Thread: Kodak Isp lens cracking in drill mounts

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Kodak Isp lens cracking in drill mounts

Is anybody having the same problem I have with these kodak Isp lens craking when they are being :angry: mounted in the Marchon Airlock or the Sillouhte frames

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

What is ISP?

I am not familiar with this material?
    Craig

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Not sure the material or age of said material you're using, the Rx, final finished thickness and the drill points or any hint of what may or may not have been or is being used to clean the lenses in question. That being said, I have had far more problems with the Marchon Air Lock design, and almost none at all with Silhouettes. So much so that we've dropped the Marchon's from two of my practices outright.

Occupation
    The kodak is a trivex material the problem is the front of the lens is plastic this being the transition part the back is trivex when you edge the lens as a driil job you can see this .The marchon Airlock cracks more than the sillohette but the other problem is even if they make it to the optician some do not know how to adjust a drill mount and they crack that way. Also the stress over time can cause it to crack . This is the problem that I am having I do 60 drill jobs a day I use the CNC optidrill I change my drill bits evey two days .:D

Bad address email on file LilKim's Avatar
    Occupation
    You might want to adjust your Trivex settings in your Optidrill (I use one too). Have it set to take less material than poly each time the bit goes into the lens (I totally forgot what that term is!), that should reduce the amount of stress you're putting on those drill holes. You might want to try different drill bits. We started using one from Optek that has a "fishtail" tip, which keeps the poly and trivex swarf from wrapping itself and melting around the drill bit. It's saved me countless lenses, as well as adjusting the trivex settings.

Deleted1234

Do you have contact info for Optek.

Last edited by Deleted1234; 10-20-2010 at 06:28 PM.

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper isp........................................

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    I am not familiar with this material?
    Craig
    Neither am I. Google refers you directly to this thread........so that is a dead end................it also refers Isp as internet service provider.

www.signetarmorlite.com makes Kodak lenses, and they do have one in Trivex as per their website.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

I think you are confused about the material being used?

Quote Originally Posted by evville View Post
    The kodak is a trivex material the problem is the front of the lens is plastic this being the transition part the back is trivex when you edge the lens as a driil job you can see this .The marchon Airlock cracks more than the sillohette but the other problem is even if they make it to the optician some do not know how to adjust a drill mount and they crack that way. Also the stress over time can cause it to crack . This is the problem that I am having I do 60 drill jobs a day I use the CNC optidrill I change my drill bits evey two days .:D
    There is no such thing as a plastic trivex combo lens by Kodak?
    I will forward the info to the correct people at kodak and get back to you.

Craig

Bad address email on file jherman's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

imbibed

think evvile's refering to the imbibed portion of the lens, when he mentioned cr-39?

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Thumbs up You are on the right track!

Quote Originally Posted by LilKim View Post
    You might want to adjust your Trivex settings in your Optidrill (I use one too). Have it set to take less material than poly each time the bit goes into the lens (I totally forgot what that term is!), that should reduce the amount of stress you're putting on those drill holes. You might want to try different drill bits. We started using one from Optek that has a "fishtail" tip, which keeps the poly and trivex swarf from wrapping itself and melting around the drill bit. It's saved me countless lenses, as well as adjusting the trivex settings.
    There should be no difference in the cracking of lenses with either mounting system; if you are using Trivex, there is no cracking! We do many drill mounts and the we use as much trivex as possible- phoenix is the real favorite-the rest is poly polarized and 1.67.

With drilling at the proper angles, there should not be a cracking issue.

The drill bit with the "fishtail tip" is the bit of choice. We just started to order them from www.precisebits.com and they are 1/3 the price. i ordered 10 of them for $100 delivered, we were paying almost $40 per bit.

The correct material and bit at the proper base curve = zero breakage.

Hope this helps and i will find out what ISP is.

Craig

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    I think Kodak ISP might mean InstaShades, which is different than Transitions brand.
    RT

Occupation

Kodak ISP

That is correct ISP is the insta shades .We are getting alot of them now because of the Kodak Clear A.R coating that seems to be the big push now until some new A.R coating comes out .:cheers::idea:

Occupation

Drill settings

I know what setting your talking about on the CNC optidrill it is called the phoenix setting .I had the drill bit you are talking about "fishtail" but I got them from Salem I did not like them because some of the drill holes were coming out big .

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    There is no InstaShades in Trivex. InstaShades, per the Signet Armorlite website, comes in 1.56, 1.60, and Polycarbonate. I'm not too familiar with the 1.56 and 1.60, but it wouldn't surprise me if those materials are not ideal for drilling. If you insist on InstaShades photochromics in drills, you might do best to stick with polycarbonate.

Other manufacturers do make Trivex Transitions in a variety of designs, that are compatible with a wide variety of AR coats.
    RT

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post

Other manufacturers do make Trivex Transitions in a variety of designs, that are compatible with a wide variety of AR coats.

You didn't want to mention yours? Breath of fresh air, compared to many others on this board.

RT is too humble to mention that Hoya has Trivex Transitions with Super HI (its AR). Very good lens. May be your solution.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    For Life: Actually, I was just trying to give Transitions a plug, since I lost a bet to Jim Schafer over the Sox/Rays series...
    RT

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by evville View Post
    That is correct ISP is the insta shades .We are getting alot of them now because of the Kodak Clear A.R coating that seems to be the big push now until some new A.R coating comes out .:cheers::idea:
    If it's the Instashades 1.557, you should never use that for drill mounts, it's too brittle and will certainly break. The 1.60 version is better, but you should use the Trivex for drill mounts, and that doesn't come in Instashades.
    And I can confirm that Instashades does indeed lighten up way faster than Transitions.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Thread Information