Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Old Fashioned Skills!

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Silver Supporter Barry Santini's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry,

The main lab I use is part of a large company that buys labs and lens companies like I used to buy penny candy when I was (am?) a kid.

Don't tell me my lab bill has to rise to pay for quality lab people...Rather, Its the company's profits that need to go DOWN!

Barrs

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    Who's willing to pay more fro their lenses? 10% more, 20% more? I can't give you an exact figure but you will definately pay more for lenses if the lab has nothign but quality people. It's the same reason why you don't expect a DVD player from walmart to last froever and have every option. Their are labs out there that provide quality service and quality products in a timely fashio they're just not cheap.

Oh and bash away I'm not offended by this thread, I knwo the potential problems on most jobs I run and I watch for correct most before they happen, I learned this not from books but from experience.

I don't think anyone is saying we can't do or correct the errors it's just that these errors are baby stuff. It's what you should have been taught the first week on the job not given a pacifier and told don't worry about it they will correct it at the stores. It used to be called taking PRIDE in ones work and not trying to shove a bad job down someone's throat. You ever see a string job where the string is almost 70% of the way out because they didn't know how to calibrate the depth so most of the string would lay flat on the surface or the crap that comes in because they don't clean the safety bevels. I could go on on. It's pitiful ! just my take

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    Quote Originally Posted by Barry Santini View Post
    Harry,

The main lab I use is part of a large company that buys labs and lens companies like I used to buy penny candy when I was (am?) a kid.

Don't tell me my lab bill has to rise to pay for quality lab people...Rather, Its the company's profits that need to go DOWN!

Barrs
    I'm sure that's what the customers that buy online say. :p

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post
    I'm sure that's what the customers that buy online say. :p
    Touche!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey, I was thinkin'...

Does the title of this thread remind anyone of the ol' Guild of Prescription Opticians, and what their standards were, and how they may apply to today's market?

Thoughts?

Barry

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I wish they still applied

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field
    http://www.oaa.org/index.php?id=19

The Guild is still alive I don't know about kicking. They even produced a book Professional Dispensing I think mines on loan but a decent book. Unfortunately they are comprised of independents and their are fewer independent opticians today than there once was so their membership pool is shrinking. I am curious why more people don't belong? I belive most of the independents here would qualify.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Harry:

Last time I checked the Guild had lowered it's standards and allowed prescriber owned dispensaries to be members. Once upon a time it was not so. But then once upon a time the standards for OMD's were different so independents were more numerous and more affluent so they could support the Guild. Sadly this is no longer the case.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice Nikki McGee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It's nice to know it hasn't just been us- it seems like almost every 3 jobs we get back has 1 that needs to be redone. We've changed our primary lab and are having more success, but it seems ridiculous the number of jobs that we get that never should have left the lab.
    ABOC

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    According to the August Shared Lab Stats that we subscribe to, a job is 2.5 times more likely to be remade because of "Dr. Redo" than "Lab Redo". The stats compile data from 120 labs nationwide for benchmarking purposes.

"Lab Redo" is a job remade because of lab error (off power, off axis, etc.). "Dr. Redo" is a collection of remake reasons that have to do with some sort of change in the Rx, or ordering errors. "Dr. Redo" should more appropriately be named "ECP Redo", but it's sort of a historic term. The important point is, however, that Dr./ECP Redo's outnumber lab errors by more than 2 to 1.

If you are truly experiencing a 33% redo rate at more than one lab, then the most likely reason would seem to be an ordering problem. Results so far outside the norm should be examined very carefully.
    RT

OptiBoard Apprentice Nikki McGee's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by RT View Post
    According to the August Shared Lab Stats that we subscribe to, a job is 2.5 times more likely to be remade because of "Dr. Redo" than "Lab Redo". The stats compile data from 120 labs nationwide for benchmarking purposes.

"Lab Redo" is a job remade because of lab error (off power, off axis, etc.). "Dr. Redo" is a collection of remake reasons that have to do with some sort of change in the Rx, or ordering errors. "Dr. Redo" should more appropriately be named "ECP Redo", but it's sort of a historic term. The important point is, however, that Dr./ECP Redo's outnumber lab errors by more than 2 to 1.

If you are truly experiencing a 33% redo rate at more than one lab, then the most likely reason would seem to be an ordering problem. Results so far outside the norm should be examined very carefully.
    I work in an office where about 60% of our patients are in Vision Therapy, and many of whom wear perscribed prism. The problems are mostly with these prisms, and axis issues. Word in our area is that our former lab has had a lot of staff turn around lately- just a learning curve? I am fairly confident that we are dispensing properly, and our perscribing docs have very few Rx changes.
    ABOC

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Jacqui,

Thank you so much for the kind words. It's always a boost in my day to receive such a nice compliment from a colleague.

have a wonderful day :)

BB

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

For Billy Brock

Mr. Brock:

While you are deserving of all the kind words and praise.
    Don't just bask in the Sun, share with us how to do something!

Chip

Thread Information