Thread: Passed ABO but no raise

Banned

Blue Jumper

I recently passed the ABO and became licensed but the Doctor I work for is not willing to give me a raise. He says that in our state that I can work under his license and there is no need for him to have a licensed optician. I currently make approximately $14 and hour and feel that I should make more. I completely run the dispensary, ordering, inventory, accounts receivable, etc. I am not sure if I could go to another office and make more money. Could someone give me some advice on National wage averages for opticians and if I should change offices.
    Thanks Mike
    P.S. I used spell check!

On the Sunset Tour! Framebender's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Mike,

Aren't you the "title monger" guy?!? Not that it effects my response. I was just curious.

From talking with my sister & her son $15.00 an hour seems to be the going wage for retail Opticians in their areas of California. Of course they aren't living in the wine country.

Could you start a temporary service or something like that?? I ran one out of Oakland for awhile & did real good. I'd think that if you were willing to travel Marin, Alameda & maybe San Francisco counties you could make a decent living.

The reason I say this is my nephew is doing it in the LA area & is charging between $20.00 & $25.00 an hour depending on the situation. The down side is he has to pay his own taxes & insurance. The plus side is alot of things are deductible.

Fortunately he married a financial planner & not another Optician!

Good luck to you!! I hope you have fun & make money!!

Frame"Dr's Will Always Be The Dr"bender

sub specie aeternitatis Pete Hanlin's Avatar
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer

Mike,
    When you said...
    "I am not sure if I could go to another office and make more money.
    ...you hit the nail on the head.

If you can't go anywhere else in town to make more money, then you are making as much as an Optician in your town can expect to make.

I'm sure that an Optician in New York City makes more than I do here in Tallahassee. I'm also sure that a few of the salespeople in the optical chain here in town make more than I do (when you factor in their commission). However, I basically work 9-5, I enjoy the people I work with and for, I like this town, and I'm happy with what I earn. When I decide I'm unsatisfied with my salary, benefits, etc. (which it sounds like you may be), I'll negotiate a different arrangement with the doctors or find different employment.

All I'm saying is: you can't expect your employer to pay for services s/he doesn't require. As your OD has pointedly noted, he doesn't require a licensed Optician. If I were you, I would request a raise based on the merits of your work- not your certifications. Has the bottom line increased? Is the office more efficient? Is the doctor working less to make more? These are the assets you bring to the practice, and your salary should reflect the quality of your work.

To summarize: If he can't replace you without spending more, then you're worth more. Otherwise, you may have to move on if you desire an increase in remuneration. At that point, the doctor may or may not find s/he can't replace you without spending more...

Pete

Master OptiBoarder Texas Ranger's Avatar
    Mike, considering the cost of living where you are, I think you're being taken advantage of! If the doctor just wants a non-qualified order taker and has no appreciation of optical skills, you'd be paid about right. you're probably doing too good a job . opticians functioning in your position should be fairly compensated for what they do do! Most of the people I know doing what you're doing, get about a grand a month more bucks! And it costs a whole lot less to live here! Believe me "someone" will pay more, just find them first! Does the doc pay your insurance premiums, etc.?

Bad address email on file

Question

The only true way to determine your worth in the communities you would be willing to work is to go out and apply for positions with companies you are interested in working. It sounds like a lot of work, but you have nothing to lose and potentially something to gain.

Often times in this job market, your current employer is more likely to have a real discussion with you when he finds other companies are interested in your abilities and willing to pay you more to work for them.

Whatever you decide...good luck!

------------------
    ck

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Redhot Jumper

Dear Mike,
    Congratulations on getting your license. WELCOME TO THE REAL WORLD ! For all the hoopla about being a license in this state, in the end,financial it no big deal! Where I live, there are LDO who are going aroung asking $18.00 an hour who don't have half the training and knowledge that I do!
    Don't get me wrong, having a license is a great thing, but when I need one, I'll HIRE one.

EYERX

Idea

Ihave been a licenced optician in New Jersey as well as ABOC and NCLC I started at 17 an hr and now i make 20 not mch for cost of living increases my suggestion GET OUT WHILE THERES STILL TIME!!!!!!!!

------------------

Bad address email on file Rich R's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Hello Mike,

Congrats on passing your ABO, the same happened to me about 10 years ago when I passed the ABO, my employer said that me passing the ABO was strictly for myself and not any benefit to the company, he would like for me to hang it in the office though.
    I did finally change jobs after a couple of years for more money, it wasn't easy leaving a place where I worked for 16 years and felt at home.
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    Rich R

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If you must work in a doctors office (all opticians should be independents who make at least $ 50.00 hr. or 25 +10%). But to make money in a doctor's office you gotta have good legs, a good bust, and low cut mini dress.

Bad address email on file stephanie's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Congratulations on passing the ABO. As far as pay, I personally feel that you should have received a raise for your accomplishment. Unfortunately, not all share in my opinion. I did get a raise, but it really wasn't worth mentioning.
    Again Congrats!!!
    Steph

Thread Information