• Neah

2 7.14%
  • Who Cares

9 32.14%

Thread: Shady or Not?

Occupation
    Other Eyecare-Related Field

Post Shady or Not?

I have always lived off the philosophy, "you don't crap where you eat" and I find that is especially true in business. So here's my question to you, what if you found out that a vendor that sells products to you is currently in your area soliciting accounts for finished eyewear? I won't go into the details but our vendor is signing up accounts to purchase eyewear direct from their lab. Do you find this Shady, yeah or neah?

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    is it, or would it take business away from you? i think thats the most important question

if it is like oakley where their "labs" do the lens work, thats one thing, but if its a set up where he has a deal with XXY Lab that will cut him a deal for the frames he carries, but it wouldnt really impact your business then i dont see an issue with it.

i would probably choose not to use their lab unless i had issues with my current lab/s of choice.

unless i read that completely wrong, and i am way off base here.... i just confused myself

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    confused also

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I read into this that this vendor is someone like a safety/sport type who is going directly to the end user. This could be for the safety only, or for regular eyewear as well. If any of this sounds close, I would toss them. Your analogy is exactly on target.

All of the above is my interpretation of the limited info given, and opinion derived on how I read it.

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by obxeyeguy View Post
    I read into this that this vendor is someone like a safety/sport type who is going directly to the end user. This could be for the safety only, or for regular eyewear as well. If any of this sounds close, I would toss them. Your analogy is exactly on target.

All of the above is my interpretation of the limited info given, and opinion derived on how I read it.
    Spot on, but I am not trying to go to much into this untill I get more details about the proposal. The company would be in direct competition with us so our decision has been made to stop carrying the frame line no big loss anyway except for thier other rep who probably didn't know.

Our current office was workign with a safety company that was using our staff to fit and dispense their work, untill I went out and was greeted by poor quality work and upset patients, apparently they were being lead to believe that the work was being done by our office so it directly impacted our reputation, to top it off their agreement with our office was they would send them to our office for exams and in reality they told them they could get their exams anywhere. We cut the program but our office is still feeling the impact of the poor reputation from the employees towards us.

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Seems rather shady to me!

:cheers::cheers::D

Occupation
    Quote Originally Posted by Fezz View Post
    Seems rather shady to me!

:cheers::cheers::D
    Me too but I had to run it through the Fezzometer. :D

Master OptiBoarder OptiBoard Gold Supporter DragonLensmanWV's Avatar
    Occupation
    Optical Retail
    Anytime one of our suppliers tries to end-around us is the last time I'll deal with them.:angry:
    DragonlensmanWV N.A.O.L.
    "There is nothing patriotic about hating your government or pretending you can hate your government but love your country."

Manuf. Lens Surface Treatments
    Occupation
    Other Optical Manufacturer or Vendor

Blue Jumper Fezzometer .......................

Quote Originally Posted by HarryChiling View Post

Me too but I had to run it through the Fezzometer. :D
    So what does the Fezzometer indicate ? ..............too much yellow liquid at lunch?

:cheers: :hammer:

Master OptiBoarder
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    If this entails a fair amount of employees, which it more than likely does, I would try to get it set straight with the the safety director first. If no luck, I hope you have records of the people you fit over time. I would then direct mail something to them that states the facts. Not a great alternative, but maybe the best you can do to stop the bleeding for now. If the poor quality continues, they will then see the truth.

Banned
    Only City in the World built over a Volcano
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    You guys just won't learn will you?

Optical rule #1: Don't trust anybody!

OptiWizard
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    Hmmm... I'm pretty sure I have a couple of companies that try to sell me frames and then turn around and market the same frames retail. If I could only remember their names... Oh yeah Lens Crafters and Eye Masters.

Thomas
    Help Optiboard $5.00 a month through Paypal

OptiBoard Professional Dannyboy's Avatar
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    I always wondered why some independent (OPT, ODs and OMDs) are so dumb that they buy from those companies that are in direct competition with them. There are plenty of companies to buy from. trust no one and never give your total business to a single source.

Dannyboy

Ophthalmic Optician
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician
    It happened to me about 8 years ago, and it was a lab that I did quite a bit of business with. I told them that if they valued my business they'd better not call on my accounts. They didn't back off.

Funny thing is, they did land the account, but then lost it after a few months. They then came back and tried to get my lab business again!

Yeah, that's going to happen!:hammer:

It just goes to show you how little loyalty some of these labs really have. And the thing is, there's not even that much money in chasing those factories. They're just trying to keep the edgers running, but they end up cutting off their nose to spite their face.:finger:
    Ophthalmic Optician, Society to Advance Opticianry

Bad address email on file
    Occupation
    Dispensing Optician

More Detail Please!

Harry,
    I would like more detail about your predicament.
    What type of products doea he supply you?
    Is this Rep attempting to persuade new clients to have their lenses cut and edged at this Lab? Using their specific collection of frames?
    James :cheers:

Thread Information