Thread: New LifeRx v Old LifeRx

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

New LifeRx v Old LifeRx

What is the difference between the new LifeRx that was just released?
    Can they be mixed?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    Hopefully it doesn't delaminate. I've had well over 50% come back in the last two years, and rate is going up because there are more out there.

If I need a FT 28 in Poly photchromatic, I've recently gone Trivex. But, I've rotten luck with Trivex and AR.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I have learned not to use it on semiremless and higher plus jobs. I bet you will have a dramatic decrease in returns if you stick to that!

OptiBoard Professional
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    From what I've read, the "new" Life Rx lenses are more durable and do not delaminate as easily. I'm not sure I believe it though. I have had so many Life Rx lenses come back, even after they supposedly fixed the delamination problem. I have switched to Trivex and have had good results.

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Blue Jumper

I am just trying to find out if the new and old LifeRx can be mixed!

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Optical Laboratory Technician
    Quote Originally Posted by LENNY View Post
    I am just trying to find out if the new and old LifeRx can be mixed!

No! don't mix them!

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Why?

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    the old Life RX had bad adhesive that held the lens together. They have a huge rate of return for delamination, send them back for credit! The new ones are "better" I am using that lightly as we dont have long term results yet. The color and design of the lens is supposed to be the same so if you really need to mix them its not going to hurt anyone but you when you have to remake them.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)

Old vs New

Quote Originally Posted by FullCircle View Post
    No! don't mix them!

You can mix the old and new LifeRx inventories. The photochromic performance is unchanged; however our lamination process has changed quite a bit after many many tests.

You can also return the old product.

Here is a link to learn more:

http://www.vision-ease.com/home/prof...gy/liferx.aspx

I work for Vision-Ease and can answer any questions you may have.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hey NickJ,

Welcome to Optiboard!!!

:cheers::cheers::cheers:

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Thanks Fezz

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    I wouldn't mix them due to the lamination issues. If you mix old and new, and a customer comes back, how will you know which is which?

I'd send them back. Start fresh. So far the new ones have been working well with no problems

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    If you mix old and new, and a customer comes back, how will you know which is which?
    The new LifeRx lenses have a laser marking, have different OPCs (part numbers), come in different packaging & we recently extended base curves that were not previously offered in the old product line.

Vision-Ease does recommend that you return all old product and will give a warranty/replace with new lenses.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Really relieved to find that other opticians beside myself hold off on the latest an greatest 'til its been out there a while to see if claims have anything to do with the real world, or if they last in the real world. Never even tried New Coke.

Chip

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Vision-Ease Lens officially launched new LifeRx light responsive lenses at Vision Expo West in Las Vegas.

We realize that some of you may have experienced issues with delamination. And while the percentage of delams was small, even one is too many. We took immediate action. We researched and have addressed the causes as well as developed an extensive protocol and testing method.

Over 60 laminates were tested before a new cross-linked urethane was selected. The new lamination is ten times stronger with better chemical resistance. It has gone through testing with temperature extremes from -15° F to over 150° F mounted in frames with higher stress levels and coated in artificial sweat and skin oils! In addition, we have done extensive wearer trials to verify the internal lab findings.

At the same time, Vision-Ease Lens expanded the product offering with additional base curves for the spherical single vision to be used in direct surfacing applications.

What has not changed is the photochromic performance. LifeRx is still as clear as a clear lens indoors with no residual tint, has rapid activation when exposed to UV and still has the fastest deactivation speed of any photochromic lens for greater comfort, convenience and safety for your patients.

Vision-Ease has worked with all of the labs to convert their inventories to the new product. Lenses ordered after September 29th of 2008 will be the new LifeRx, noted by the new package design.

Also notable is the fact the Vision-Ease Lens is the 1st lens manufacturer to have implemented a comprehensive sustainability initiative, including purchasing 100% renewable energy for our Ramsey, Minnesota facility. Each pair of LifeRx lenses is produced using renewable energy eliminating 10.5 lbs. of CO2 emissions.

I encourage you try to for yourself. Contact a Vision-Ease Lens Sales Representative at 800-328-3449 to learn more or go click www.vision-ease.com

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Nickj View Post
    The new LifeRx lenses have a laser marking, have different OPCs (part numbers), come in different packaging & we recently extended base curves that were not previously offered in the old product line.

Vision-Ease does recommend that you return all old product and will give a warranty/replace with new lenses.

What I mean is once they've been cut and dispensed and the optician is looking at them, it's harder to tell.

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    I still remember when we were all told there was just one bad batch of Life Rx for the delamination issues. Too bad that batch seemed to stretch 2 years.

Trivex or 1.6 for my FT 28 photchromatic.

Harry

Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Ve should work on -

Well AS FOR LIFE RX -

As you can see in their own writings - they mention nothing about being darker then the transition brands - and the last time i knew
    THIS IS WHAT THESE PTs WANT -
    A DARK LENS !

These are far - far from it ! -
    You could clearly see the pts eyes - when fully activated .

Don't get me wrong - being clear indoors is also a plus - However - I have had way to many complaints and REDO's with PT's being extremely unhappy with them not getting dark !! NO where close !

So for our office - UNTIL VE gets their density issues corrected - WE decided to stop using them - for SV and PAL's
    We do still SOMETIMES use them for rimless ft28's - BUT THAT is about it

Pts seem to be much happier -

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Lens Manufacturer
    Fool me once shame on me
    fool me twice shame on you
    fool me three times ???

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    [quote=bt5050;267340]Well AS FOR LIFE RX -

As you can see in their own writings - they mention nothing about being darker then the transition brands - and the last time i knew
    THIS IS WHAT THESE PTs WANT -
    A DARK LENS !

Jobson Medical Information LLC, publisher of 20/20 & VisionMonday conducts a consumer survey every year called Visionwatch. They survey 100,000 eye wear consumers on various topics. In 2005, when consumers were surveyed about photochromic technologies, the two most common complaints with their lenses were the residual tint indoors and slow deactivation speed. These were the items Vision-Ease Lens chose to address with LifeRx.

Indoors in its unactivated state, the light transmission of LifeRx is 90.5%, as clear as a clear polycarbonate lens, while the leading competitor has some residual tint.
    When exposed to UV at 72° F, LifeRx will darken to a density of 85% (Gray 3) in 1 minute. We realize that this is not the darkest tint available however photochromics are not designed to be nor should they be sold as a replacement for sunglasses.

The other consumer complaint with photochromics is the length of time it takes to deactivate. In many cases this can be a serious safety issue. LifeRx lenses deactivate 30 to 180% more quickly than our competitors, a distinct advantage. At 72° F, LifeRx will fade to about a 70% transmission in 3 minutes, while a leading competitor is only at about 35%. At cooler temperatures, their slower fade back is even more of an issue effecting comfort, convenience and safety.

Vision-Ease Lens designed LifeRx lenses to accommodate the more prevalent moderate and cooler climates of North America. Photochromics that are designed to get darker at higher temperatures have severe limitations in cooler temperature. So which is more important for your patients, slightly darker lenses on hot days, or the ability to see important visual information in all temperatures?

For more information on LifeRx light - responsive lenses performance please visit www.vision-ease.com or contact your Vision-Ease sales rep for more information

Thread Information