Thread: New Computer

One of the worst people here
    Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

New Computer

So I have to buy a new computer, like soon. I am going with a laptop (currently what I have). I do not play high tech games like WOW or DOOM or whatever you young whippersnappers play. Basically, I need it for my everyday home entertainment, and I will need Office. I will probably get Vista too, so I need a system that can handle it.

So I went to Dell's website (have not decided if I am getting a Dell) and this is some of the questions I have:

- What type of processor should I get? They have three dual cores (T5850, T8100, and T3200.

- For Vista, should I get basic, Premium, or Ultimate?

- What is a dual channel? Is that RAM? What amount should I get?

- What are the differences in wireless cards?

- What will Bluetooth do for me other than work with a headset?

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    With the needs you describe, I don't think you need to worry about which model processor you're selecting. Any dual core processor will be miles ahead of any processor you purchased more than two or three years ago. I'd save a few bucks and stick with the standard offering.

Don't get the basic version of any operating system. Don't bother with the 'Home' version of any operating system. Do what the business professionals do, go with the business version or go ultimate. Your vendor support will go much longer over time. See Microsoft's comparison:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windows/win...s/default.aspx

By the way, Windows XP pro is still available at Dell with their business systems. A lot of businesses have been reluctant to convert to Vista even after Dell originally stopped distributing it. Dell was forced by the marketplace to continue offering XP pro (now listed as a 'downgrade' - but in the opinion of many it is still an excellent choice.) Check them out at:http://www.dell.com/business/laptops?~ck=mn#subcats=&navla=80770~0~1791344&navidc=Operati ng%20System&navValc=Vista%20with%20Downgrade%20to%20XP&a=807 70~0~1791344

Dual channel is RAM and speeds up your system significantly. when dual channel memory is enabled, the motherboard will actually speed up to take advantage of it.

Wireless cards won't vary a great deal and you probably won't need to
    consider any upgrade with that one. If you are more comfortable with the configuration of one you currently use, perhaps that might make your decision for you.

Bluetooth will allow you to operate a lot of peripherals in wireless mode. It's a nice feature to consider if you are interested in system flexibility over time.

There are many laptops out there for well under $1K. Check out all the current models that Best Buy for Business has to offer. Somehow they seem to have more than anyone else: http://www.bestbuybusiness.com/bbfb/...rFrameInStock=
    Good luck!

Occupation
    What is the verdict on Vista?

Objection! OptiBoard Gold Supporter shanbaum's Avatar
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by For-Life View Post
    What is the verdict on Vista?

Guilty!

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    So I have to buy a new computer, like soon. I am going with a laptop (currently what I have). I do not play high tech games like WOW or DOOM or whatever you young whippersnappers play. Basically, I need it for my everyday home entertainment, and I will need Office. I will probably get Vista too, so I need a system that can handle it.

So I went to Dell's website (have not decided if I am getting a Dell) and this is some of the questions I have:

- What type of processor should I get? They have three dual cores (T5850, T8100, and T3200.

- For Vista, should I get basic, Premium, or Ultimate?

- What is a dual channel? Is that RAM? What amount should I get?

- What are the differences in wireless cards?

- What will Bluetooth do for me other than work with a headset?
    Not sure if you are dead set on a Windows machine, but I would seriously look at a Mac. PC Magazine did a review and a Mac will run Windows the best!
    You can get Office for Mac or you can run Windows.
    I thought I would need Windows when I got it, but have not touched Windows in a year.
    Yea you will pay a little more in the beginning, but the computer will last a long time and you can upgrade to new OS's and not buy a new computer.

Occupation
    After 20 years of waiting for Microsoft to get Windows right, I finally gave up and went with a Mac. I use to have to Windows/95/XP/Vista crash at least once a week if not more, and this is with dozens of different machines.

I've had Mac OS X crash on me exactly two times in 10 months. I won't buy a Windows machine again. Just my 2 cents.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve Machol View Post

I've had Mac OS X crash on me exactly two times in 10 months. I won't buy a Windows machine again. Just my 2 cents.

Mine has not crashed once. I really like the fact that if a program is not working properly the program will shut down, not the whole system.
    I am with you, I will never own another Windows machine.
    I actually installed Ubuntu on an old desktop unit.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by lensgrinder View Post
    Not sure if you are dead set on a Windows machine, but I would seriously look at a Mac. PC Magazine did a review and a Mac will run Windows the best!
    You can get Office for Mac or you can run Windows.
    I thought I would need Windows when I got it, but have not touched Windows in a year.
    Yea you will pay a little more in the beginning, but the computer will last a long time and you can upgrade to new OS's and not buy a new computer.
    The biggest reason why I do not want a Mac is I still do a lot of teamwork between computers. When it comes down to it, when I have worked with people with different operating system, even if they have Office, it has been frustrating. Lots of formatting problems. As for crashing, XP has been a lot better, and I hardly get a crash. Also, I know two people who have had their Mac hard drive crash within a year. Not that Mac is worse, it is better, but the gap is not as far apart as it was.

So, it limits my choice.

After some discussion on this board and with others, I think I am going to look for XP.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    I run Vista Ultimate on one of my puters at work (our POS server) and my main machine at home. I have always wondered at what people were doing to make their Windows machines crash. I have had Vista crash once and that was due to a bad video driver and my home machine has yet to crash, though there have been a few program incompatabilities.
    I just don't know why Vista has such a bad rep, I suspect it's those Mac commercials. My only problems that I've noted have been fixed with SP1, one was slow file copying, and the other was renaming a file in a crowded folder.If there are other problems they have not affected me. I love the DX10 effects in high-end games.

But if I were you, I would get one with XP Pro or at least a XP downgrade.

It is intersting that some people who were predisposed against Vista liked it once they got to use it.
    http://www.mojaveexperiment.com/?fbid=KUfnmMgBylb
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I'm also of the mind set that crashes are a non-issue since Windows XP. I don't really remember the last time I had a crash. Lock-ups are more common. I run nine PCs on Xp pro and have not had a crash in years. Most crashes that I've experienced have been hard drive failures which can happen on any brand or style of computer. A healthy dual-disk system that routinely makes an image of the primary disk on the secondary disk will dramatically reduces the risk of data loss. When solid hard drives are more affordable, the crash potential of PCs will drop nearly nil.

I think it's interesting how many more applications seem to be available for Windows. Incompatibility issues are likely the main reason for 'lock-ups.' Xp has fewer compatibility issues than Vista, although that's probably becoming less true at a rapid rate. Whenever I get my hands on a new PC, I remove all the bloat-ware that is meaningless and streamline the running processes. That helps stabilize the system immensely. Maybe Macs come with less bloat-ware because the availability is more limited. Maybe Macs are also more stable because there are fewer aftermarket applications available to conflict with their system registries.

XP pro is still the operating system of choice for most multi-national corporations and Microsoft will be forced to support it until Vista (or its replacement) is deemed flexible enough by the majority of system engineers. Bosch-Rexroth is an example of a multinational engineering firm that only recently switched from Windows 98 to XP Pro because so much of its tooling and engineering was built around the stable 98 platform. Large corporations don't switch operating systems like the consumers that are only interested in what is the newest. Consumers are the guinea pigs for the serious users.

Windows computers are still much cheaper than Macs. I can have two or three PCs for the cost of a comparable Mac. I know you get what you pay for but that's only up to a limit. The quality of the hard drive that might freeze in a Mac is no better than the quality of the same drive in a PC.

Macs have their advantages in image editing and, in my opinion, video display. Mac is the standard in professional imaging. You can get fine video display in a PC if you really need it for games, artwork, ad workups or professional printing, but it comes easier with Mac. I enjoy high level photography, but find that the PC is still a better option because, like the thread-starter, I'm still oriented mostly to business applications.

Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    Interesting :)

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Mine has not crashed once. I really like the fact that if a program is not working properly the program will shut down, not the whole system.
    I am with you, I will never own another Windows machine.
    When my daughter was attending the Art Institute of Pittsburgh in their computer graphics program, they had a row of Macs in their lab. She was disgusted because no one could get through a day without their Mac crashing.So she did her work at home on her PC and brought it to school so she could get credit for work done without crashing in class.

I have thought about putting Ubuntu on one of my other hard drives since Happy Heron seems to work well.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Occupation
    I tend to push my computer to the limits since my job is all internet-based. So I'm on it about 8-10 hours a day, and have dozens of browser windows open as well as multiple applications. Mac OS X handles this load far better than Windows XP/Vista.

For those people who do not use a computer the way I do, I'm sure that crashes and problems are less likely.

OptiBoard Administrator
    ----
    OptiBoard has been proudly serving the Eyecare Community since 1995.

Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    The biggest reason why I do not want a Mac is I still do a lot of teamwork between computers. When it comes down to it, when I have worked with people with different operating system, even if they have Office, it has been frustrating. Lots of formatting problems.
    Not sure what kind of formatting problems you have, but I receive all kinds of different formats from students and I am able to open anything.

Quote Originally Posted by icare View Post
    I'm also of the mind set that crashes are a non-issue since Windows XP.
    I am ADD when it comes to computers. I have two monitors and many programs open and my Mac never misses a beat. I can use the same specs on a PC and it has crased. If someone uses a computer as a word processor and internet browswer then I would say go for the cheaper PC.
    I think it's interesting how many more applications seem to be available for Windows.
    But the good quality programs are for a Mac;)

Windows computers are still much cheaper than Macs. I can have two or three PCs for the cost of a comparable Mac.
    Yes, but when the new OS comes out you will not be able to load onto your existing machines. You will need to buy a new PC. Most Mac users have them for a long time over a couple of OS's.

Quote Originally Posted by Jacqui View Post
    Interesting :)
    I am enjoying it and I am about to put it on another box.
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    I have thought about putting Ubuntu on one of my other hard drives since Happy Heron seems to work well.
    The new version comes out in ten days. I am really enjoying it, but it is not an everyday OS that I use.

Thread Information