision.

But an automatic weapon? You got to wonder.............

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Seems to be okay in many parts of the world!

{Insert picture of way young radical holding an AK-47}

I question the reasoning behind having someone that young handling such a weapon.

Are we talking fully automatic firearms? Or are we talking of (semi) automatic weapons?
    I think the young should be introduced to firearms, be taught safe and respectful handling, be taught proper techniques, etc, all under adult supervision.

But an automatic weapon? You got to wonder.............
    I agree it's a tool like any other, there are no laws on screwdrivers and they could be just as dangerous in the wrong hands. It's better to teach kids to be the right hands when handling firearms otherwise you end up with scenarios where kids go to a friends house and shoot their best friend or worse themselves.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I was using semi- automatic rifles by the age of 8. I agree with the others, it's a TOOL. When used properly, it's a good one.
    Last edited by Jacqui; 10-28-2008 at 10:02 AM. Reason: Added, Deleted, Changed

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If we are talking about truly automatic weapons, I wonder how many times this is happening to make a law change even come up?

How many class III permits are there in Mass. anyway?

How many of those holding such permits are allowing 8 year olds to fling lead?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A gun club sponsored an automatic fire event last weekend and an 8 year old was killed when the mini-uzi he was shooting apparently recoiled flipped around and shot him in the head. His father (an ER administrator?) was with him and the supervisor but it just struck me as irresponsible to let a kid rock and roll with this kind of fire power at that age.

Now the legislature is falling over themselves to restrict these events and limit the minimum ages. I was wondering how young is too young.

Maybe someone can post a link to an article on it. I think AP picked it up.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/americas/7694560.stm

Did it work?
    Last edited by Uncle Fester; 10-28-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: tweak, spelling...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Wow!! A fully automatic? I thought those were outlawed. I don't know if I should be firing that. I agree with the others, if being trained properly by a responsible adult, the should be able to shoot semi autos. Starting with a 22LR as opposed to a 45ACP might be a good idea.
    I wish someone had taught me at that age. As an adult, I am still learning from those much more experienced in firearms than I, but I am learning.

Occupation
    What an awful thing to happen. That father must be falling apart. :(

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Wow!! A fully automatic? I thought those were outlawed.
    You can own and fire them with the correct license or permit. I believe they are considered a Class III Firearm. There are many of these firearms owned and used RESPONSIBLY.

This is a case where failed judgement proved to be a horrible tragedy.

This is a terrible and tragic event.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Is 8 years old too young to shoot???

My first reaction to this was "why would anyone WANT to shoot an eight year old?
    ...Just ask me...

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    My first reaction to this was "why would anyone WANT to shoot an eight year old?
    ok, how about 13? :p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by braheem24 View Post
    ok, how about 13? :p
    There have been some 13 year olds that I've wanted to.... but no.
    ...Just ask me...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    Wow!! A fully automatic? I thought those were outlawed. I don't know if I should be firing that. I agree with the others, if being trained properly by a responsible adult, the should be able to shoot semi autos. Starting with a 22LR as opposed to a 45ACP might be a good idea.
    I wish someone had taught me at that age. As an adult, I am still learning from those much more experienced in firearms than I, but I am learning.

Here are a few links to help!

http://fullautofun.homestead.com/page36.html

http://www.atf.treas.gov/firearms/index.htm

http://fullautofun.homestead.com/

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    I saw this on our local news. I can't imagine....
    but regarding age, I'm not going to be allowing it with my kids but then again gun shows aren't our thing. I guess if it is, then you just have to be realistic that accidents happen and when it involves a mini uzi you're not going to walk away with just a scrape. I personally wouldn't want to take that chance.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Mission Accomplished...

Quote Originally Posted by Spexvet View Post
    My goal on headlines is to catch your eye!

I'm still waiting to see if anyone thinks there should be age restrictions. I'd lean toward 16 with a parent (and instructor) present.

Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Fester View Post
    Should 8 years old be considered too young to fire automatic weapons even with adult supervision?

Should Massachusetts change its gun laws so this would be illegal?

Depends on the maturity of the child but more importantly the maturity of the supervising adult.

No, especially in the case of Massachusetts.

Again, it depends on the maturity of the individual. There are quite a few OptiBoarders who should stay away from hot or sharp objects much less firearms.

OptiBoard Apprentice Nikki McGee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I don't think there shoud be a law regarding the age of a shooter.
    If children are going to be around firearms it is important that they understand how they work. I think as the parent it's important to know where your child's skill level is and make sure they aren't using a firearm with more power than they handle.

OptiBoardaholic
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I read about that tragedy. Here in B.C, a 13 year old boy was accidently shot with a bb gun last week, and died. I was shocked to hear of a fatality with a bb gun, but there it is.
    BTW, when I was 10, my grandfather would hand me a .22 and send me out to shoot gophers on his Alberta property, something that horrifies my wife. Different time, different place. I figure when a kid is old enough to learn safe use of power tools, about 13, that's also a good age to begin closely supervised firearms training.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Should Massachusetts change its gun laws so this would be illegal?

* I think 8 years old is too young to handle a tool of this type.

* No.

* Depends on the maturity of the child and the maturity of the adult. I think physical size, dexterity, eye hand coordination, experience, and many other things factor in.

I wonder how many children in Mass. die each year in/on swimming pool accidents, mini-bikes, locked in cars, playing with matches, playing hopscotch, or any other possible means of termination you could think of. Should there be laws on all of these possible scenarios as well?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Should Massachusetts change its gun laws so this would be illegal for 8 year olds?

Fezz- I qualified my second question. Should have made it more specific.

Regarding your other scenarios I believe in most every instance it is illegal to say, not fence in a pool or leave a child unattended in a locked car. We put them in carseats and make them wear seatbelts in cars and helmets on bikes all to try to prevent future tragedies. I agree we cannot legislate against stupidity and other senseless tragedies be they by guns or otherwise but perhaps machine guns in the hands of 8 year olds should be illegal.

A law of a minimum age of say 13 would have prevented this horrible event from happening imo.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    A law of a minimum age of say 13 would have prevented this horrible event from happening imo.

How?

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Does a law stating that anybody under the age of 21 may not consume alcohol prevent teens from boozing up?

What if those same teens then decide to vroom around town in a missle that we call a vehicle, which there is also a law against, would that prevent the death and bedlam that can occur?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Does a law stating that anybody under the age of 21 may not consume alcohol prevent teens from boozing up?

What if those same teens then decide to vroom around town in a missle that we call a vehicle, which there is also a law against, would that prevent the death and bedlam that can occur?
    So should it be legal? A law abiding gun club checking for age would have prevented him from legally participating and he would be disappointed he could only shoot semi automatic guns but he would be alive and his father would not be in what must be a living he!! for him right now.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    The point I am trying to get at:

The father and gun club used terrible, very poor judgement.

I think that there are many 13, 23, 48, 93 year olds that are not mature enough emotionally and physically to handle such a machine. I wonder if there was a law, if this father would have let Jr. shoot the gun on the farm, at hunting camp, or something like that. Sorta like the mom and dads that let Skippy and Suzie have a beer or two....as long as they are at home with them?

I wonder if this father would have let this 8 year old handle another dangerous tool: Like a chainsaw?

This is a tragic, sad story. Regardless of the age of the child, no law or rule will mend the wounds of those touched by this.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    When I allow adults who are not familiar with the characteristics of fully automatic weapons to fire any of my Class III firearms, I only load three rounds in the magazine the first time. This allows them to experience the recoil and muzzle climb prior to turning them loose with a full magazine. On the second magazine, they get to shoot six rounds. Even then several leaves have been removed from trees. This is especially true with the Thompson.
    A fully automatic mini-uzi is a handful and does not behave as portrayed on TV. To turn an eight year old loose with one is begging for disaster.
    Roy

Thread Information