Thread: Marketing ideas for the optical retail shop

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper Marketing ideas for the optical retail shop

Marketing ideas for the optical retail shop

Dear all,

I'm wondering if you might have any ideas about marketing at this difficult time that all of us are going through?
    Have you tried anything that worked in your optical shop?

Please let me know.

Regards, M

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Marketing ideas ...................

Quote Originally Posted by i care guy View Post
    Marketing ideas for the optical retail shop

I'm wondering if you might have any ideas about marketing at this difficult time that all of us are going through?
    Promote anything the competitors hase not done yet. Repairs.................tinting of old glasses................. and promote Rx sunglasses with no charge tints

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    We found sending out postcards with a 20.00 coupon attached and to a specific zipcode worked better than anything else. People will bring in 20.00 cash while they tend to overlook one that say's 20% off. Postcards cost too much? Try an eyecatching newspaper or marketing mag ad with a definite local target area.

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    I was always under the belief that during tough times you should try different things and introduce new products. For instance, get into RX sunglasses, low visual aides and so forth. The key thing is you have to replace lost sales with new products to make up for those sales. We have purchased really inexpensive sunglass frames, and can put tinted lenses in them. Second sale, and people love them. There are people still doing well and still have a need, do not ignore them.

Chris is correct that you have to watch out for people wanting to save money. If they want lenses only, do not make it a tough option. Help them out. Suggest putting sun lenses in their old frames. Give a good warranty to make them feel safe.

You also have to remember that even though times are tough, people still have to be granted all options. You do not know their financial situation, so do not assume. Do not forget to offer those ARs, high indexes, nicer PALs and so forth. The worst they can say is no, and you go back to the original offer.

Finally, for advertising, this is something that should always be a focus. This is a strategy that has to be designed when times are good. The biggest thing that will get people to come to your practice is if they know who you are. Think about it, if I asked you the top person that you thought of for a lawyer, insurance salesperson, carpet store, blinds store, ect, you will probably go to the place that you think of first. I argue that as business people, we have to have a sound promotional strategy that works throughout the whole year.

OptiBoard Professional Caroline's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I've found that making up a bunch of fliers and putting them in some local stores works pretty well. Like at the hair salon down the street. And we'd put their fliers on our counter.

Also, free or discounted eyeglasses to a few select local business owners. Makes for good relationships in the community. Plus I get free pizza that way. :)
    Caroline, L.O.

If you suffer from severe nonlinear waterfowl issues, you don't have your ducks in a row.

Rising Star
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

Dear all opticians,

Thanks for your replies and wonderful suggestions.
    I really appreciate it.

Please keep them coming.

Regards, M

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    We normally send recall postcards, but in the past month, we started calling patients at home in the evening. We called patients that had vision coverage in the past and haven't been in for at least 2 years. Our rationale is that patients with coverage are more likely to come in than people without it. We have scheduled almost 30 appointments and about 20 have kept them so far. We will continue to generate these phone call lists throughout the winter. It's working.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    During any down time, set up appointments at local senior centers to do free adjustments and repairs. Take an appointment book with you, display frames that would appeal to seniors, give away lens cloths or pens with your locations phone number. You can promote your business while helping out the seniors in your community. You can also do this at any large companies whose insurance you accept.....set up a little repair/cleaning booth in their breakroom for a couple hours during their lunch.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I seen one store in Minneapolis that was offering 6 months free financing, after asking the manager I was told that sales were up 30 - 40% mostly because of it. I don't know if this will work for everyone, but it may be something to look at.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I seen one store in Minneapolis that was offering 6 months free financing...

That's pretty funny!

Buy now, pay later!

Hmm...maybe we should do that with houses?

:hammer:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I was leary of the idea, but...

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    I was leary of the idea, but...
    It's a credit card company. Of course you don't trust the consumer to pay later. The finance company pays you now, minus 7% admin fee.

It's good for those people that ask "Can I make payments for 3 months". If the finance company won't approve them - then you know you shouldn't.

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Marketing ideas in economic downturn

You really do have to put yourself out there even more than usual during tough times. Direct mailers are always your best option. (Such as a trifold brochure that is mailed to surrounding zip codes, certain income brackets, etc.) And you have to boldly feature things like financing plans that allow people to get services done while spreading payment out over a few months. Talk about insurance. Aggressive offers like "$40 off your visit". I have found postcards don't seem to work well. They're cheap and easy which makes them tempting though. Have the local newspaper run a story about your practice (introducing a new technology or new team member, those kinds of stories). Even if you have to buy the space to run the "story." It's advertising without being an ad. Very effective. Make sure you use touchy feely photos of the office team with patients. Hire an agency like www.cre8ivemarketingservices.com to coordinate your campaign. Place referral cards or brochures in the office (so your patients can bring friends to the office and get a gift like movie tickets).

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by BoardChat View Post
    Hire an agency like www.cre8ivemarketingservices.com to coordinate your campaign.

Thanks Gary, but most of us are clever enough to see through thinly (very) veiled sales pitches. You'd think a big company like yours would be a little more savvy...
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter Judy Canty's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Ditto!

From the Posting Guidelines:

In order to post items and services for sale in this forum, you will need to first purchase one of the OptiBoard Subscriptions available in under Paid Subscriptions in your User CP. After this, you can post in the Optical Marketplace forum.
    Please identify all potential conflicts of interest clearly. If you are commenting on an issue or product that you have a financial interest in, you must identify this relationship. It is also all right to mention your product or service in response to another message. All I ask is that you do this without turning it into a major advertisement, and that you follow the previous point and identify your relationship to this product.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you are in a town with a smaller newspaper offer to do a free column about eyecare/eyes/glasses. It could be every week or even once a month.

Thread Information