Thread: Frames for patients with Downs.

OptiBoard Apprentice
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

Frames for patients with Downs.

This website provides specially designed frames for Downs patients.
    http://www.specs4us.com/index.html
    Any one have any experience using this product?

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I do.
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Sorry for the short reply. I just picked the line up in August. It's a niche product, so I can't really gauge sales yet.

Last edited by Johns; 10-09-2008 at 10:44 AM.

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    What burns me is they recommend taking their frames to Wal-Mart.And a replacement frame will cost you after 90 days, and then only for actual defects.

So I 'll not ever carry them. I'm surprised Johns is.But he may have someone personal that needs them.
    Of course, you can take about any frame and reshape them to fit higher and shorter.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    What burns me is they recommend taking their frames to Wal-Mart.

So I 'll not ever carry them. I'm surprised Johns is.But he may have someone personal that needs them.
    Of course, you can take about any frame and reshape them to fit higher and shorter.
    Hey! I never saw that.

Here's why I carried them. The owner of the company is an aquaintance of my sister-in-law, who is involved in a few Downs associations.

The most appealing aspect is the web-site referal.

I'm going to give her a call, and have her log on and post. Better yet, I'll forward this link to her. This would be the place she'd want to promote her product.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if WM even carries, or they just enjoy the referals w/out any investment?

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by Johns View Post
    Hey! I never saw that.

Here's why I carried them. The owner of the company is an aquaintance of my sister-in-law, who is involved in a few Downs associations.

The most appealing aspect is the web-site referal.

I'm going to give her a call, and have her log on and post. Better yet, I'll forward this link to her. This would be the place she'd want to promote her product.

Now that I think of it, I wonder if WM even carries, or they just enjoy the referals w/out any investment?
    According to their FAQ, WM doesn't carry the frames but they only charge $30 for their polycarbs. I think they have no business promoting one company over the others AND posting lens prices online. Just not a good way to impress independent opticians.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's a needed product. I've worked in the very first Special Olympics and at Downs' camps. You get absolutely the best hugs ever.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    [quote=DragonLensmanWV;266380]According to their FAQ, WM doesn't carry the frames but they only charge $30 for their polycarbs. I think they have no business promoting one company over the others AND posting lens prices online. Just not a good way to impress independent opticians.
    Now, don't get me wrong, I think it's a needed product. I've worked in the very first Special Olympics and at Downs' camps. You get absolutely the best hugs ever.[/quote}

Ironically, we have many special needs clients that come to us because they were unhappy not having a warranty on the WM lenses, while we replace scratched lenses w/no questions asked.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    Optical Wholesale Lab (other positions)
    I am sorry you feel so strong about carry this frame line, It is stated... if you don't know where else to go there is .. Walmart. These parents have lots of burdens and many have no insurance. Our first concern as opticians should be that a child is fit with the best frame for them. you can not adjust any frame made today to fit like these. You are only loosing business by not carrying them because parents are going crazy trying to find optical offices that do carry them and they will drive an hour to get to them.

Rising Star OptiBoard Silver Supporter
    Occupation
    Optometrist
    "Most places that charge a lot of money for it will have unlimited warranties"

Borrowed from the FAQ, hope you don't mind. I think the numbers you list may be a little misleading and cause some problems with parents down the road.

Why not have them visit their local eye care provider who they already have a relationship with and ask them for specifics? I don't personally think its hard for patients to find access to care.

Great product though, I'll definitely keep you guys in mind.

[most places couldn't stay in business selling poly for $30. But then again they also don't sell you $100s worth of groceries each time you come in either....]

I was just asking on here the other day about a pair of glasses for a special needs child. There really is a lack of options. (adding you to my rolodex)

cheers.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It looks like a great product and very much needed. Have you considered expanding the line to include teen and adult sizes? I think it is needed there, too.
    Last edited by Happylady; 10-09-2008 at 05:35 PM.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation
    I totally agree, and I tell parents to ask about a warranty. I think parents prefer the attention they get in a private office. Thanks

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Am I missing sumpthin here? Those frames look to me as though they have just been turned upside down, by switching the temples. I do notice the nosepad arms were attached with that in mind so the temples weren't just switched. But, you could switch temples on many frames and recurve the pad arm and come up with the same thing.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Quote Originally Posted by specs4us View Post
    I am sorry you feel so strong about carry this frame line, It is stated... if you don't know where else to go there is .. Walmart. These parents have lots of burdens and many have no insurance. Our first concern as opticians should be that a child is fit with the best frame for them. you can not adjust any frame made today to fit like these. You are only loosing business by not carrying them because parents are going crazy trying to find optical offices that do carry them and they will drive an hour to get to them.
    I think the company should decide whom they want to carry their frames, independents or big box opticals.Since the price is so high, I'm sure no opticals would carry them unless there's a wholesale price also.It looks like it's designed to be an online-only frame company.
    I think the company should rewrite it's FAQ if it wants independents to carry them. The WM remark is a real killer for me.:finger: I carry few lines that are available at WM or Lux stores.The warranty reminds me of LC - "we'll replace it, but your replacement will be this many dollars." Of course, I'm aware that if there's any real defect, bad solder, etc, that it will be replaced, but since these kids are not too different from others and will break their frames frequently, I think there will be a fairly large re-order percentage. Good for the manufacturer, even at reduced price. Sorry for being so cynical this morning.I really do think their intentions are honorable, just need some fine-tuning on their marketing.
    And I'm not losing business by not carrying them. I do quite a lot of business with our local Down's children and adults. It's not like there are no other frames that will work, though the website does show some really bad fits. The small bridge and high cheekbones pose only a small challenge in modifying a close-fitting frame into a perfect-fitting frame.As they are usually high plus, vertex distance must be considered as well as the flatter back curves on the lenses. And there are better materials than polycarb for their high-plus lenses.
    Last edited by DragonLensmanWV; 10-10-2008 at 08:45 AM.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

OptiBoard Novice
    Occupation

Eyewear for Children with Down Syndrome

Specs4us would like to announce that they have several new Models and sizes. The frame line fits infants through adults and Clip-on sunglasses are available for all Models. (Although most parents prefer transistions) Frames are listed in Frame Data and being shipped to offices all over the world.

Occupation
    Optical Retail
    !!
    Last edited by DragonLensmanWV; 12-10-2009 at 09:45 PM.
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Has anybody else on Optiboard used this product?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    i showed the website to the mom of a patient i had last week, she loved the idea that someone was doing these, but we were able to find a frame in stock that worked perfectly.

It took me forever to find the thread and website, so now it is book marked.

Optician Extraordinaire
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonLensmanWV View Post
    Congratulations on rewriting the FAQ!
    Much more reasonable. Nice to have someone who listens.
    I take back all my remarks!
    They still recommend Walmart and Sams Club. Walmart puts cheap AR that doesn't hold up well on their SV poly lenses. I wonder if the owner of the company realizes this.

I don't see a price anywhere.

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I'm continuing this thread in the Professional Area...

Thread Information